Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

flat five

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2007
newyorkcity
Ok, then what was your "point" about the n word? It's not about racism?

yes, it's about racism.. if you don't use the word then fine, that's good.

my point was that there's a world of difference between a white person saying it and a black person saying it.

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
yes, it's about racism.. if you don't use the word then fine, that's good.

my point was that there's a world of difference between a white person saying it and a black person saying it.

Gee, thanks. I feel so much better now. You must really think the world of me. :rolleyes:

Drop off.

flat five

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2007
newyorkcity
Gee, thanks. I feel so much better now. You must really think the world of me. :rolleyes:

Drop off.

uhh.. i don't even know you or think anything of you (except maybe you got a touch of drama queen in you).. you're just some random on the interwebs like the rest of us.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
[url=http://cdn.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png]Image[/url]

Last week, Apple confirmed its plans to acquire Beats Electronics and Beats Music in a $3 billion deal that would bring a successful headphone business and a fledgling streaming music service under Apple's umbrella. While many have pointed to Jimmy Iovine as the acquisition target, Apple may also be using the deal to boost its "coolness" factor among younger users, as suggested in a survey by education technology company Chegg (via Re/code).

Chegg asked 10,000 students about their experience with Beats and their knowledge of the Apple-Beats merger. While most of the students surveyed were familiar with the Beats brand, only 15 percent had purchased Beats products and a mere three percent had subscribed to the Beats Music service. More than half of the students (60 percent) were aware of the deal with one quarter claiming the deal will make Apple more "cool" and fifty percent believing the acquisition will increase Apple's popularity among students. Beats is often criticized as being a bass-heavy fashion accessory and not a true audiophile product, but sales figures reveal that the typically younger consumers who buy Beats are more interested in appearance than audio quality. According to marketing research company NPD, Beats accounts for 27 percent of the $1.8 billion headphone market and more than half (57 percent) of the premium market for headphones with a starting price tag of $100 or more.

Article Link: Beats Acquisition Boosting Apple's 'Coolness' Factor Among Young Consumers

Gah, our youth is dumber than ever. I'll go nuts if I see another young kid in the gym wonder why he can't exercise while having on humungous headphones, I swear it's the saddest thing I've ever seen in the gym. I'll give it to Apple though, they are genius at marketing dumbness so the Beats acquisition was a great move.

Gary03mw

macrumors regular
Mar 22, 2013
black dudes are allowed to say that word.. they took it from whitey and said "you are never to use this word ever again".. and it's working.
when the point has been fully made, they'll stop using it along with everybody else..
you think you (white people) get offended when you hear that word? imagine being black and having some cracker calling you that.. then it would really suck.

So much wrong here... it's really astonishing to me how seemingly unaware you are of your own racism while calling others racist.

flat five

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2007
newyorkcity
So much wrong here... it's really astonishing to me how seemingly unaware you are of your own racism while calling others racist.

what exactly did i say that's so offensive to you? i think there's some misinterpretations of what i said going on.

but again, i didn't call anybody a racist.. the terms whitey and cracker are synonymous with racist/bigot but i didn't say, nor mean to imply "you, gary, are a cracker" or whatever.

how am i coming across as racist? i don't get that part either.

Gary03mw

macrumors regular
Mar 22, 2013
what exactly did i say that's so offensive to you? i think there's some misinterpretations of what i said going on.

but again, i didn't call anybody a racist.. the terms whitey and cracker are synonymous with racist/bigot but i didn't say, nor mean to imply "you, gary, are a cracker" or whatever.

how am i coming across as racist? i don't get that part either.

The terms "whitey" and "cracker" are synonymous with racist/bigot?

http://thesaurus.com/browse/bigot
http://thesaurus.com/browse/racist

Funny, I don't see those terms anywhere. It's because those terms are derogatory terms for white people in the same vein as the "N" word.

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=cracker+definition
"3. US offensive
another term for poor white."

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=whitey+definition
"noun
informal derogatory
noun: whitey; plural noun: whiteys; noun: whity; plural noun: whities

a contemptuous term used by black people to refer to a white person or to white people collectively."

To flip it around, that's the equivalent of me saying the "N" word and then telling you that everyone who is an "N" word is a racist... You know because the "N" word is synonymous with racist/bigot.

