Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dented

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 16, 2009
I have a Series 4 which I’ve owned for 3.5 years now. It still does everything I need but, predictably, the battery life is starting to become a problem near the end of the day, with battery health currently at 81%.

Apple will replace the battery for £80 (I don’t fancy using a third party repair since I don’t like the idea of a potentially shonky battery strapped to my wrist). I’m partly attracted to this idea because I have a certain attachment to this watch; it got me through lockdown, it has scratches that tell a story, etc etc. My first question is - if I post it in, will Apple definitely repair and return *this* watch, or are they more likely to just send out another S4 that’s already been refurbed?

The other option is just to upgrade to an SE2, which will do 95% of what my S4 does, minus the ECG - is the longer support worth three times the price?

TorontoSS

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2009
Basically - what you will get back is a new/refurb watch for £80. So you won't get the exact same back with the scratches.

So the question for you is, would you like a new S4 back for £80? it won't have the same sentimental value you were mentioning because it will be new. However, its new, so all the internal components will be new too!

I used to have the S4 but have an S7 now and in between I upgraded to the S6. I'm very happy with s7 and won't be upgrading for a while. I didn't notice a massive difference between the s4 and 6. But I did, weirdly with the s7. Would it be worth while upgrading to the SE2? i don't think so to be frank.

You have ECG on your watch and the SE2 doesnt. and correct me if i'm wrong but i don't think the SE2 has always on display right? So the only feature you'd be "upgrading to" is...i honestly don't know what. I had written blood oxygen but deleted because it's not a feature.

So I'd do this if I were you:
- either upgrade to the 7 or 8.
- spend 80£ to keep your s4.

that's my view and just my thoughts but you're welcome to disagree!

fatTribble

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2018
Ohio
I’m still using a Series 4 also. My battery health is at 77% but it still gets me through the day. If I were in your position I’d be tempted to limp along with your watch until the next one releases around September. I’m not sure if a battery replacement will give you your current Watch back or a refurbished one.

Reactions: Dented and klemsaba

Dented

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 16, 2009
Basically - what you will get back is a new/refurb watch for £80. So you won't get the exact same back with the scratches.

So the question for you is, would you like a new S4 back for £80? it won't have the same sentimental value you were mentioning because it will be new. However, its new, so all the internal components will be new too!

I used to have the S4 but have an S7 now and in between I upgraded to the S6. I'm very happy with s7 and won't be upgrading for a while. I didn't notice a massive difference between the s4 and 6. But I did, weirdly with the s7. Would it be worth while upgrading to the SE2? i don't think so to be frank.

You have ECG on your watch and the SE2 doesnt. and correct me if i'm wrong but i don't think the SE2 has always on display right? So the only feature you'd be "upgrading to" is...i honestly don't know what. I had written blood oxygen but deleted because it's not a feature.

So I'd do this if I were you:
- either upgrade to the 7 or 8.
- spend 80£ to keep your s4.

that's my view and just my thoughts but you're welcome to disagree!
Thanks - yep I was afraid of that with the refurb rather than my old watch.

You say that the refurb S4 will be “new” but.. not sure about that. I don’t suppose they’ve made any new S4’s in a long time. More likely it’d just be someone else's 3-4 year old S4 with a new battery - checked over and working sure, but not new and not my watch..

I guess upgrade is the wrong word in regard to the SE 2, “renewal” is more like it. I’d get all the same features with the singular exception of the ECG which I rarely/never use, but the advantage would be a truly new watch with a newer/faster chip and some guarantee of new feature support via watch OS updates over the next few years, which I suspect the S4 won’t be getting.

Crucially it would be significantly cheaper than a 7 or 8 (or 9), none of which seem to offer anything I really need.

bodonnell202

macrumors 68030
Jan 5, 2016
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Really you’re looking at either a refurbished Series 4, or a new SE2. With the SE2 you are losing ECG, but gaining a newer chip with probably a few extra years of support. Is the S8 chip really a huge upgrade over the S4 chip? It sounds like it should be with 4 generations difference, but in reality it’s just Apple marketing with the S8 chip only being 1 generation newer than the S4 chip (with the S4/S5 being the same based on A12 efficiency cores and the S6/S7/S8 all being the same based on A13 efficiency cores).

Reactions: Dented

Monkswhiskers

macrumors 6502a
Feb 6, 2018
I’ve never had a problem with an Apple refurb , other ‘refurbs’ yes, never Apple ones they always are immaculate.

That said, there are probably a few little tweaks on the SE2 that they don’t tell you about, plus some extra running/gps advantages. And you are better future proofed of course, there might be no more S4 software upgrades from this year.

Last edited:

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Thanks - yep I was afraid of that with the refurb rather than my old watch.

You say that the refurb S4 will be “new” but.. not sure about that. I don’t suppose they’ve made any new S4’s in a long time. More likely it’d just be someone else's 3-4 year old S4 with a new battery - checked over and working sure, but not new and not my watch..

I guess upgrade is the wrong word in regard to the SE 2, “renewal” is more like it. I’d get all the same features with the singular exception of the ECG which I rarely/never use, but the advantage would be a truly new watch with a newer/faster chip and some guarantee of new feature support via watch OS updates over the next few years, which I suspect the S4 won’t be getting.

