Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mikiotty

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 15, 2014
Rome, Italy
Hi everyone!
I have to replace the battery for the fifth time in my iPhone 6s, and I don't want anymore of that original Apple batteries. They are just the worst you can get, they cost 55€ here in Italy and last less than a year.
Do you have any experience with ReplaceBase? I'd like to get one of their higher capacity batteries, or even a normal battery if more reliable.
Thank you!

mikiotty

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 15, 2014
Rome, Italy
Apple OEM batteries are the best you can get. Instead of buying another one, why not buy an XR or something?
I disagree with you. The replacement ones, just like the ones on the MacBooks (even the PowerBook ones were crap) are the worst. Everyone I know with third party batteries have longer lasting batteries (2-3 years).
I don't have the money for a new phone right now

tonybarnaby

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2017
I disagree with you. The replacement ones, just like the ones on the MacBooks (even the PowerBook ones were crap) are the worst. Everyone I know with third party batteries have longer lasting batteries (2-3 years).
I don't have the money for a new phone right now
Sounds like something else besides the battery is going on. This will be your 6th battery (1 original and 5 replacement)

Reactions: macintoshmac

mikiotty

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 15, 2014
Rome, Italy
Sounds like something else besides the battery is going on. This will be your 6th battery (1 original and 5 replacement)
All original Apple batteries, changed in Apple Store (the first 3 were phone replacements because of many issues alongside the battery).
I always and only charge it with the included charger and original Lightning cable. Everyone I know that has an iPhone, especially the 6/6s, changed their batteries multiple times after the first 2 years.
Yes, something else is going on, and it's Apple (and its suppliers) inability to produce decent batteries.

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
How may cycles is your battery showing? The 6S was never known for stellar battery life. I had the battery in my backup 6S replaced by Apple exactly a year ago and it’s still showing 98% capacity.. 3rd party batteries are hit or miss as far as quality is concerned.

alpi123

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2014
Apple OEM is the best, there's no other way.

I personally have iFixit battery on my 6s but it's as bad as Apple's, if not worse. I think it's an issue coming from the phone.

And that's a second iFixit battery. So, maybe the better option is to upgrade your phone.

Lekro

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2019
I can vouch for ReplaceBase. I ordered only back glasses for iPhones and stuff for MacBooks and they were all high quality. I’d trust them for supplying good batteries too.
It’s immensely difficult to find a good battery supplier for iPhones if you are not going the Apple route.

mikiotty

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 15, 2014
Rome, Italy
How may cycles is your battery showing? The 6S was never known for stellar battery life. I had the battery in my backup 6S replaced by Apple exactly a year ago and it’s still showing 98% capacity.. 3rd party batteries are hit or miss as far as quality is concerned.
Here is what coconutBattery reports:
B70F6B45-BFC7-4ABB-837C-86DE21DD4D39.jpeg

iOS reports 85%, but it’s clearly less than that.
Battery life with a new battery is actually pretty good, but it doesn’t last more than 6 months before the battery starts to deteriorate again.
Apple OEM is the best, there's no other way.

I personally have iFixit battery on my 6s but it's as bad as Apple's, if not worse. I think it's an issue coming from the phone.

And that's a second iFixit battery. So, maybe the better option is to upgrade your phone.
I’d upgrade my phone right now if I had the money. Unfortunately, that’s not the case at this moment.
Even if third party batteries were the same as Apple’s OEM ones, I’d still prefer to buy them at 25€ and replace them myself rather than spending 55€ at the Apple Store. I replaced them at Apple when they were charging 29€, and I’d happily do that again if the price stayed the same.

I can vouch for ReplaceBase. I ordered only back glasses for iPhones and stuff for MacBooks and they were all high quality. I’d trust them for supplying good batteries too.
It’s immensely difficult to find a good battery supplier for iPhones if you are not going the Apple route.

Thanks man, I think I will try their high capacity one. I hope to replace my phone in the first half of 2020 anyway.

maerz001

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2010
I only had good experience with extremecells from a german site. Not sure if u find them in Italy.

an iphone 7 battery works also

Reactions: mikiotty

alpi123

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2014
Just be careful with high capacity batteries because most of the time they're just gimmick. Each iPhone is designed to use exactly a certain amount of mAh and using more than it's designed usually won't do anything. There were tests with using iPhone 7 battery on 6s and the results were that it won't use the higher capacity on the 7.

Maybe a better investment would be the Smart Battery Case.

mikiotty

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 15, 2014
Rome, Italy
Just be careful with high capacity batteries because most of the time they're just gimmick. Each iPhone is designed to use exactly a certain amount of mAh and using more than it's designed usually won't do anything. There were tests with using iPhone 7 battery on 6s and the results were that it won't use the higher capacity on the 7.

Maybe a better investment would be the Smart Battery Case.
Not going to spend 100€ on a 5 year old phone. I'll get a new battery and hope it's good.

alpi123

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2014
Not going to spend 100€ on a 5 year old phone. I'll get a new battery and hope it's good.
If you continue spending more on batteries every time they fail, you'll end up wasting more money. Just saying. Be reasonable and decide what is best for you.

mikiotty

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 15, 2014
Rome, Italy
If you continue spending more on batteries every time they fail, you'll end up wasting more money. Just saying. Be reasonable and decide what is best for you.
This is the last one, I'll replace the phone with a newer one in May, so it doesn't make sense to waste 100€ now.

Buadhai

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2018
Korat, Thailand
My 6s is on its fourth battery. The first replacement was under Apple's battery replacement program. The second and third were third party batteries. They all lasted between 12 and 18 months. Even when Apple was throttling the 6s, battery life was pretty awful. My wife got tired of seeing me suffer and surprised me with an Xr. She gave the 6s to her Dad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.