Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

srkmish

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 10, 2013
I am done with 7 inch tablets as they are too small to really enjoy surfing/ magazines and graphic rich pdfs. My 7 inch tab has become a toy for me basically.

I am very excited about Ipad air as it has reduced its weight much. But now Kindle fire hdx 8.9 has caught my fancy. Look at the specs - 9 inch 326 ppi with 12 hrs battery life at a mere 312 grams :eek: . Again damn confused. Any other tablet i should weigh in?

Leaving out Note 10.1 new edition as it is too expensive especially here in India. Any Xperia tab z owners here? How has your long term usage been?

AAPLinc

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2012
Hollywood, CA
To me, 7-8" tablets are perfect, because in my opinion tablets are supposed to be as portable as possible, smaller than laptops, and able to hold comfortably while sitting on the couch, on an airplane, etc. The ability to hold my N7.2 with one hand and navigate with the other, feels the way a tablet should be. Some say 7" tabs feel like an "oversized cell phone" but my cellphone (5S) is only 4", so I don't feel that way.

If I were interested in a full size (10"+) tablet I'd probably get an iPad (iPad 4 or air?) or maybe the upcoming Nexus 10.2. It's rumored to have a Snapdragon 800 and it might have micro SD expansion.

But again, I love my N7.2. 7" is perfect for me because I love the portability and game play is more of an ease. My room mate has an iPad 3, and me and him will both be on the couch using our tablets, and because the large size of his tablet, he has to position himself weird to use it for intense games or even heavy typing. Big tablets are nice if you really need that screen but for me, 7-8" is the sweet spot. I really wish Nexus made the N7 into the N8, because I would chose 8" over 7", but I doubt that will happen.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
note 10.1 2014 is my next tablet...or till get the note 12.2.

the note 10.1 is everything i need in a tablet. Amazing screen too. Will just keep it for home. take my note 8.0 for work and note 3 for everyday use.

AAPLinc

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2012
Hollywood, CA
note 10.1 2014 is my next tablet...or till get the note 12.2.

the note 10.1 is everything i need in a tablet. Amazing screen too. Will just keep it for home. take my note 8.0 for work and note 3 for everyday use.

Upcoming Nexus 10.2 will most likely have better specs than Note 10.1, probably a cheaper price tag, better OS, less bloat, better overall experience, etc. Samsung tablet's have a lot of features, but there is something about them that bothers me. I originally bought my N7.2, took it back (was unsure), got the Samsung Tab 3 8.0, but then returned it to get the N7.2 again and I am so glad I did after comparing it to Samsung. Google's Nexus line just has an unmatched experience. No lag, butter smooth and instant updates.

Last edited:

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
I'll be keeping my galaxy tab 2 10.1 for a while yet but if I was buying a larger android tablet I'd get the galaxy note 10.1 2014 edition. I think my next device will be the note 8.0 though.

Stinger76

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2013
Okinawa, Japan
Full size tablets

I don't need anything bigger than the 10.1 personally. There are two things that I love about the Note that iPad doesn't feature. The expandable memory, and the ability to have two apps open on screen at the same time. S note looks like a really cool app! Why Apple still won't allow users to expand their memory on the iPad is beyond me.

I could care less about a stylus, but some things Google/Samsung are doing is awesome!

Are there any people on this forum that have both the Note 10.1 and the iPad? Just curious if it's another one of those "personal preference" things or if the benefits of expandability and ability to do things on the note that you can't do on an iPad is worth the cost of getting a Note.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
I don't need anything bigger than the 10.1 personally. There are two things that I love about the Note that iPad doesn't feature. The expandable memory, and the ability to have two apps open on screen at the same time. S note looks like a really cool app! Why Apple still won't allow users to expand their memory on the iPad is beyond me.

I could care less about a stylus, but some things Google/Samsung are doing is awesome!

Are there any people on this forum that have both the Note 10.1 and the iPad? Just curious if it's another one of those "personal preference" things or if the benefits of expandability and ability to do things on the note that you can't do on an iPad is worth the cost of getting a Note.

I have both (actually have 3--Mini, new Note 10.1, and Nexus 7) and previously owned the first 3 generations of the full size iPad. I opted for the Note this time primarily due to the prospects of being much better from a productivity standpoint, especially the functionality added by the S-Pen. And for the most part it doesn't disappoint.

