Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

planteater

Cancelled
Original poster
Feb 11, 2020
My iPhone 8+ is just shy of 3 years old. The battery is showing 82 percent, which I feel is pretty good. Hoping to keep the phone one more year.

Question; at what percentage does the peak performance degrade?

Lwii2boo

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2020
Paris, France
Below 80% problems tends to appear. I would recommend you to replace your battery if you want to keep your phone for at least 1 or 2 years. If not, better to upgrade directly the phone when you're ready.

planteater

Cancelled
Original poster
Feb 11, 2020
I won’t replace the battery. It’s too difficult to coordinate. If it degrades or has issues I’ll just buy the latest greatest that Apple is selling. I’m just trying to get to the next generation of iPhones which I feel is a year or two away.

Lwii2boo

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2020
Paris, France
Changing a phone battery is really easy. And if you don't want to do it yourself, you can find reliable people to do it. The important thing is to have a quality battery. In 2018, I had paid 29€ in a French Apple Store to have my battery replaced by a new one on my iPhone 7 after 2 years of use. It was really another phone afterwards!

If you want to keep your phone for another two years, you should seriously consider this option, it will really give your phone a second life for a very little cost.

planteater

Cancelled
Original poster
Feb 11, 2020
Changing a phone battery is really easy. And if you don't want to do it yourself, you can find reliable people to do it. The important thing is to have a quality battery. In 2018, I had paid 29€ in a French Apple Store to have my battery replaced by a new one on my iPhone 7 after 2 years of use. It was really another phone afterwards!

If you want to keep your phone for another two years, you should seriously consider this option, it will really give your phone a second life for a very little cost.
I’m not opposed to it. It’s just that I essentially live in a truck as an over the road driver. Physically getting to a repair shop is next to impossible. Buying a new phone is much easier from a parking perspective. :)

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
Battery throttling wil occur if the phone experiences an unexpected shutdown. You'll see it in the Battery settings. Crashes usually only occur in cold weather when your battery is cold.

Here's another way to think about battery capacity percentage:

If a big phone like a Plus has a battery capacity of 3000mAh when new, (as an example using an arbitrary number) when it degrades to 80% capacity, it will become a 2400mAh battery. If a small iPhone when new has a 2400mAh battery, then the big Plus phone that's lost 20% due to aging will pretty much be equivalent to a new small iPhone with a new battery.

80% remaining capacity isn't a death knell, it's just 20% less than what it was when new. The iPhone won't last as long in a charge but it'll still be as fast as a brand new battery.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
My iPhone 8+ is just shy of 3 years old. The battery is showing 82 percent, which I feel is pretty good. Hoping to keep the phone one more year.

Question; at what percentage does the peak performance degrade?
Peak performance is degraded to some degree already when the battery is in the lower 90s, it becomes more pronounced in the 80s, and around 80 and below it it generally becomes more unstable/unreliable.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
80% remaining capacity isn't a death knell, it's just 20% less than what it was when new. The iPhone won't last as long in a charge but it'll still be as fast as a brand new battery.
When it comes to batteries 80% carries more meaning/impact than just capacity and relates to overall stability and reliability as well.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
Battery throttling wil occur if the phone experiences an unexpected shutdown. You'll see it in the Battery settings. Crashes usually only occur in cold weather when your battery is cold.

Here's another way to think about battery capacity percentage:

If a big phone like a Plus has a battery capacity of 3000mAh when new, (as an example using an arbitrary number) when it degrades to 80% capacity, it will become a 2400mAh battery. If a small iPhone when new has a 2400mAh battery, then the big Plus phone that's lost 20% due to aging will pretty much be equivalent to a new small iPhone with a new battery.

It's not just the capacity. When Lithium batteries age, its ability to deliver consistent voltage is also compromised.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.