Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hewastl286

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 18, 2019
The battery health in my iphone xs fall from 94% to 89% in just one night. is this normal?

Spetsgruppa

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2021
Does your phone work? Then quit worrying about battery health. Use and enjoy your phone.
OP has the rights to be worried though.94% to 89% in one night is insane IF the meter was accurate. Thus OP made the thread.

jeyf

macrumors 68020
Jan 20, 2009
there is no way the firmware can guess the current state of the battery chemistry.
the # is not accurate...

Reactions: canuckRus

Spetsgruppa

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2021
Does their phone work? If it does, then just use the phone! Why is battery health so important if the phone works???
Im guessing youre a fireman? For example If 1 tank of oxygen at full capacity is supposed to last 5 hours but the meter says 3 hours would you suspect something is wrong? Or youre just gonna be like it still stores oxygen? Why would i need to be worried??? God knows when youre gonna need the extra 2 hours of oxygen. OP just needed assurance. Thats it.

Reactions: Jutah and Moyapilot

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
Yesterday morning my battery health said 83%. Later in the afternoon it said 95%. This morning it says 93% and tomorrow it will say something different.
It fluctuates regularly between 81% and 97%.
Just goes to show that you can't rely on it for anything

Reactions: Spetsgruppa

macdogpro

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2020
They should just take out the battery health info on every devices like on the iPads. Just gives us warning when usage behavior could harm the battery, like on the iPad.

tedley

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2009
Sacramento
The meter that reads the battery potential is definitely not accurate. My tale goes in the other direction. I have an iPhone 8plus that I purchased in September of 2018. In October 2020, the health said 82%. I had noticed because my battery life had started to slowly decline. Since October of last year, the battery has continued to decline at an accelerated rate. Battery health as of today, 82%

I think the feature is unreliable enough that it should be removed. It's pretty useless and causes our OCD-afflicted friends much consternation.

Just my 2 cents

hewastl286

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 18, 2019
i have set up my iphone to complete new (deledet all the data and set it up like a new phone - no icloud backup)
then it dropped to 89%

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
Im guessing youre a fireman? For example If 1 tank of oxygen at full capacity is supposed to last 5 hours but the meter says 3 hours would you suspect something is wrong? Or youre just gonna be like it still stores oxygen? Why would i need to be worried??? God knows when youre gonna need the extra 2 hours of oxygen. OP just needed assurance. Thats it.
1. I am a retired firefighter. 2. That has nothing to do with battery life. 3. I have an iPhone 5s that still works and I could care less what the battery life is. If it dies I will replace it. I just use and enjoy my phones for what they are. All batteries will eventually die.

Do you monitor you cars battery life? Most likely no (just an assumption on my part). So why is that different than a phone. A car sure cost more than a phone.

Reactions: Lwii2boo

Spetsgruppa

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2021
1. I am a retired firefighter. 2. That has nothing to do with battery life. 3. I have an iPhone 5s that still works and I could care less what the battery life is. If it dies I will replace it. I just use and enjoy my phones for what they are. All batteries will eventually die.

Do you monitor you cars battery life? Most likely no (just an assumption on my part). So why is that different than a phone. A car sure cost more than a phone.
i actually do monitor my car battery too. its has this color bar(idk what its called but its there) to know hows the health.if it changes color ill be going to bring my car to the shop for warranty(18 months warranty).

well,you were saying about just use it,if it works its good.thats what i understood from what you said.however it isnt that easy for some people.you might like beef but i might hate it.you cant just tell people who hate beef to just suck it up and eat it since its food.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.