Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

enrincon89

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 30, 2014
Hello,

I would like to warn anyone who is thinking of getting their battery replace. I got my moms iPhone 6S battery replace early this year. Now 11 months later the phone needs to have the battery replace again. She was having issues with her phone not maintaining a charge and the phone would shut off at 20%. I notice the battery maximum capacity was 94% I called Apple support and they ran a diagnostics and they told me that the battery was faulty and needed to be replace so they scheduled an appointment to get the service done. So I gave them the phone on Saturday and picked it up Sunday. They told me that they replaced the battery and passed all the testing. When I got home I noticed the battery maximum capacity was still at 94% and the phone kept shutting off at 20%. So I download coconut battery on my Mac and connected the iPhone to the Mac and it showed me the iPhone battery had 243 battery cycles. So they didn’t change the battery and they charged me $30.

Last edited:

yanki01

macrumors 68040
Feb 28, 2009
was it done by an apple authorized repair shop? have you called them about your issue that you found?

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
On older devices, the battery capacity value sometimes doesn't update until a restore or an iOS update is performed.

Ask the Apple Store rep to show you the battery diagnostics info from their iPad.

dazz87

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2007
Hello,

I would like to warn anyone who is thinking of getting their battery replace. I got my moms iPhone 6S battery replace early this year. Now 11 months later the phone needs to have the battery replace again. She was having issues with her phone not maintaining a charge and the phone would shut off at 20%. I notice the battery maximum capacity was 94% I called Apple support and they ran a diagnostics and they told me that the battery was faulty and needed to be replace so they scheduled an appointment to get the service done. So I gave them the phone on Saturday and picked it up Sunday. They told me that they replaced the battery and passed all the testing. When I got home I noticed the battery maximum capacity was still at 94% and the phone kept shutting off at 20%. So I download coconut battery on my Mac and connected the iPhone to the Mac and it showed me the iPhone battery had 243 battery cycles. So they didn’t change the battery and they charged me $30.
Take it back and show them what coconut battery is showing. After replacing my mom's iphone 6 battery i made sure and checked coconut battery after i got the phone back from apple. I have a mini ipad 4 that is also shutting down when it hit 20% or lower.

DSTOFEL

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2011
Also, check the phone over carefully when you get it back. I had the batter replaced on my 7 by Apple under the replacement program a couple of weeks ago. I'd had it 2 years and the battery health shoed 84%. When I got it back, the Touch ID did not work. I tried to pay the $29 charge with Apple Pay when I got the phone back and the home button wouldn't register my fingerprint. I assumed that somehow my fingerprint had been erased during the process but when I tried to re-register my fingerprint when I got home....wouldn't work! I took it back to Apple the next day and explained the situation.....they offered me a new iPhone 7. They could have easily claimed that they didn't break it...that the Touch ID was probably broken when I brought it in. Even though they check the phone over when you bring it in (ie for damages, etc...)....they don't check everything. Anyway....it worked out....so, all's well that ends well!

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Also, check the phone over carefully when you get it back. I had the batter replaced on my 7 by Apple under the replacement program a couple of weeks ago. I'd had it 2 years and the battery health shoed 84%. When I got it back, the Touch ID did not work. I tried to pay the $29 charge with Apple Pay when I got the phone back and the home button wouldn't register my fingerprint. I assumed that somehow my fingerprint had been erased during the process but when I tried to re-register my fingerprint when I got home....wouldn't work! I took it back to Apple the next day and explained the situation.....they offered me a new iPhone 7. They could have easily claimed that they didn't break it...that the Touch ID was probably broken when I brought it in. Even though they check the phone over when you bring it in (ie for damages, etc...)....they don't check everything. Anyway....it worked out....so, all's well that ends well!
Good to hear that it worked out in your case (certainly would have been better if it didn't even get to that, but things happen). That said, there have been some other posts here and there with people discovering some issue after they have left the store and Apple basically claiming that they couldn't be sure whether it was due to their work or perhaps due to something that might have happened to the device after it was picked up, and basically wouldn't offer to do anything (short of basically buying a new replacement or something like that).

DSTOFEL

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2011
Good to hear that it worked out in your case (certainly would have been better if it didn't even get to that, but things happen). That said, there have been some other posts here and there with people discovering some issue after they have left the store and Apple basically claiming that they couldn't be sure whether it was due to their work or perhaps due to something that might have happened to the device after it was picked up, and basically wouldn't offer to do anything (short of basically buying a new replacement or something like that).
That's exactly what I thought "could" have happened in my case (ie they could have easily taken the position that they have no way of knowing if the broken Touch ID was a pre-existing condition). It probably pays to have them document (in the notes when they take your phone certain basics (ie camera works, Touch ID works, lightning connector works, speakers work, document any scratches, etc..). I'm certainly going to try and do that next time I need service.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
That's exactly what I thought "could" have happened in my case (ie they could have easily taken the position that they have no way of knowing if the broken Touch ID was a pre-existing condition). It probably pays to have them document (in the notes when they take your phone certain basics (ie camera works, Touch ID works, lightning connector works, speakers work, document any scratches, etc..). I'm certainly going to try and do that next time I need service.
I believe they are supposed to run some sort of a diagnostic at the end, but hard to say if that really happens all the time and/or if that would really reveal everything even if it happens.

enrincon89

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 30, 2014
UPDATE- I went back to the store to tell them about the battery problems and they told me they did replace the battery. They ran other diagnostics and the phone had unknown errors. So they replace the iPhone with a new one at no cost.

Reactions: ftaok
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.