Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

technopimp

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2009
For those who (surprisingly/unsurprisingly) are defending Apple here, let me just add my experience...

I have a 6+. About August of last year, it started getting unusably slow. I could count up to 30 sometimes just for Safari to open (I mean open a blank page). Reinstalling fresh/etc. didn't help. I ended up getting an 8+ not because Apple had duped me (even though I have known for years this was a real thing), but kept the 6+ to either sell or give to someone.

When they admitted (read: were caught) in this mess, and I found out about the $29 battery replacement, I figured I'd do it and then have what would likely be a very good-performing phone again either for my wife or someone else. So, like the OP, I booked a Genius appointment online. Specifically said in the notes about battery replacement, and they were aware that's what the appointment was for.

I took off work 1/2 an hour early to take the only/most convenient appointment they had. When I got there, of course I had to endure the multiple-employee hand-off as I was asked to "take a seat" until the next person came over to tell me that "someone else would be with me shortly" who then told me that "the technician is getting ready to see you". The FOURTH person who came to see me actually "checked me in", and then proceeded to explain very matter-of-factly that they didn't actually have any batteries in stock, but not to worry! The technician would "confirm" my phone was eligible and then order the battery, at which time I'd have the honor of coming back in to drop the phone off and have it replaced, so I could come back a third time to pick it up.

I asked that person, as the OP, why they simply couldn't have told me either by email or phone that they didn't have batteries and reschedule the appointment. He replied "Oh, we're not allowed to tell people that over the phone. We have to have them come in and tell them that in person". Ridiculous. So I've wasted a trip? The technician said it wasn't wasted because she had to perform diagnostics to confirm the battery health (which, interestingly enough, read "OK", but amazingly they still authorized the repair. Funny, no?)

If the real reason was to perform the diagnostics, they could also have been done remotely as all that happened was to connect the phone to a web service and have it upload the info. Easily done remotely.

So, no, the OP is not in the wrong here. Apple is mad they got caught and are purposely making this difficult and painful for us.

Smartass

macrumors 65816
Dec 18, 2012
because she had to perform diagnostics to confirm the battery health (which, interestingly enough, read "OK", but amazingly they still authorized the repair. Funny, no?)

Of course it said OK, like it said OK with countless others that brought their iphone with that piece of crap thing that apple dares to call battery. If this throttling issues didnt come out, that diagnostic deceitful program would today still be saying how batteries in people's iphone 6/6s are still OK, in conjunction with "Ze Genius" that would be recommending just buying a new iphone.

Reactions: Kmart9419

kingston73

macrumors 65816
Dec 23, 2015
Well, ok, let me put things into perspective. Every other business I've ever called, cell phone company, tv company, etc either answers in a reasonable time or has a call back system that gives you an option for a call back. Maybe I just have high expections but more than 10 mins on hold is excessive to me. As a follow up to my previous post which I wrote while on hold, after 25 mins on hold I finally got a tech support person who then had to put me on hold for another 5 minutes so they could call the store and ask about the battery stock. After all this I was finally told that it's first come/first serve and the store will NOT hold a battery for anybody even though they have an appt for a battery replacement.

Look, I understand there are a lot of people doing this but what kind of a system is this? I asked the rep on the phone and didn't get an answer, what's the point of making an appointment if you don't know if you'll be helped or not??

Also, why can't a customer call a store directly?

Also, why can't a store tell you ahead of time if there will be batteries available?

So end result is if you are planning to do this, don't be surprised if you drive to whatever store you go to and are told to come back another day.

I really don't think I'm being unreasonable here. It was apple's choice to lower the price and they should have had the forethought and planned ahead for increased requests for battery replacement.

Think about it this way, if you made a doctors appointment and when you got there the doctor said that you'd need to come back another day because they had too many sick people walk in ahead of you, would you be pleased? Would you just cheerfully say OK and take a walk in nature?

Recap: it seems pretty clear that, whether officially or unofficially, apple stores are NOT disclosing whether they have batteries in stock, and also it's clear that an appointment made ahead of time isn't a guarantee of anything at all so you may as well just walk into the nearest store whenever you feel like it.

Apple defenders, please explain to me how I or any of the other posters here who've had these issues are in the wrong and tell us all how good a company Apple is and how well they are doing with their customer service.

Last edited:

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Well, ok, let me put things into perspective. Every other business I've ever called, cell phone company, tv company, etc either answers in a reasonable time or has a call back system that gives you an option for a call back. Maybe I just have high expections but more than 10 mins on hold is excessive to me.
It's interesting how many complaints from many people come in about calling cell phones companies, TV companies and many other ones about their hold times and not being able to get anyone and being transferred or just being hung up on at various points.

kingston73

macrumors 65816
Dec 23, 2015
It's interesting how many complaints from many people come in about calling cell phones companies, TV companies and many other ones about their hold times and not being able to get anyone and being transferred or just being hung up on at various points.

