Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chopper read

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 22, 2014
Hi Guys,

Battery seems to only last about 5 hours I reckon with normal admin use. When I check the health it says its only had 540 cycles out of 1000 and condition is normal. My wife used to use my Mac a lot and she's not great with charging so doesn't charge till its run out. Is the cycles a good representative of how the health is. Should it be lasting longer? Im running Big Sur.

Thanks

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
Batteries naturally deteriorate over time. So it's not unusual that after 6 years your battery has lost some of its running time. Also, letting a battery run down till it's empty before recharging is not good for it.

The number of cycles really does not represent overall battery health, it's how you use it and take care of it that counts.

I would keep using it until you feel that you need to either get a new battery or a new MacBook Air.

Chopper read

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 22, 2014
Batteries naturally deteriorate over time. So it's not unusual that after 6 years your battery has lost some of its running time. Also, letting a battery run down till it's empty before recharging is not good for it.

The number of cycles really does not represent overall battery health, it's how you use it and take care of it that counts.

I would keep using it until you feel that you need to either get a new battery or a new MacBook Air.
Thanks. I’ve actually ordered a new Apple battery but just wanted to make sure I was going to notice some difference. I didn’t check the cycles till after I’d ordered and when it said it was okay I thought surely it isn’t.

Audit13

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Thanks. I’ve actually ordered a new Apple battery but just wanted to make sure I was going to notice some difference. I didn’t check the cycles till after I’d ordered and when it said it was okay I thought surely it isn’t.
Install coconut flavor to check battery health. A reading of 80 or less means the battery is probably ready for replacement.

Chopper read

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 22, 2014
Install coconut flavor to check battery health. A reading of 80 or less means the battery is probably ready for replacement.
Mega thanks, it’s saying 92%. So maybe I’m just expecting too much.

Does anyone know what the usage times were back in 2014.

Chopper read

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 22, 2014
I have an early 2015 13" and, while surfing and using email, I get around 6 hours to 6.5 hours. My battery is at 98%.
Thanks, Ive cancelled getting a new battery and I think this is fine I was just expecting too much. its not like im on the move with it anyway.

Thanks for everyones help ?

Reactions: Audit13
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.