Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TPadden

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2010
I think people here are confusing something: isn’t the factor to determine whether it’s light or moderate use the way you use the device, not how much you use the device, when factoring screen-on time?
Not in my opinion; when the device is a phone, screen on time is a pretty good measure of use. Most use a different device for serious gaming, simulations, and video rendering. ;)

Last edited:

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
Not in my opinion; when the device is a phone, screen on time is a pretty good measure of use. Most use a different device for serious gaming, simulations, and video rendering. ;)
I disagree, reducing brightness from 100% to, let’s say, 30% can have a huge difference. It can even be twice the battery life. Don’t go to gaming, simply comparing Wi-Fi and indoor brightness to outdoor brightness (80-100%) and LTE (in which case signal strength can vary significantly) can yield a significant difference on total screen-on time.

I gave two examples of factors that may change daily and impact battery life significantly, there are many more. Screen-on time alone tells me nothing.

TPadden

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2010
I gave two examples of factors that may change daily and impact battery life significantly, there are many more. Screen-on time alone tells me nothing.
Then I guess the only way to tell you anything would be to tell you everything every day because yesterday, today, and tomorrow will all be different. ;)

I just don't have the time or inclination to keep you posted "daily". It's a phone that's battery lasts longer than I need it to. :)

Last edited:

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
Then I guess the only way to tell you anything would be to tell you everything every day because yesterday, today, and tomorrow will all be different. ;)

I just don't have the time or inclination to keep you posted "daily". It's a phone that's battery lasts longer than I need it to. :)
No, not really. Simply saying: with high brightness and LTE, using some social media, web browsing and a few phone calls I got around 6 hours of SOT, whereas web browsing, some note-taking and a little social media with Wi-Fi and 30% brightness resulted in around 8 hours of SOT gives me a general idea which can be adapted to my usage.

Is your usage heavier? Then you’re looking at 5 hours. Therefore, depending on usage, you can get 5-8 hours. That’s pretty accurate.

Do you play heavy games? Then throw everything away and try it, because I have no idea. Rough estimate? 3-5 hours.

That gives an estimate for nearly every use case.

Reactions: macintoshmac

ACG12

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2015
I had an iPhone 7 with a smart battery case and now an SE with the same. Battery life has never been a concern.

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
I specifically wanted dual SIM for travel (back when that was still possible) plus my old phone's battery is shot so *I* have a reason.

Others may not have and I have no doubt that for some, the old design (which I prefer) is considered a negative. That said, the SE 2's $400 price point has always been geared towards older models, designs and/or chipsets. For new styles, $650 has always been Apple's minimum.

On the notched devices (X and above), the dual-SIM symbol is in the signal reception indicator. I have not seen an SE photo that shows that. Is that indicator only for notched devices or does the SE also have that symbol?

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
On the notched devices (X and above), the dual-SIM symbol is in the signal reception indicator. I have not seen an SE photo that shows that. Is that indicator only for notched devices or does the SE also have that symbol?
Considering non-notch phones actually have the full width available for the status icons (even has space for battery percentage), I don't see why it wouldn't be there.

Haven't had the chance to test dual SIM yet. I was going to put my normal AT&T line on eSIM and use the physical Nano SIM slot for local SIM during travel.

Reactions: macintoshmac

limhenry

macrumors newbie
May 5, 2020
Thailand / Malaysia

Dual SIM Indicator on iPhone SE:

A3C1B627-1AD9-4D53-A43C-B2BE9E268D19.png 44B61939-AEC4-46C2-91AD-8EF681A4ED12.png

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
Thank you @limhenry for that screenshot. I am on an 8, and considering the SE for its dual-SIM capabilities and justifiable price point. Tough competition between this device and iPhone XR in terms of price and a few features now, such as Face ID and better battery life. Downside is size on the XR, obviously.

imp3rator

macrumors 6502a
Dec 25, 2019
I get 10 hours SoT with 30% brightness and wifi with safari, instagram, mail, youtube on iPhone 11

Reactions: Tsepz

Ryguy18

macrumors member
May 15, 2020
Jersey City
My SE2 is sufficient for the day except when that day involves using Apple Maps guidance while driving & streaming Spotify in high quality. 1.5 hour drive and the phone went from full to 55%. Still not a problem because I keep a charging cable in each car, this was just a test to see how quickly GPS would drain the battery.

Reactions: 5105973

tonybarnaby

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2017
My SE2 is sufficient for the day except when that day involves using Apple Maps guidance while driving & streaming Spotify in high quality. 1.5 hour drive and the phone went from full to 55%. Still not a problem because I keep a charging cable in each car, this was just a test to see how quickly GPS would drain the battery.
I wonder how much that kind of activity would hit the 11 series?

Dingster101

macrumors regular
Jun 1, 2015
Im barely making it through an 8 hour shift right now. Off charger at 22:30 till 7 am with very little usage( hospital worker) since I use my MB Air. By 7 I’m down to ~30%

jimmy_uk

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2015
UK
I would always factor in a few wireless chargers if buying a SE 2020. One on the office desk, one were ever you lounge at home. That way the battery is always topped up without much thought. Easy to say during the covid crisis I guess as we're not out and about as much.

My main concern would be living in a poor cellular area - constantly looking for signal hits the battery hard for my households phones.

It’s sufficient because it’s still on 100% battery health. Wait until it drops to 85% next year.
For the last two years I've had Apple replace the battery in my 7 Plus to keep it at peak performance. This is always an option and for a device I use everyday, all day, the £50 charge is worth it.

Reactions: 5105973

boswald

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2016
Florida
It depends on my usage, but I can typically go a half-day with YouTube and Apple Music. Then again, I only use Apple apps or webpages to enjoy content, so your mileage may vary.

frankenhooker

macrumors member
Feb 10, 2018
I took mine off charge just before 6am this morning, listened to music for at least two hours via Bluetooth headphones (and via 4g), watched perhaps 30 minutes of YouTube, 3 1/2 hours screen on time and I have 35% left. 6.15pm now. Barring the two hours when I used 4g while running I’ve used WiFi.

Comfortably gets me through the day.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.