I'm not sure of your point? Are you just trolling or are you actually saying that apple's customer service is reasonable? To clarify, I'm not saying apple is the only bad service, I'm saying they are the worst of any I've experienced. If you disagree please explain why I'm wrong, I'd love to hear a justifiable answer for my issue.

An analogy: Every time I've ever had to put new tires on my truck I've made an appointment, told them what kind of tires I wanted over the phone and the day of my appointment they had the tires in stock and put them on that day.

How is replacing a battery any different? The online system know's exactly what phone you have and exactly what you are asking for, so why wouldn't the store set aside a battery for that specific appointment?

If they set the battery aside and the person doesn't show, why don't they then put those batteries into a "walk in" section and use them for people without appointments?

Last edited:
Reactions: anonymous guy

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I'm not sure of your point? Are you just trolling or are you actually saying that apple's customer service is reasonable? To clarify, I'm not saying apple is the only bad service, I'm saying they are the worst of any I've experienced. If you disagree please explain why I'm wrong, I'd love to hear a justifiable answer for my issue.

An analogy: Every time I've ever had to put new tires on my truck I've made an appointment, told them what kind of tires I wanted over the phone and the day of my appointment they had the tires in stock and put them on that day.

How is replacing a battery any different? The online system know's exactly what phone you have and exactly what you are asking for, so why wouldn't the store set aside a battery for that specific appointment?

If they set the battery aside and the person doesn't show, why don't they then put those batteries into a "walk in" section and use them for people without appointments?
The point is that while perhaps your experience has been somehow different, the general experience with that kind of thing hasn't been and isn't. You brought up those experiences and I simply commented on them since they were brought up.

kingston73

macrumors 65816
Dec 23, 2015
Have you not read this thread? Seems to me the general experience, at least in this thread, is that things have been pretty poor.

Reactions: macfacts

Pnr2020

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2015
Uk

Overall there customer service is the best in the world if you don’t want a battery replaced. I’ve took a few iPhones with faults into store and they have been replaced straight away. But there customer service if you want battery replaced is the worst even before the throttling issue. I took a phone it last year was willing to pay £79 and they said it’s fine and wouldn’t replace it even though I said I wanted it replaced.

Raist3001

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2012
Right behind you
Personally, apple handled the battery issue poorly, and possibly scrupulously. However, they have since apologized and are allowing folks to replace their batteries for $29. Obviously, this will have created a rush to have batteries replaced, and strain their current battery inventory. This is not apple acting maliciously, or in 'revenge'. This is simply consumers seeing supply constraints. If you are just a bit patient, you will get your battery changed.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
Last correction in this discussion: Apple cannot verify numbers of any item, you responded by stating it was a 'stupid policy' because of this. They only can tell you if they have the item physically in store, when they actually do so, they just don't verify the actual stock numbers regardless of how many quantity, regardless of what the customer needs for obvious reasons as such.

Thank you for the discussion.

So now you appear to have backed away and changed what the entire discussion and my point was about. Ok, agree to disagree as it’s pointless gong round in circles.

adamski23

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2017
This would be akin to waiting for a house delivery that was scheduled and not getting a courtesy call from the delivery company if the delivery cannot be completed as scheduled.

I side with the OP.

Reactions: AndyMacAndMic

AndyMacAndMic

macrumors 65816
May 25, 2017
Western Europe
My wife’s iPhone 6 has become useless. Battery goes from 100% to below 20% within minutes after taking it from the charger. She took it to the Apple store back in December and was told battery was OK and she should reinstall iOS. She did but battery issue remained. When Apple announced they would replace batteries for $29 she immediately tried to book an appointment but the first one available was today. Today she left her work and drove 35 minutes to the Apple store for her appointment only to be informed that no stores in our area have batteries available and she will get a call from them in about 10 days when they expect to get more batteries in. The Apple guy at the store told her “everyone is replacing their batteries”.

So here are my issues:
- You make a customer waste over an hour of its working day driving to an appointment that you knew would not happen. Why call in 10 days when the battery arrives and not call in advance to cancel the appointment today?
- if “everyone” is replacing their batteries I think Apple has a much bigger problem in their hands. Are they doing a good job in informing when one should replace the battery? Or is this becoming a new way of Apple to make another revenue stream over existing customers (I am pretty sure that even at $29 Apple is still making a lot of money on this)? Or will this reflect in customers that would potentially buy a new phone to hold on their old ones with new batteries for much longer?

My wife was mad. I am really mad of all this BS.