And no, you didn't come out and call anyone a racist. I got a little confused with multiple people having semi related, but different, conversations in the thread. My fault. Still though, you might want to take it easy on terms like "whitey" and "cracker."

Last edited:

flat five

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2007
newyorkcity
The terms "whitey" and "cracker" are synonymous with racist/bigot?

http://thesaurus.com/browse/bigot
http://thesaurus.com/browse/racist

Funny, I don't see those terms anywhere. It's because those terms are derogatory terms for white people in the same vein as the "N" word.

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=cracker+definition
"3. US offensive
another term for poor white."

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=whitey+definition
"noun
informal derogatory
noun: whitey; plural noun: whiteys; noun: whity; plural noun: whities

a contemptuous term used by black people to refer to a white person or to white people collectively."

these are slang words and you gotta be somewhat careful with referring to a dictionary as some sort of definitive meaning.. especially with slang revolving around a relatively fast changing topic.. dunno, i thought the context i used them in would show what i meant but maybe not.

To flip it around, that's the equivalent of me saying the "N" word and then telling you that everyone who is an "N" word is a racist... You know because the "N" word is synonymous with racist/bigot.

no, i don't know that.. in fact, those aren't even remotely close to sharing a similar meaning as far as my interpretation goes.

Still though, you might want to take it easy on terms like "whitey" and "cracker."
sure.. i can see that.. i mean, they are derogatory words and i did use them and mean them in a derogatory context.. but if the wrong people are getting offended by it due to misinterpretations then that's not too good.. it's poor communication. (as in, all the follow up to what i said hasn't even been about what i said or the thought i was trying to get across.. it's been about how i said it)

Gary03mw

macrumors regular
Mar 22, 2013
no, i don't know that.. in fact, those aren't even remotely close to sharing a similar meaning as far as my interpretation goes.

That was sarcasm. It was meant to show that you did the exact same thing. That's why it was prefaced with the "You know." Regardless, I agree that it's utterly ridiculous to classify a derogatory word like the "n" word (or cracker or whitey) as a synonym for a bigot/racist. That's actually the point I'm making. Here's the issue...

You say:
Whitey/Cracker = Racist/Bigot

Reality:
Whitey/Cracker = The "n" word

I'm trying to get you to realize your mistake by telling you that if:
then:
The "n" word = Racist/Bigot

I certainly realize that neither of these are true. The obvious irony in your mistake is that in your definition the victim of racism is being called the racist.

flat five

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2007
newyorkcity
I'm trying to get you to realize your mistake by telling you that if:
then:
The "n" word = Racist/Bigot

that forced connection only works out for the point you're trying to make. that being -> I'm saying the use of the word ****** is not politically correct while at the same time, saying it in a way that's not politically correct.. that's the irony, right?

but that only means you're not hearing what I'm saying. I already said i meant for those words to come across in a derogatory manner an if I were to use them on the street, they'd come across as such. so the point you're trying to make is unnecessary. I already know what I said, how I said it, and what I meant by it. and it wasn't about being politically correct.. more like politically respect.

steve333

macrumors 65816
Dec 12, 2008
Here we go again. Claiming racism just because many of us realize that beats headphones are garbage. Wow.... Are you employed by Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton? Hilarious though. Jimmy Iovine is white so how's the racism thing working for ya? Oh wait, we only dislike half of the beats headphones. The black half that is. Right.

You think people would be up in arms if Pharrel Williams was the other half and not Dre?
It's not always racism, it's about the person himself who is objectionable

Gary03mw

macrumors regular
Mar 22, 2013
that forced connection only works out for the point you're trying to make. that being -> I'm saying the use of the word ****** is not politically correct while at the same time, saying it in a way that's not politically correct.. that's the irony, right?

but that only means you're not hearing what I'm saying. I already said i meant for those words to come across in a derogatory manner an if I were to use them on the street, they'd come across as such. so the point you're trying to make is unnecessary. I already know what I said, how I said it, and what I meant by it. and it wasn't about being politically correct.. more like politically respect.

