Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I received an invite from EA for the open beta of Battlefield 1 this week and I downloaded it. This morning I played a couple of rounds and it was pretty fun. It somewhat reminds me of the original "Medal of Honor" series, like "Allied Assault", "Spearhead" and "Breakthrough" from the early 2000's.

The setting is WWI and so far the game play is a little more my speed, i.e. slower! I loved Battlefield 1942 and Battlefield 2 and spent a lot of time playing those games. I have Battlefield 4, and its okay, but it’s a bit too fast-paced for me and the youngsters wipe me out too quickly so I don't really play it very much.

BF1 looks like it’s a little slower and not as much going on all around which means I can keep up and not get killed within seconds.

maxresdefault.jpg

Reactions: BillyBobBongo

panda76

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2016
Love the battlefield series, apart from the novelties, after the first hour I felt that the gunplay was off and things didn't feel great.. but after a couple of hours have really started to get into it

Am loving flying the bomber with a squad, or trying out the different types of tanks (yes there was sub-types).. plus the actual fighting itself is pretty intense

Can't wait for the full game, definitely day 1 buy from me, also pushing all my regular gamer friends to get it because the squad play is the best part

Reactions: SandboxGeneral

madeirabhoy

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2012
downloaded it but have never played more than 5 mins of single player battlefield 4, and feeling overwhelmed

what am i supposed to do? how do i know who's on my side? what are the objectives?

BillyBobBongo

macrumors 68030
Jun 21, 2007
On The Interweb Thingy!
I've been playing 'Conquest'. The idea is to capture and hold the flag points, the more you have the more points you will accumulate. At a point in the game the team with the lowest score gets the armoured train to try to balance the game out.

First to 300 wins.

If you don't see a blue or green marker over a persons head, then they're the enemy. Shoot them.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Well the open beta is now closed. It was certainly fun while it lasted. I should have easily met the requirements for a beta badge they offered for making level 15 and playing on at least 4 different days, all of which I exceeded.

This is a game I will be buying next month when its released.

pcmacgamer

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2013
Late reply but I enjoyed the beta a lot. Wasn't a big fan of the modern UI they were using. Just didn't have the feel of a world war type game when playing. UI felt very similar to the Battlefront game.

Aside from the UI I definitely enjoyed the game play. They will balance things out by time of actual release so I am not worried about weapons being overpowered. The one thing that bothered me was that no one revived each other. Will eventually buy the game when it lowers in price. I still get hours of playtime from BF4 and BF3 so I am in no rush.

Reactions: SandboxGeneral

WinstonRumfoord

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2014
Agreed. I was revived only once that whole week of playing.

I noticed that as well. in BF4 (XB1) there seem to be loads of "medics" and I get revived every 3rd death I imagine.

I hope they tweak some balance to promote the medic revive more, somehow! Can't fricken wait for it to release, I tried playing BF4 again and it seemed so...modern! I might have to find an old PC and BF1942 and scratch my itch that way until then. Or better yet, BF Vietnam (best game soundtrack ever).

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I noticed that as well. in BF4 (XB1) there seem to be loads of "medics" and I get revived every 3rd death I imagine.

I hope they tweak some balance to promote the medic revive more, somehow! Can't fricken wait for it to release, I tried playing BF4 again and it seemed so...modern! I might have to find an old PC and BF1942 and scratch my itch that way until then. Or better yet, BF Vietnam (best game soundtrack ever).
I have BF4 and just can't get into it like I could BF2 and BF2142. I really loved BF2142 and wish I could still play it. I also liked BF1942 a lot as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.