Crucially it would be significantly cheaper than a 7 or 8 (or 9), none of which seem to offer anything I really need.
That's not how Apple refurbs work. Apple refurbs are remanufactured. You get a new case, new battery and new screen. Only the internal components are "used."

So you will get a brand new battery in a new watch case with a new screen. You will not be getting a 3-4 year old watch used by someone else. Apple "refurbs" are essentially new. Cannot speak the same for other refurbs not coming directly from Apple.

Monkswhiskers

macrumors 6502a
Feb 6, 2018
That's not how Apple refurbs work. Apple refurbs are remanufactured. You get a new case, new battery and new screen. Only the internal components are "used."

So you will get a brand new battery in a new watch case with a new screen. You will not be getting a 3-4 year old watch used by someone else. Apple "refurbs" are essentially new. Cannot speak the same for other refurbs not coming directly from Apple.
Just got an S5 refurb replacement under AC+, it is flawless, as new 100% battery health.

Reactions: Piscestg

TorontoSS

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2009

I would second this. I have been buying apple refurbs for years. My first was a 2009 MacBook which was essentially brand new and my latest was a 13 pro and it’s basically brand new in the same way and flawles.

OCS12

macrumors member
Oct 3, 2012
Sheboygan, WI USA
I have a Series 4 which I’ve owned for 3.5 years now. It still does everything I need but, predictably, the battery life is starting to become a problem near the end of the day, with battery health currently at 81%.

Apple will replace the battery for £80 (I don’t fancy using a third party repair since I don’t like the idea of a potentially shonky battery strapped to my wrist). I’m partly attracted to this idea because I have a certain attachment to this watch; it got me through lockdown, it has scratches that tell a story, etc etc. My first question is - if I post it in, will Apple definitely repair and return *this* watch, or are they more likely to just send out another S4 that’s already been refurbed?

The other option is just to upgrade to an SE2, which will do 95% of what my S4 does, minus the ECG - is the longer support worth three times the price?
The obvious answer to your dilemma is just to roll the dice with a third party battery replacement so you can keep the sentimental watch. For what it’s worth, you’re probably not at any more risk. I’ve personally had an original Apple battery on an S3 swell up enough to pop the face off, so they aren’t perfect either.

Piscestg

Cancelled
Dec 11, 2022
Just got an S5 refurb replacement under AC+, it is flawless, as new 100% battery health.
True. I got an S7 refurb in December because I love the blue color that they didn't bring back for the 8. Like you said, it's essentially brand new. If it wasn't for the little "Apple Certified Refurbished" sticker on the box, you would think it was brand new.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore

I had my series 5 replaced somewhere in April last year because the battery health had dropped to 76% and wasn't getting through a day. It also had other issues like a non-functional Digital Crown, but the weak battery was what allowed me to get a replacement unit at the price of a battery swap (which was way cheaper). It was also because of this that I opted not to get the Apple Watch Ultra last year, and will likely continue using my series 5 till next year at least (since it's still going strong and meets my needs).

I think Apple will replace your series 4 watch with a refurbished unit. My replacement unit came without any visible flaws (my old series 5 had a couple of dings on the side), which was good enough for me. It really felt as good as new.

I would say opt for the battery replacement.

Pro_the_legend

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2021
I’ve been in the same situation as you (battery health 87%), and I’m somewhat attached to my S4 since it was on my grandfather’s wrist when he passed away. I decided against getting the watch replaced and got a stainless steel series 8, and I’m quite happy with it. Only use the series 4 when working out.

I say go for it. Get a S8 and keep the S4 as well.

Dented

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 16, 2009
Thanks for the thoughts everyone. I do appreciate Apple refurbs are better than most and *effectively* new, but still, the S4 is an old watch now (relatively) and I’m slightly less keen on paying for a new one. There would be some sentimental value in keeping my own one going for longer, but obviously not if going down the battery replacement route means mine just goes in Apple’s bin!

I’m sure a third party replacement would *probably* be ok, but still, I’d always be wondering!

Leaning towards keeping this one going on its existing battery for as long as I can put up with it, and then seeing what’s available SE wise. Thanks again.

Monkswhiskers

macrumors 6502a
Feb 6, 2018
Thanks for the thoughts everyone. I do appreciate Apple refurbs are better than most and *effectively* new, but still, the S4 is an old watch now (relatively) and I’m slightly less keen on paying for a new one. There would be some sentimental value in keeping my own one going for longer, but obviously not if going down the battery replacement route means mine just goes in Apple’s bin!

I’m sure a third party replacement would *probably* be ok, but still, I’d always be wondering!

Leaning towards keeping this one going on its existing battery for as long as I can put up with it, and then seeing what’s available SE wise. Thanks again.
Keep it going for another 7 months and see what Apple's new offerings are, after that you should keep it and stick it on the mantlepiece. If you do any swimming I wouldn't trust a 3rd party just because of the waterproofing.

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
This seems to be the consensus, but I'd also just get a newer watch. Apple Watches are updated frequently enough, just in terms of CPU (not to mention display & sensor improvements) that I'm not going to the cost Apple charges into an old model to replace a battery, when I could just put that cost toward an upgrade.

I can see an argument for a 3rd party battery, if it's cheap - but only if I wanted to use it as a 2nd watch for sleep tracking or due to the color of it. I also would not "Count on" any particular longevity on a 3rd party battery.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.