Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Get new battery?

• Total voters

GetToDaChopa

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 20, 2016
Sorry if this has been asked before (actually no, I'm not sorry) but all this talk about using an old g3 iBook has made me want to get mine out and going. So i want battery life again, instead of plugging it in all the time. Have you guys replaced yours? if so was it worth it and has the battery lasted long? how much time do you get out of a single charge?

I saw one from the UK for around $80, was thinking of getting it. But if its only going to last 1hour i dont want it.

AmazingHenry

macrumors 65816
Jul 6, 2015
Central Michigan
I replaced mine, and I get about 2 or 3 hours, depending on the operating system. However I got a pretty cheap one, for $80 you'd probably get a nicer one. Worth the purchase IMO!

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
I bought a no-name Ebay one for $20 or so. The first that the sent me would only charge to 40%. They sent a replacement and it was fine for about a month then started the same 40% thing.

Now, probably a year later, it won't charge at all.

In all honesty, my experience with the cheap no-name batteries has been pretty much universally miserable. The most recent one I bought was for a first generation MacBook Air, which lasted all of a month before it quit charging(the computer would also randomly turn off when unplugged).

Newertech is the only aftermarket battery brand that I've found to be worth bothering with, but you will pay dearly for them. The MBA battery that I bought was $80. Unfortunately, the last time I checked I don't think that they still made Clamshell batteries. They still make some PPC batteries, but I assume that lack of demand has slowed them down a lot.

I've also generally had good luck with NOS Apple batteries, but they may take some patience to find. I bought a bunch of Lombard/Pismo batteries a few months ago, but paid dearly for them(around $50 each).

AmazingHenry

macrumors 65816
Jul 6, 2015
Central Michigan
I think I got mine for about $20, also. Yet it works. I think, @GetToDaChopa, that $80 is already pretty expensive for an iBook Clamshell battery. You should get a pretty good one. If possible, try to learn more about the seller.

And then I'd say to buy it.

GetToDaChopa

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 20, 2016
unfortunately being in Australia, my choices for batteries are limited for this laptop. i only found one that can easily be posted to me and thats from uk for $84 AU. so i guess its a gamble

AmazingHenry

macrumors 65816
Jul 6, 2015
Central Michigan
unfortunately being in Australia, my choices for batteries are limited for this laptop. i only found one that can easily be posted to me and thats from uk for $84 AU. so i guess its a gamble
I'd try it. Should give you at least 2 or 3 hours.

I'll also add, everybody who participated in the poll voted for "Yes". :p

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
I bought a no name Clamshell battery from Amazon in the UK. It cost £21 and on first charge gave about 6 hours as expected. Soon my experience echoed bunnspecial's. I could find better uses for $84 quite frankly but if you love to gamble then go for it.

Reactions: AmazingHenry

crewkid89

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2011
United States
I got lucky with a no name eBay battery. It's been about 4 months and I get around 2-3 hours with it. It was definitely worth it for me. I prefer to use laptops from the couch.

Reactions: AmazingHenry
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.