Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iphonefreak450

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 14, 2014
Hi,

I was thinking of really getting the iPhone XR since everyone was talking about how really good the battery life is compared to all other models. Well, I had to get the XS because it is smaller than the XR. I felt that the XR would be a bit bigger.

But, no big deal, I really like the XS.

Just out of curiosity, what is behind the reason that the XR has better battery life than the XS?
Would it be the size of the battery?

Also, my second question, is it just the XS has poor battery life or all other models as well?

aakshey

macrumors 68030
Jun 13, 2016
Hi,

I was thinking of really getting the iPhone XR since everyone was talking about how really good the battery life is compared to all other models. Well, I had to get the XS because it is smaller than the XR. I felt that the XR would be a bit bigger.

Just out of curiosity, what is behind the reason that the XR has better battery life than the XS?

Also, my second question, is it just the XS has poor battery life or all other models as well?

XS has worse battery life than the XR because of its display/resolution.

All iPhones other than the 11 series and XR actually have poor battery life.

Reactions: Fred Zed

imp3rator

macrumors 6502a
Dec 25, 2019

Size of battery yes but mostly by OLED
If you don't use dark mode, everything in iOS has white background.

iphonefreak450

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 14, 2014
The XS has an OLED display and that also has to do with poor battery life?

Anyways, I like the size of the Xs, so no big deal.

I’ll use dark mode then.

imp3rator

macrumors 6502a
Dec 25, 2019
Yes.
They reduced power consuption for OLED by 15% and increase battery in 11 Pro. But if you will look to white background all the time - XR or 11 would have still better battery life than other iPhones.

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
Hi,

XR has a larger battery and lower screen resolution, that’s the equivalent of a car having a bigger “gas” tank as well as less body weight to drive around, it all adds up to longer mileage.

Reactions: Lucas284

tonybarnaby

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2017
All iPhones other than the 11 series and XR actually have poor battery life.
This is funny, because when the 7+ came out people were calling it a 2-day phone and talking about how there was no use for a smart battery case on a phone that lasted so long. Now days a plus phone is barely average.

aakshey

macrumors 68030
Jun 13, 2016
This is funny, because when the 7+ came out people were calling it a 2-day phone and talking about how there was no use for a smart battery case on a phone that lasted so long. Now days a plus phone is barely average.

7+ on iOS 10 has the same battery life as XS Max on iOS 12. Or similar.

On iOS 13 7+ won‘t last half as long as it would on iOS 10.

That‘s why.

Fred Zed

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2019
Florida Unfortunately
My XS Max is approx 3-4 hours of screen on time per 40% of battery. My previous android device would yield me 6 hours plus of screen on time for 40% battery usage.

iphonefreak450

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 14, 2014
With basic use, I usually get 1.5 - 2 days of battery life. But that's because I removed most of the preinstalled Apple apps which I do not plan to use at all.

Does Dark Mode really help with battery life?
And is it difficult to read the display in Dark Mode in sunlight?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.