Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HUGE AL

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 4, 2010
Was handed down a 2019 15” MacBook Pro and am going to use it in a remote office. As it will be stationary on a desk the entire time, wanted to know the best way to treat the internal battery. Apple recommends fully discharging it once a month. Do I just keep it plugged in the rest of the time? Understand there ARE battery cycles the computer clocks.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Keep it plugged in and macOS will automatically hold charging after a week or two. It'll bounce between 80-100% for a few days and then hold at 70-80% charge. You don't need to manage it beyond that.

Jim Lahey

macrumors 68030
Apr 8, 2014
I use AlDente Pro, an excellent app which lets you limit the maximum charge put into the battery. It has quite a few neat customisable parameters and an automatic calibration routine that you can run once a month or whenever you like. In my experience it‘s a much better solution than using Apple’s optimised charging setting, as it gives you full control over everything.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.