Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

prazakj

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 18, 2020
I came back to this forum with an important question before deciding about new phone.

Last year I got 12 mini and it’s almost fine with me. Sometimes the battery life isn’t ok for me but I managed since I moved to another country and mostly working in an office and living in the same building complex, where the offices are. And with that contract for a 3 years, it also includes very good carrier plan for calling even to my home in another country. But I like my current number, so I would like to use those numbers both. But using mini with 2 (SIM + eSIM) seems to me that I have to be recharging at lunch time. I originaly wanted to go for a 13 mini but because I’m scared that those improvements with battery life will go away with those two cellular connections, I’m thinking about going bigger to 13.

1) How’s the battery life on 13 mini if you use both SIM options for your carrier plans? Anyone has this experience?
2) How’s the battery life on bigger 13 if you use both SIM options for your carrier plans?

Thanks everybody for helping. ♥️

one more

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
FWIW, I have been using two SIM setup on my 12 mini since last December with 5G turned off and get about 4.5 hrs SOT on it with the current battery health in Settings at 89%. This is enough for me as I also have an iPad and can top the mini up quite quickly when needed. I guess going with 13 mini you could expect about 1 hr extra of SOT. There are other factors at play, too, like your cellular signal strength, etc. A regular 13 will give you a much better battery life than mini 13 and the battery life of a regular 12 should be very similar to 13 mini. ?

Reactions: prazakj
FWIW, I have been using two SIM setup on my 12 mini since last December with 5G turned off and get about 4.5 hrs SOT on it with the current battery health in Settings at 89%. This is enough for me as I also have an iPad and can top the mini up quite quickly when needed. I guess going with 13 mini you could expect about 1 hr extra of SOT. There are other factors at play, too, like your cellular signal strength, etc. A regular 13 will give you a much better battery life than mini 13 and the battery life of a regular 12 should be very similar to 13 mini. ?
Just an FYI. Should your battery health drop to 80% it is considered replaceable under warranty. My spouse's iPhone 7 plus running two SIMS is now 5 years old. Her battery health is currently at 86%.

prazakj

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 18, 2020
Well I don’t get 4,5 hrs SOT on 12 mini even with one SIM and battery health is 88% after one year. Mostly I hit maximum od 3 hours daily. ? I can top up mini anytime and working mostly on iPad and Mac but at the same time I want iPhone which can last me a full day, which mini mostly isn’t. Sadly.

prazakj

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 18, 2020
Just an FYI. Should your battery health drop to 80% it is considered replaceable under warranty. My spouse's iPhone 7 plus running two SIMS is now 5 years old. Her battery health is currently at 86%.
I did this exactly last year with my, then in use, iPhone XS at Apple Store. You can replace your battery only if you have AC+. And mini is heading that way really quickly.

one more

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2015
Earth

Yes, I will keep on monitoring it. I always charge it overnight with top-ups during the day while driving, when the battery gets used quite a bit by a wired CarPlay. ?

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
I’m looking for the same answer. Just wanted to post in the forum. I’ve settled for the Pro Max this time but right now using it with only the eSim. My physical sim connection is still in my previous daily driver an iPhone 11 Pro.

Is anyone else in the U.K. using both SIM cards on their Pro Max and with EE as eSim and O2 as the physical SIM card?!

prazakj

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 18, 2020
I’m looking for the same answer. Just wanted to post in the forum. I’ve settled for the Pro Max this time but right now using it with only the eSim. My physical sim connection is still in my previous daily driver an iPhone 11 Pro.

Is anyone else in the U.K. using both SIM cards on their Pro Max and with EE as eSim and O2 as the physical SIM card?!
Back at those days when 11 Pro was a killer. It still is a keeper on the battery side. ??

prazakj

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 18, 2020
Any other members have this knowledge? My fears is that with using SIM and eSIM at the same time on 13 mini, battery will decrease at the same speed as did with only SIM on 12 mini (my experience from last year). Would it make a more sense of going for bigger despite I don’t like the size? Or maybe going with 13 mini and get Apple Care+? What do you think?

prazakj

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 18, 2020
My recommendation is for you to go bigger. You don't have to go Max bigger, just another level up if you can.
Thank you. I like the idea, just miss the smaller version more than I thought I would.

HalfFullmoon

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2021
Thank you. I like the idea, just miss the smaller version more than I thought I would.
All batteries will degrade, but degradation will be more pronounced and noticeable on a smaller battery. The problem is, most people assume they will maintain the same SOT as they did in the first weeks of ownership.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

prazakj

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 18, 2020
All batteries will degrade, but degradation will be more pronounced and noticeable on a smaller battery. The problem is, most people assume they will maintain the same SOT as they did in the first weeks of ownership.
I don’t think I will maintain the same level. But let’s be honest, 12 mini was very bad with battery longeivity. Even older devices hasn’t degraded that quickly.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

chanerz

macrumors 68000
Jul 7, 2010
Well I have the Pro Max with ATT and Tmobile. Battery life is great. I don't see any difference.

prazakj

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 18, 2020
Yeah agree with this. I’ve had the normal pro and now on the pro max. The difference in battery usage is insane.
That’s great we all have a choice. After two spells with regular 13, I’m still torn but at the same time inclining to 13 mini as the only iPhone I ENJOY to use. 13 is great, mostly for battery reasons, but I just don’t have THAT feeling while using it.

Reactions: akash.nu
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.