Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AGuerrav

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 2, 2012
Medellin, Colombia
35B5682D-8597-4C39-86BB-A547E6866789.jpeg
Which it’s more accurate to understand the behavior of my iPhone’s battery? The ‘last charged to 100%’ indicator which tell me how many hours last my actual battery since it’s last cycle.

Or, the ‘screen active’ indicator time? I don’t know how to fully understand this one. Is this the same as SOT?

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
Apple changed this back on iOS 12, and it sowed widespread confusion: so much so that I can’t trust people’s results at face-value anymore because they are so wildly misinterpreted.

The number you see at the bottom (“screen active”), is the screen-on time from the last 24 hours irrespective of charging status. It includes both usage whilst charging and whilst unplugged. To obtain the correct value, if applicable, you need to subtract the sum of the hour bars which correspond to the time-frame between the beginning of the 24-hour period and the time in which you unplugged the device.

In your case, you’d need to subtract the 21:00-22:00 bar and the 22:00-23:00 bar. You unplugged at 22:49. I’ll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you used it right after unplugging (I have to guess, because I don't know. Thanks Apple for changing it). So, more or less: 6h 46 min - (48 minutes + 43 minutes) = 6h 46 min - 1h 31 min: 5h 15 min of screen-on time 100 to… what? 10-15%? More or less.

Edit... horrible mistake. The second bar is closer to 45 min, it appears that I can’t read it either.

Last edited:

AGuerrav

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 2, 2012
Medellin, Colombia
Apple changed this back on iOS 12, and it sowed widespread confusion: so much so that I can’t trust people’s results at face-value anymore because they are so wildly misinterpreted.

The number you see at the bottom (“screen active”), is the screen-on time from the last 24 hours irrespective of charging status. It includes both usage whilst charging and whilst unplugged. To obtain the correct value, if applicable, you need to subtract the sum of the hour bars which correspond to the time-frame between the beginning of the 24-hour period and the time in which you unplugged the device.

In your case, you’d need to subtract the 21:00-22:00 bar and the 22:00-23:00 bar. You unplugged at 22:49. I’ll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you used it right after unplugging (I have to guess, because I don't know. Thanks Apple for changing it). So, more or less: 6h 46 min - (48 minutes + 32 minutes) = 6h 46 min - 1h 20 min: 5h 26 min of screen-on time 100 to… what? 10-15%? More or less.
Yep 20%, thanks a lot, very informative!!
It’s a shame that apple change things to make more complicated to understand for the user… as Jobs himself said it ‘We give the user what we think is needed, because the user don’t know what it wants…’

Last edited:

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
After the math you have to do to get it I would never check it again 🤣
And that’s not even the whole story: how do you track battery life if you use the device for more than 24 hours, say, three days? With the “last 10 days” screen? Well... it isn’t so easy. If the number on that bar from the first and second day includes all of your usage from this cycle and when unplugged, then it applies. What if you used it in the morning, recharged it, and then kept using it? Well, that number is now useless. To get an accurate number you’d have to (listen to this because it is insane. I have no idea how Apple ever approved that graph) write down screen-on time pertaining to this cycle on that day (because the 24 hours time will step on it), and then add it to the rest of the data as it is available. Horribly cumbersome and inefficient. For efficiency’s sake, Apple, just add a “screen-on time since last fully charged” section, it isn’t that difficult.

Reactions: AGuerrav

AGuerrav

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 2, 2012
Medellin, Colombia
All we have to do now is to find the right app that do it in a simple manner, i guess that must be out there into the app store!!

iKoopa

macrumors member
Feb 5, 2011
The Bronx, New York
All we have to do now is to find the right app that do it in a simple manner, i guess that must be out there into the app store!!
We shouldn't even need an app to do so. Just give us a "Screen on time" metric and call it a day. I'm looking at my Galaxy Note 9 battery screen and it displays my stats from the last full charge. I don't ever see a need for stats from the past 10 days, I only care once I take off the charger. Hoping Apple goes to something like this in the future.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230112-153010_Device care.jpg
    Screenshot_20230112-153010_Device care.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 59
Reactions: FeliApple

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
We shouldn't even need an app to do so. Just give us a "Screen on time" metric and call it a day. I'm looking at my Galaxy Note 9 battery screen and it displays my stats from the last full charge. I don't ever see a need for stats from the past 10 days, I only care once I take off the charger. Hoping Apple goes to something like this in the future.
Great minds think alike! Like I said:
For efficiency’s sake, Apple, just add a “screen-on time since last fully charged” section, it isn’t that difficult.

Reactions: iKoopa
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.