Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 21, 2016
My 12 Mini’s battery health is sitting at 84% and only lasts around half a day for me as a heavy user. I overcome this issue by using a MagSafe battery pack which provides me with enough power to last over a day. I am planning on replacing my battery via the Apple Store soon as I do intend to keep this phone long term.

I do not have AppleCare and intend on paying for the battery replacement. Will Apple turn me away because I have not reached 80% battery health? And will they reseal the phone with adhesive to maintain an IP68 water resistance?

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
My 12 Mini’s battery health is sitting at 84% and only lasts around half a day for me as a heavy user. I overcome this issue by using a MagSafe battery pack which provides me with enough power to last over a day. I am planning on replacing my battery via the Apple Store soon as I do intend to keep this phone long term.

I do not have AppleCare and intend on paying for the battery replacement. Will Apple turn me away because I have not reached 80% battery health? And will they reseal the phone with adhesive to maintain an IP68 water resistance?
I had the battery in my 6S replaced when it was at 82%. They told me it was not necessary and I told them I wanted it replaced regardless. They had no problem doing it as long as I was paying..

djinn

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2003
I'm sure they'll replace it if you pay. But if you try the replacement under AC I wish you luck. I have the same problem with my 12 Pro and they said it's performing as designed. I've learned that Apple store employees intelligence doesn't get passed their diagnostic app they run. If they get a green check mark on the battery or other items in the diag tool, they are quick to say, "working as designed."

Maybe this is unique to my visits to the Apple store and others have had better luck.

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 21, 2016
Glad to hear they’ll replace my battery if I pay for it. I expect batteries to last around 2 years however the 12 Mini is the worst battery yet. I’ll see if I can book a slot in a store within the next month. 👍🏻

Last edited:

Mikeske

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2012
Washington
I just had this done today on a iPhone XS that was at 80%. The diagnostic test did agree and it cost me $69.00 plus tax. I think it might be best to wait a little while longer and have the battery health down to 80% before you do it as to no question that Apple will do the replacement.

Reactions: Andeddu

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 21, 2016
Duh. But if they wanted to run the Settings app and check the battery status, then I guess it would require the pw.
They’ll sometimes ask for the password but you do not have to provide it. You can always punch in the password after the phone has been repaired and you’ve returned to the shop.

ChoiMinji

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2021
They’ll sometimes ask for the password but you do not have to provide it. You can always punch in the password after the phone has been repaired and you’ve returned to the shop.
Don’t have to provide it? Ha! No one has ever asked for my password and fat chance ever getting it. If anyone ever insulted me with such a question, they’d get a string of unpleasant words. 😀

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 21, 2016
Don’t have to provide it? Ha! No one has ever asked for my password and fat chance ever getting it. If anyone ever insulted me with such a question, they’d get a string of unpleasant words. 😀
I have been asked before and have never provided the password for obvious reasons. I agree, it’s dumb to ask as I don’t think anyone has ever provided their password before especially given that phones are hooked up to bank cards and contain sensitive information.

Reactions: ChoiMinji

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
I'm sure they'll replace it if you pay. But if you try the replacement under AC I wish you luck. I have the same problem with my 12 Pro and they said it's performing as designed. I've learned that Apple store employees intelligence doesn't get passed their diagnostic app they run. If they get a green check mark on the battery or other items in the diag tool, they are quick to say, "working as designed."

Maybe this is unique to my visits to the Apple store and others have had better luck.
Ok just defending employees here but front line employees have no power when it comes to many policy. 80% appears to be the threshold Apple management holds limit they can replace a battery. I can relate to that even in middle management. You only has so much influence and it’s limited.

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
Quick question. I thought Apple officially states to remove the device from find my and iCloud before service ?
They've asked that exactly when I've had batteries replaced in the past. I always completely erased the device and turned off find my before bringing them in. You never know when a repair will go bad and they have to replace the device...

Reactions: Fred Zed

Lyn2012

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2007
I just took my XS Max to Apple for battery replacement (82%) and they were happy to replace it if I pay the £69. However there was a problem as their database showed my serial number phone had been replaced and now doesn’t exist! Has anyone else experienced this issue? I bought the phone at launch direct from Apple (it has been in my possession ever since) and the serial number on the invoice matches that of the phone, so obviously it’s a mistake by Apple somewhere. They are still trying to sort it out as they are unable to replace the battery until their system recognises the phone - apparently they need to calibrate the battery once it’s installed in the phone. I’m hoping for some sort of compensation as it involves another long trek to the Apple store at a time when everyone is busy. A free battery would be nice!

• Sad
Reactions: Fred Zed

ChoiMinji

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2021
I just took my XS Max to Apple for battery replacement (82%) and they were happy to replace it if I pay the £69. However there was a problem as their database showed my serial number phone had been replaced and now doesn’t exist! Has anyone else experienced this issue? I bought the phone at launch direct from Apple (it has been in my possession ever since) and the serial number on the invoice matches that of the phone, so obviously it’s a mistake by Apple somewhere. They are still trying to sort it out as they are unable to replace the battery until their system recognises the phone - apparently they need to calibrate the battery once it’s installed in the phone. I’m hoping for some sort of compensation as it involves another long trek to the Apple store at a time when everyone is busy. A free battery would be nice!
Sorry about the nuisance you are experiencing...but compensation? Ha! Good luck with that, their number one objective is to squeeze as much money out of the consumer as possible.

Mc0

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2017
I tried and an AASP didn’t replace my XR battery which is now at 84%. They said it should be 82% or below UGH

Splitrail

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2021
Does apple need the PW to unlock the device to replace the battery?
I have been asked before and have never provided the password for obvious reasons. I agree, it’s dumb to ask as I don’t think anyone has ever provided their password before especially given that phones are hooked up to bank cards and contain sensitive information.
Are we talking about "password" or "passcode"?

Fat_Guy

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2021
They will replace your battery if you pay for it. You should backup the phone and at least remove any compromising stuff there if you don’t wipe the device. The screen protector will get cracked when you get it back.

As far as I know they reseal the thing up when they replace the battery, but no guarantee on that, and even if they do there probably is no guarantee on it being water resistant.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.