I completely agree with you. This is a school example of bad customer service.
What now? Sitting it out or going with another brand?

macTW

Suspended
Oct 17, 2016
My wife’s iPhone 6 has become useless. Battery goes from 100% to below 20% within minutes after taking it from the charger. She took it to the Apple store back in December and was told battery was OK and she should reinstall iOS. She did but battery issue remained. When Apple announced they would replace batteries for $29 she immediately tried to book an appointment but the first one available was today. Today she left her work and drove 35 minutes to the Apple store for her appointment only to be informed that no stores in our area have batteries available and she will get a call from them in about 10 days when they expect to get more batteries in. The Apple guy at the store told her “everyone is replacing their batteries”.

So here are my issues:
- You make a customer waste over an hour of its working day driving to an appointment that you knew would not happen. Why call in 10 days when the battery arrives and not call in advance to cancel the appointment today?
- if “everyone” is replacing their batteries I think Apple has a much bigger problem in their hands. Are they doing a good job in informing when one should replace the battery? Or is this becoming a new way of Apple to make another revenue stream over existing customers (I am pretty sure that even at $29 Apple is still making a lot of money on this)? Or will this reflect in customers that would potentially buy a new phone to hold on their old ones with new batteries for much longer?

My wife was mad. I am really mad of all this BS.
It’s very difficult for Apple with the influx of battery replacements.

How are they supposed to keep track of every appointment, to contact every person if the battery stock runs out? How do they know there aren’t other questions the person wants to ask?

On top of that, most of the replacements being done are people who have been duped by a placebo of slowness. “My phone feeeels slow so it must be battery!! Yes it’s at 85% life but dang it replace it!”

I understand the frustration. But Apple can’t do much more than they are. People got mad at a beneficial design and many are replacing batteries they don’t need to replace. Apple couldn’t predict thousands of illegitimate replacements, or else they’d have limited it to batteries below 80% charge hold.

AndyMacAndMic

macrumors 65816
May 25, 2017
Western Europe

How are they supposed to keep track of every appointment, to contact every person if the battery stock runs out? How do they know there aren’t other questions the person wants to ask?

On top of that, most of the replacements being done are people who have been duped by a placebo of slowness. “My phone feeeels slow so it must be battery!! Yes it’s at 85% life but dang it replace it!”

I understand the frustration. But Apple can’t do much more than they are. People got mad at a beneficial design and many are replacing batteries they don’t need to replace. Apple couldn’t predict thousands of illegitimate replacements, or else they’d have limited it to batteries below 80% charge hold.

Wait a minute:
  • OP made an appointment with Apple to change the battery.
  • Short before coming to the appointment OP confirms the appointment for a battery change via the telephone and gets confirmation by the Apple store.
  • OP arrives at the appointment: No battery, nada, come back in X days (maybe months).
How can this be good customer service? How can Apple not do much more than they did? They simply did not keep their appointment. They let people (who called beforehand for confirmation) come to the Apple store for nothing. They failed to call the OP to save him a trip to the store.
How can you defend this? Is it so hard to admit that Apple royally screwed up this one?

These are not cheap $100.- phones bought at the flee market. Premium prices are paid for iPhones. With premium prices comes great responsibility and a premium service.

No excuse: Appointment is appointment, a confirmation is a confirmation. Bad Apple. Bad customer service. Apple made the offer about the cheap battery replacements. If they can't keep them it is entirely up to Apple.
BTW you are a little late to the apology game. Lot's of people where already in the defensive for Apple in this thread. Did you read the posts? Or did you decide to step in and start the whole discussion all over again.

Last edited:

Kmart9419

macrumors 6502
May 4, 2011
I’ve witnessed Relentless in a few threads, where he/she routinely “moves the goalpost” when he/she starts losing the argument. It’s happening here and with one of my threads. You can always tell when this is happening when he/she starts writing walls of text.

I hope there is an ignore function on this site because Relentless is getting the ignore treatment from now on....

Easy, click on their name and click on ignore. Keep your sanity.

macTW

Suspended
Oct 17, 2016
Wait a minute:
  • OP made an appointment with Apple to change the battery.
  • Short before coming to the appointment OP confirms the appointment for a battery change via the telephone and gets confirmation by the Apple store.
  • OP arrives at the appointment: No battery, nada, come back in X days (maybe months).
How can this be good customer service? How can Apple not do much more than they did? They simply did not keep their appointment. They let people (who called on forehand for confirmation) come to the Apple store for nothing. They failed to call the OP to save him a trip to the store.
How can you defend this? Is it so hard to admit that Apple royally screwed up this one?

These are not cheap $100.- phones you buy at the market. You pay premium prices. With premium prices comes a premium service.