I may be confused, so correct me if I'm wrong, but I take this to mean that "you know what you said was racist and you really don't care and therefore my point is unnecessary." But yeah, I'm honestly confused at what you mean here.

flat five

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2007
newyorkcity
I may be confused, so correct me if I'm wrong, but I take this to mean that "you know what you said was racist and you really don't care and therefore my point is unnecessary." But yeah, I'm honestly confused at what you mean here.

I didn't say anything racist. I used the words whitey and cracker.. you're the one saying those are racist words.. I'm saying those are derogatory words which are used towards racist white people. there's a difference.

Gary03mw

macrumors regular
Mar 22, 2013
I didn't say anything racist. I used the words whitey and cracker.. you're the one saying those are racist words.. I'm saying those are derogatory words which are used towards racist white people. there's a difference.

MIND BLOWN:eek:

and 2+2=5

RenoG

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2010
The very fact that a thread about electronics can be derailed into a topic of race because one of the owners is a Black American really speaks volumes here. If jimmy was the only face of beats we would still be talking about the crappy cool headphones.

flat five

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2007
newyorkcity
MIND BLOWN:eek:

and 2+2=5

the only reason your mind is blown is because you're not reading what I say. i can again try to explain to you how whitey and/or cracker is used these days and/or how I used it but based on past attempts, I'm pretty sure you'll skim right over it as if I didn't even say anything.

Gary03mw

macrumors regular
Mar 22, 2013
the only reason your mind is blown is because you're not reading what I say. i can again try to explain to you how whitey and/or cracker is used these days and/or how I used it but based on past attempts, I'm pretty sure you'll skim right over it as if I didn't even say anything.

No, I'm reading exactly what you're typing. You just refuse to acknowledge that your definitions of these words are wrong. The word whitey cannot be used interchangeably with the word racist. They are not synonyms.

Synonyms for whitey would be things like cracker and honkey. Further down the line you get to other racist slurs like coon, gook, monkey, and the n word.

Synonyms for racist would be things like bigot, chauvinist, prejudiced, etc.

You need to understand that whitey doesn't fit in the bottom group in the same way none of those other racist words fit in the bottom group.

flat five

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2007
newyorkcity
No, I'm reading exactly what you're typing. You just refuse to acknowledge that your definitions of these words are wrong. The word whitey cannot be used interchangeably with the word racist. They are not synonyms.

so if i'm walking down the street and see some white guy telling dude "get outta my way with your lazy black ass" (or whatever)..
then i say "easy there whitey"..
what's the outcome?

a) i'm racist
b) i'm misusing the word and/or make no sense.
c) something else
d) all three people know exactly what i meant

Synonyms for whitey would be things like cracker and honkey. Further down the line you get to other racist slurs like coon, gook, monkey, and the n word.

even in that context, being called cracker is not the same as the non white slurs.. you can't honestly say "oh, i know how it feels to be black and called a ****** because i'm white and have been called a cracker" ..i mean, come on already.

nia820

macrumors 68020
Jun 27, 2011
How young are they talking about? Because I'm 26 and find nothing cool about beats. They must talking about the pre teen and teenage crowd.

swy05

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2008
It's kind of sad to see but, brands like Sennheiser, Klipsch, Shure are becoming like Bose. Their brand name has become more important than the product itself. I'm not saying their products are crap because of course, they are not. But they are turning into Bose. Overpriced products. Quality is great but for the comparable price, there are better cheaper alternatives.

Beats? Bottom of the totem pole. I don't even consider them an original company created by Dre and Iovine. Beats is essentially a company strong-armed from Monster. :rolleyes:

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
It's kind of sad to see but, brands like Sennheiser, Klipsch, Shure are becoming like Bose. Their brand name has become more important than the product itself. I'm not saying their products are crap because of course, they are not. But they are turning into Bose. Overpriced products. Quality is great but for the comparable price, there are better cheaper alternatives.

Beats? Bottom of the totem pole. I don't even consider them an original company created by Dre and Iovine. Beats is essentially a company strong-armed from Monster. :rolleyes:

Sennheiser has been bringing more of their production back in house from their Chinese outsourcing.

vice-versa

macrumors member
Mar 8, 2012
I'm guessing most of you people are from the East Coat? If so, this map explains everything. Notice that the more whitey, the more racism.

original.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.