Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Boing123

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 30, 2024
My work requires me to almost exclusively have Teams calls for most of the day.

My M1 iPad Pro goes from a full charge to a little under 50% in 3 hours and indeed fully dead around the 6 hour mark (it is quite linear).

I know Teams is a resource hog but it still seems excessive…

RLRabb

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2011
What’s your screen brightness setting? (I don’t use Teams so can’t comment on normal battery use for that.)

Reverend Benny

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2017
Europe
@Boing123

Teams is one of the worst when it comes to munching battery.

It's become slightly better on Mac and PC recently with the new Teams app being released, but its still bad.
I am mostly using it on my iPhone rather then the iPad and its actually alright on the iPhone, still draining but not crazy bad.

You can change a few settings to maybe save a bit of battery such as enable "reduce data usage/low bandwith mode) turn camera off, making sure you have decent Wi-Fi coverage and so on. But it will still be quite bad.

Its no comfort but Teams on the PC is even worse. I'm on a brand new Windows 11 machine (HP elitebook 840) at work with the latest Teams client and 3 hours in a teams meeting and its time for me to plug in the charger.

Not sure if the new Teams Client will end up being released on mobile devices, but from what I can remember its two fairly different versions and the new Teams client on the desktop computers are based on the mobile client (could be wrong here tho).

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
That's a little less surprising than if it was the 12.9-inch. It's still somewhat surprising though. I've never had serious battery drain issues with Teams on any M1 Mac (be it Air or 13-inch MacBook Pro).
@Boing123

Teams is one of the worst when it comes to munching battery.

It's become slightly better on Mac and PC recently with the new Teams app being released, but its still bad.
I am mostly using it on my iPhone rather then the iPad and its actually alright on the iPhone, still draining but not crazy bad.

You can change a few settings to maybe save a bit of battery such as enable "reduce data usage/low bandwith mode) turn camera off, making sure you have decent Wi-Fi coverage and so on. But it will still be quite bad.

Its no comfort but Teams on the PC is even worse. I'm on a brand new Windows 11 machine (HP elitebook 840) at work with the latest Teams client and 3 hours in a teams meeting and its time for me to plug in the charger.

Not sure if the new Teams Client will end up being released on mobile devices, but from what I can remember its two fairly different versions and the new Teams client on the desktop computers are based on the mobile client (could be wrong here tho).
Honestly, I've never had battery drain issues with Teams on MacBooks running the standard M1. The 4-port 2020 Intel 13-inch MacBook Pro would get to empty in anywhere from 1/4 to 1/3 of the time that the M1 2020 13-inch MacBook Pro would. Figure slightly less on an M1 Air, but still leaps and bounds better than said Intel.

Reactions: Reverend Benny
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.