No excuse: Appointment is appointment, a confirmation is a confirmation. Bad Apple. Bad customer service. Apple made the offer about the cheap battery replacements. If they can't keep them it is entirely up to Apple.
BTW you are a little late to the apology game. Lot's of people where already in the defensive for Apple in this thread. Did you even read the posts? Or did you decide to step in and start the whole discussion all over again.
I don’t think you read my post. You chose to emotionally reply to a pro-Apple argument not because it was flawed (which it wasn’t) but because of whatever predisposed feelings you have toward Apple.

And why’d you reply to the OPs post immediately before I did, yet get upset I did?

Last edited by a moderator:

AndyMacAndMic

macrumors 65816
May 25, 2017
Western Europe
I don’t think you read my post. You chose to emotionally reply to a pro-Apple argument not because it was flawed (which it wasn’t) but because of whatever predisposed feelings you have toward Apple.

And why’d you reply to the OPs post immediately before I did, yet get upset I did?
What has my replying before you has to do with anything. I could not possibly know that you where going to reply after me?

Throwing it all on 'emotional' and 'upset' is a cheap shot and rather personal. I used only arguments about Apple in my passionate (subtle difference) reply. I never pulled the 'personal' card on you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: iSilas and apolloa

Black Tiger

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2007
That is your solution if someone has a justified problem with Apple's customer service?: Just take a stroll, enjoy nature, think about the meaning of life, walk away and do nothing about it? Really? Your downplaying skills are amazing.
And you know what? With my positive mindset, I almost always get excellent customer service. You should try it.

Reactions: Newtons Apple

macfacts

macrumors 601
Oct 7, 2012
Cybertron
Personally, apple handled the battery issue poorly, and possibly scrupulously. However, they have since apologized and are allowing folks to replace their batteries for $29. Obviously, this will have created a rush to have batteries replaced, and strain their current battery inventory. This is not apple acting maliciously, or in 'revenge'. This is simply consumers seeing supply constraints. If you are just a bit patient, you will get your battery changed.

People aren't complaining about waiting for batteries to be in stock. Please quote the users complaining about waiting.

It is the multiple appointments needed before they even order the battery. It's not being told the appointment needs a reschedule untill you are already in the store. It's being told there are batteries in stock but can't be guaranteed to be in stock when your appointment is in the afternoon.

gimmmick

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2015
Had my Genius Bar appointment at fashion show mall @ Las Vegas. The person was super cool and gave me the run down of what was to come (diagnostics to check battery). He told me the battery was good and also gave me the option to forgo with the battery replacement without any questions. The whole process took 1.5 hours (they had a lot of people schedule for battery replacements this afternoon). Thanks apple for the discounted battery.

Reactions: Newtons Apple

AndyMacAndMic

macrumors 65816
May 25, 2017
Western Europe
And you know what? With my positive mindset, I almost always get excellent customer service. You should try it.

Thanks for the advice, but I am not the one who has experienced a bad customer service. The OP has. But congratulations with your positive mindset and downplaying other's problems.

Last edited:
Reactions: iSilas

technopimp

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2009
People aren't complaining about waiting for batteries to be in stock. Please quote the users complaining about waiting.

It is the multiple appointments needed before they even order the battery. It's not being told the appointment needs a reschedule untill you are already in the store. It's being told there are batteries in stock but can't be guaranteed to be in stock when your appointment is in the afternoon.
Yep. It's making an appointment to have your oil changed, and when you get there they tell you they;re out of oil (and knew it) but wanted you to drive there to tell you in person. They then made you wait while they checked your oil to confirm they would change it (which you knew they would already) and then told you once they HAD oil in stock, they'd call you so you could come back in and drop the car off and then either wait or come back a third time.

LovingTeddy

Suspended
Oct 12, 2015
Canada

Every store has some kind of system tracking stock level. I don't believe Apple store doesn't. When you know the stock level and how many battery replacement appointment, system CAN reserve the battery for the appointment. When the stock is empty, system will stop accept appointment.

That is so simple. If you think company as large as Apple can't figure out a system tracking stock, then Apple did horrible Jon to get their store organized

technopimp

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2009

Either you work for Apple or really feel as if they can do no wrong. A “placebo of slowness”? What does that even mean? There is definitely nothing false about how unusably slow my 6+ became. And what “beneficial design”? The one where you can’t replace a battery without dismantling the entire phone? The design that is basically intended for disposability vs longevity?

I’m sorry but Apple is not your friend. If you are that loyal then I wish you all the best, but I promise you they do not care about you and your only benefit to them is if you keep handing your money over year after year.

I was stupid to get a new iPhone this year. It will be my last. When my 2014 MBP finally dies it will not be replace by an Apple product.

This company has jumped the shark. If they treat enough people poorly, eventually the masses will turn their backs on them. Tim will have to answer to the board, but by then it will be too late.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.