Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

frankenhooker

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 10, 2018
I vaguely remember having this problem before, probably three or four years back on the iPhone 6s, well it's raised it's ugly head again on the iPhone SE 2020.

Basically I put my phone on charge, the battery icon shows it's charging but the percentage doesn't change. If I reboot the phone the battery level shows an increased charge, so it is charging. I only noticed it this morning, it never happened at all before the update to 13.6.

Is anyone else experiencing similar, or perhaps no of a way to rectify the problem ?

HarleyD

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2020
Yes, I am having the same problem with an iPhone 8, but my problem began a week ago while using iOS 13.5.1 and it happens the entire day (percentage indicator does not change while using the phone unless I restart the phone). After running diagnostics remotely, Apple Support said my battery is fine (184 charge cycles and battery health is still at 100%). Apple suggested that I do a restore and set up as new but that did not work for me. You could try doing the restore and setting your phone up as new. It might work for you. Since the percentage indicator issue happened, I have been restarting the phone periodically during the day to get the percentage indicator moving again (although the battery percentage is still about 5% off from where it should be based on my usual usage) and I have been turning the phone off while charging (not exactly convenient but when I turn the phone back on after charging, the percentage is where I expect it to be). You could also try to restart the phone while charging-that might get the percentage indicator moving again. I hope this information helps.

Ipadfever

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2012
Yes, I am having the same problem with an iPhone 8, but my problem began a week ago while using iOS 13.5.1 and it happens the entire day (percentage indicator does not change while using the phone unless I restart the phone). After running diagnostics remotely, Apple Support said my battery is fine (184 charge cycles and battery health is still at 100%). Apple suggested that I do a restore and set up as new but that did not work for me. You could try doing the restore and setting your phone up as new. It might work for you. Since the percentage indicator issue happened, I have been restarting the phone periodically during the day to get the percentage indicator moving again (although the battery percentage is still about 5% off from where it should be based on my usual usage) and I have been turning the phone off while charging (not exactly convenient but when I turn the phone back on after charging, the percentage is where I expect it to be). You could also try to restart the phone while charging-that might get the percentage indicator moving again. I hope this information helps.
Listening to Apple advice is as good as asking a magic 8 ball for answers. Their go to for just about everything is restore, the tech support is a complete joke!

Reactions: katbel

aakshey

macrumors 68030
Jun 13, 2016

Apple is known to perjure itself.
[automerge]1595049076[/automerge]
Listening to Apple advice is as good as asking a magic 8 ball for answers. Their go to for just about everything is restore, the tech support is a complete joke!

Ya. If I was Tim, the tech support would die of hunger.

Reactions: katbel

frankenhooker

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 10, 2018
Predictably, after talking to Apple via live chat I was advised to restore, which as has been alluded to is seemingly their default answer. Anyhoo, I begrudgingly restored and the issue has gone. Thanks people.

verito81

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2018
Predictably, after talking to Apple via live chat I was advised to restore, which as has been alluded to is seemingly their default answer. Anyhoo, I begrudgingly restored and the issue has gone. Thanks people.

how do you do that? live chat with apple

frankenhooker

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 10, 2018
Obviously, this could be dependent on where you are, but I went to Apple UK, clicked support, scrolled down to 'get support' then chose iPhone, then selected the option to start 'chat'. It took approx five minutes to be connected to someone and away we went, ten minutes later I was advised to do exactly what I thought they might suggest.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I've had this happen with various devices over the years including my iPhone 5S. It would move but it was SLOW like 1% per hour.

After talking to Apple who recommended replacing a cable that was fairly new and OEM charger I just bought one of these...

Sure enough I plugged it in at the source and cord into that and had 5volt with .080 amp which means it was getting .4 watt. Annoying that most be right above its cut off threshold. Replaced the cable and cleaned the lightning port out with 99% isopropyl and it jumped up to 7.5 watts.

Point is, try a new cable, wall wort and make sure the connector is clean. The thing about batteries is they will take a charge and it will shut itself off when its done. The chip in the battery is what tells the Apples hardware and software to give you a charging indicator. So if nothing else with a USB tester you will be able to say with certainty that its the phone (that is what my plan was until I found out they were right).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.