The S-Pen is great, even better when using the larger S-Pen you can purchase separately. S-Note is great and being able to sync it with Evernote makes it infinitely more useful. Scrapbook is pretty nice though it's really not much more than creating a much fancier set of bookmarks. Action memo is kind of gimmicky--it works for the most part but I don't really see it being easier than just creating a contact in the Contacts app. Pen Window is also nice but only 6 apps are currently available to use. Same goes for Multi-window. It's far more useful on the 10" form factor than it ever was when I used it on the Galaxy Note 2 but again, it's limited by the number of available apps (though it's far more than available in Pen Window).

The added flexibility afforded by Android makes it much better for productivity (file manager, sharing between apps, ability to attach any file type to an email).

I like iPads for media consumption (web browsing, reading, gaming), iOS still has better tablet apps (and greater selection) in many cases and there are the benefits specific to the Apple ecosystem (AirPlay mirroring to Apple TVs, iMessage, iTunes video, iBooks, iWork and iLife, full iCloud integration). If you are strictly tied to or require this Apple specific functionality, then the iPad will likely be a better choice. Otherwise, the Android tablets are far more capable, IMO, and the Galaxy Note 10.1 (2014) is better damn slick--and the hardware rivals, if not exceeds even the new iPad Air.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
I have both (actually have 3--Mini, new Note 10.1, and Nexus 7) and previously owned the first 3 generations of the full size iPad. I opted for the Note this time primarily due to the prospects of being much better from a productivity standpoint, especially the functionality added by the S-Pen. And for the most part it doesn't disappoint.

The S-Pen is great, even better when using the larger S-Pen you can purchase separately. S-Note is great and being able to sync it with Evernote makes it infinitely more useful. Scrapbook is pretty nice though it's really not much more than creating a much fancier set of bookmarks. Action memo is kind of gimmicky--it works for the most part but I don't really see it being easier than just creating a contact in the Contacts app. Pen Window is also nice but only 6 apps are currently available to use. Same goes for Multi-window. It's far more useful on the 10" form factor than it ever was when I used it on the Galaxy Note 2 but again, it's limited by the number of available apps (though it's far more than available in Pen Window).

The added flexibility afforded by Android makes it much better for productivity (file manager, sharing between apps, ability to attach any file type to an email).

I like iPads for media consumption (web browsing, reading, gaming), iOS still has better tablet apps (and greater selection) in many cases and there are the benefits specific to the Apple ecosystem (AirPlay mirroring to Apple TVs, iMessage, iTunes video, iBooks, iWork and iLife, full iCloud integration). If you are strictly tied to or require this Apple specific functionality, then the iPad will likely be a better choice. Otherwise, the Android tablets are far more capable, IMO, and the Galaxy Note 10.1 (2014) is better damn slick--and the hardware rivals, if not exceeds even the new iPad Air.

you sync with samsung account or evernote? how does it work...does it just pick up the scrap booker/memos?

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
you sync with samsung account or evernote? how does it work...does it just pick up the scrap booker/memos?

Found I can only sync Evernote with S-Note, didn't see the ability to set up Evernote as a sync account on Scrapbook, only the Samsung account. I'm guessing both S-Note and Scrapbook sync nicely to the Galaxy Note III via the Samsung account--don't have a Note III myself so I cannot test it.

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2012
Michigan
Not really interested in buying anything with Lagwiz on it. I've seen stutters on the 10.1 2014 thanks to touchwiz that should not be there. More interested in what Asus and whatever the next Nexus 10 have to offer.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Not really interested in buying anything with Lagwiz on it. I've seen stutters on the 10.1 2014 thanks to touchwiz that should not be there. More interested in what Asus and whatever the next Nexus 10 have to offer.

Yeah DetroitBorg review on YouTube shows some of the lag on the device.

Pushing the extra pixels and being exynos rather than S800 seems to make it struggle a little here and there.

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2012
Michigan
Yeah DetroitBorg review on YouTube shows some of the lag on the device.

Pushing the extra pixels and being exynos rather than S800 seems to make it struggle a little here and there.

Yeah. I watched that as well.

Also, I don't think it's the pixels or lack of horsepower. I think it has to do with samsungs lack of optimization.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Yeah. I watched that as well.

Also, I don't think it's the pixels or lack of horsepower. I think it has to do with samsungs lack of optimization.

Yeah Samsung need to take a year out adding new software and features and concentrate on optimising their OS inside and out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.