Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

asmartkid82

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2015
As far as I can tell, by connecting my iOS 10 GM device to Xcode, debug traces are still there as if it were a beta... I am confident this has a lot to do with the battery drain issue I'm also suffering :(

Suspended
Apr 4, 2009
As far as I can tell, by connecting my iOS 10 GM device to Xcode, debug traces are still there as if it were a beta... I am confident this has a lot to do with the battery drain issue I'm also suffering :(

I have to agree! Gotta love when I'm developing an app and write a simple print() statement in swift and I can't even read the output because all of the console garbage being spewed out instead of just my output for my print statement...

Reactions: Sampoteste

Prabas

macrumors 65816
Sep 14, 2010
Europe
Yesterday I connected my iPhone to Xcode, photos-something process was constantly taking 20% of CPU. Also, right now the phone is quite warm where CPU is and I'm only listening to downloaded music and writing here.

asmartkid82

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2015
Yesterday I connected my iPhone to Xcode, photos-something process was constantly taking 20% of CPU. Also, right now the phone is quite warm where CPU is and I'm only listening to downloaded music and writing here.
I would say that's normal, iOS analyze the pictures library when the device is charging, at least for the first several hours.
I suppose the release version next week won't have the debug logs issue...

Prabas

macrumors 65816
Sep 14, 2010
Europe
I would say that's normal, iOS analyze the pictures library when the device is charging, at least for the first several hours.
I suppose the release version next week won't have the debug logs issue...
This IS release version. If no serious issues occur, next week you'll download the same iOS as I am on right now.

asmartkid82

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2015
This IS release version. If no serious issues occur, next week you'll download the same iOS as I am on right now.

Yeah, that's what I have always believed, but as a developer I can say leaving debug logs switched on, on a release/production app or system is a very serious issue...

Reactions: 0309385

Blorzoga

macrumors 68030
May 21, 2010
I know it has only been 24 hours but I am finding ios 10 on my 6s to have noticeably worse battery life. Anyone else noticing this?
Battery life is horrendous. Left my phone on the charger overnight and it never reached 100%. There definitely something wrong. Will try wiping the phone, since I don't have enough space to restore from backup, then do a clean install and restore my back up.

Reactions: tonyr6

Suspended
Apr 4, 2009
It could be either the photo analyzing that people are mistaking the bad battery problem for (If you have a lot of photos) or most likely it's the debugging trace logs left in.

Blorzoga

macrumors 68030
May 21, 2010
Battery life is horrendous. Left my phone on the charger overnight and it never reached 100%. There definitely something wrong. Will try wiping the phone, since I don't have enough space to restore from backup, then do a clean install and restore my back up.
My battery percentage actually DECREASES while charging. I plugged it in at 94 to try to get it to 100 so I could leave it off the charger overnight and see how much it drained. When I checked it after about 15 minutes it was at 89
[doublepost=1473421035][/doublepost]
It could be either the photo analyzing that people are mistaking the bad battery problem for (If you have a lot of photos) or most likely it's the debugging trace logs left in.
I've checked my photos "people" section and it reads 0 photos scanned, lock and plug into power to complete scan. Doesn't seem to work.

Jmausmuc

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2014
I have it installed on an older iPhone 6 and it actually seems to have much better battery life. Makes me wonder wether the update caused the battery life to increase or if there was something wrong with my previous install (did a clean install of 10 and than restored from backup)...

asmartkid82

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2015
Have you deleted developer/beta profile?

Yes, clean restore...
I can see thousands of log traces each second using Xcode, definitely this cannot be a release binary...
[doublepost=1473423590][/doublepost]
I have it installed on an older iPhone 6 and it actually seems to have much better battery life. Makes me wonder wether the update caused the battery life to increase or if there was something wrong with my previous install (did a clean install of 10 and than restored from backup)...

GM or public GM version?

Reactions: Sheldonsmith

Jmausmuc

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2014
Yes, clean restore...
I can see thousands of log traces each second using Xcode, definitely this cannot be a release binary...
[doublepost=1473423590][/doublepost]

GM or public GM version?

Deveoper 10.0.1 GM Version (14A403). As far as I know they are both the same thought...

I actually very impressed with my battery life at the moment, it literally feels like it has increased by 30 percent...

Reactions: jef82 and Agit21

nerdriot

macrumors regular
May 16, 2015

Good catch! I didn't think to try that myself. I assumed logs were still being created and stored because I'm gradually losing space as well.

shenfrey

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2010
I am finding battery life to be horrendous on my 6S. 20% drain in one hour, listening to music mainly.

wepiii

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2012
I had great battery life before GM release. Now my phone is getting hot like beta 2 and battery life is terrible

Reactions: nerdriot

lineto

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2013
Been on the GM since Weds so all the background stuff/indexing has definitely subsided. This is my current read out on my 6s. Decided to do a 100 to 0 and see what the results were today. I was on my phone pretty consistently today as you can see from the standby time. Seems normal as far as I'm concerned - also as someone above stated, there's a **** load of logging going on so when that's removed, the battery will probably get even better.

Attachments

• IMG_0159.PNG
    IMG_0159.PNG
    155.3 KB · Views: 923
Reactions: iL15hts

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Been on the GM since Weds so all the background stuff/indexing has definitely subsided. This is my current read out on my 6s. Decided to do a 100 to 0 and see what the results were today. I was on my phone pretty consistently today as you can see from the standby time. Seems normal as far as I'm concerned - also as someone above stated, there's a **** load of logging going on so when that's removed, the battery will probably get even better.
I'm not quite following what would be removed given that this is the GM build, meaning the same one that would be released to the public.

lineto

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2013
I'm not quite following what would be removed given that this is the GM build, meaning the same one that would be released to the public.
I don't have Xcode to check myself, but if the poster above is correct about debug processes being left in then it definitely has to be a mistake as those shouldn't be present in GM's/public facing products. We may see a day 1 tiny point update removing them - it's happened before, I believe in iOS 8 or 9. In any case, I believe my battery usage to be pretty normal for now. Was a tad better on 9 but not drastically.

Kloan1

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2016
My 5s barely lasts a day now, whereas before it would last well over a day. I don't have any photos on the phone, so it's not indexing or whatever.

I've just installed it on my 6, which normally gives me excellent battery life, so I'll see how it's affected by this update.

Ries

macrumors 68020
Apr 21, 2007
Usually I can get 2 days on a charge on my iPhone 6, now im at 30% at the end of the day.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.