Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

runlsd

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 17, 2009
5469566651_84110a856b.jpg

Beats Tour with Control Talk & A-Jays Four Comparison: Battle of the f(l)at cables.

I'd like to start off by disclosing the fact that I am not an expert with loads of technical knowledge. Instead, I'm a recent university graduate who enjoys music enough to invest in better-than-stock earphones and yet can't afford the creme of the crop. There was some interest in these two earphones in different forums so here are my personal and subjective comparison of Beats by Dr. Dre Tour with Control Talk and A-Jays Four.

Design:
5470161390_c43736eaec.jpg

Very subjective here. You be the judge. Both sport the flat "tangle-free" cables and L-shaped jack. A real advantage of having flat cables is its durability. They feel solid and I don't have to cringe each time something tugs on my earphones. I would say A-Jays are subdued while Beats standout. Both good looking earphones.

Remote:
5469567359_85edd2c2d7.jpg

While they function just about the same, I personally prefer Control Talk on Beats over A-Jays' remote. If you look carefully, three buttons found on A-Jays are round. Only the middle (play/pause) button is convex while the volume buttons are concave. Control Talk has differently shaped buttons. This is a minor detail to most people, but I find the play/pause button on Control Talk much easier to find. Instead of double-pressing the play/pause to skip to the next track, I wish double-pressing or long-pressing on volume up/down buttons will skip tracks. Unfortunately, the mic on these headsets do not work properly with my Bold 9780 so I won't comment on those.

Packaging/Included Accessories:
5469568971_02a54ac620.jpg

5469570071_01f0490301.jpg

Beats Tour include: 3 pairs of standard silicon tips, 2 different sizes of "triple layer" silicone tips, and a carrying case. Mine also came with those U-shaped attachments to Beats that fit around the ear; I didn't see those in other reviews though.

5469571235_e0302fc385.jpg

A-Jays include: 5 different sizes of silicon tips.

Fit/Noise Isolation:
This may also vary from individual to individual. Neither isolated noise as well as my last earphones: Etymotic Research ER6. Between these two, I was able to achieve a much better fit/seal with Beats since the earbuds go deeper into the ears. Some may find this uncomfortable. A-Jays simply don't fit in deep enough to create that seal or even fit securely. I have Comply foam ear tips on the way for both of these earbuds so the fit is subject to change.

Sound profile:
I try to steer away from calling it sound "quality" since it may insinuate that I know what I'm talking about. Anyway, continuing with my personal take. Again, neither of these sound as clear and detailed as ER-6 I had.

Beats don't disappoint with bass as advertised. However, I'm just barely satisfied with mids and highs. For the price, I feel like they should offer better in this department. Overall, Beats have a smooth profile that is fairly pleasing to listen to.

A-Jays can't cope with Beats in terms of bass. But it's better in other departments. They're fairly detailed for half the price of Beats Tour. I listen to wide genres of music. But my favourites definitely call for greater overall detail than distinctive bass.

The Verdict:
I will have to give A-Jays more time. Unless the Comply foam tips changes things significantly, however, I'm going with Beats Tour. Better fit means better noise isolation which means I can listen to music at lower volumes. I work at an orthopaedic lab with loud grinders operating all day. A-Jays didn't block out sound sufficiently.

That's all. Hopefully this was helpful if you happen to be in the market for either one of these.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Good review & many thanks.

Specific note on the Bold 9700/9780's I owned BOTH twice for each; 3x actually for 9700. Although the sections are the same for the AJay Fours vs RIM own Premium Stereo Headset (the expensive ones that launched early last year at $130CAN) the sections are different. PlayBack Controls didn't work (iPhone Control Talk) on either bold only the long-press to voice dial worked.

Regarding the actual audio RIM needs to improve their DSP or whomever makes their chipset needs to = Marvell.

Again great review & thanks.

steve knight

macrumors 68030
Jan 28, 2009
fit is the biggest thing with earbuds. so you have to go with what works for you.
the flat cord is so nice that I wish more companies would use it. I just got my jays today. for me the sound is great but I only listen to audio books so it is not critical.
I found finding the center button is not as easy as it should be. but it is easy to fix clean the button with alcohol and use some of the puffy fabric paint walmart sells for 1.00 they were out of black so I used yellow. dries overnight and it is great for marking things with texture. I learned this from my blind wife.
photo-25.jpg

runlsd

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 17, 2009
I found finding the center button is not as easy as it should be. but it is easy to fix clean the button with alcohol and use some of the puffy fabric paint walmart sells for 1.00 they were out of black so I used yellow. dries overnight and it is great for marking things with texture. I learned this from my blind wife.

That's a good idea. I'm glad I'm not the only person who found that to be true.

slink01

macrumors newbie
Feb 27, 2011
I've just bought some A-Jays Four, after using a pair of Etymotic HF2s which, while they sounded great, unfortunately broke after a couple of months. I thought the Fours would be a better choice for my normal usage, which is when out walking and on the tube using my iPhone - I think i need something more robust and didn't want to spend a fortune for in-ears that i would only be using with an mp3 player. I used Comply tips with my Etymotics but need to buy new ones for my Fours (which as you pointed out, do not come with great tips at all). Did you order the T-200 tips? Comply states that these fit the A-Jay Threes and from what I can gather these are similar to the Fours...

runlsd

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 17, 2009
I've just bought some A-Jays Four, after using a pair of Etymotic HF2s which, while they sounded great, unfortunately broke after a couple of months. I thought the Fours would be a better choice for my normal usage, which is when out walking and on the tube using my iPhone - I think i need something more robust and didn't want to spend a fortune for in-ears that i would only be using with an mp3 player. I used Comply tips with my Etymotics but need to buy new ones for my Fours (which as you pointed out, do not come with great tips at all). Did you order the T-200 tips? Comply states that these fit the A-Jay Threes and from what I can gather these are similar to the Fours...

That's unfortunate. What kind of warranty do we have on A-Jays?

I did order the Tx-200 foam tips and also Tx-400 (or 500? can't remembeR) for Beats Tour. Still waiting for them though. I would imagine they would give me better fit and noise isolation which I do want in the lab.

Etymotic is a great brand, isn't it? Still miss the ER6 from time to time. They were a little bit flimsy with the thin cord but still withstood my use and abuse for 3+ years.

steve knight

macrumors 68030
Jan 28, 2009
did you get the tips for the a jays 4? I emailed them and they don't recommend any because they have not tested them out.

runlsd

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 17, 2009
did you get the tips for the a jays 4? I emailed them and they don't recommend any because they have not tested them out.

I got the Comply tips for both Beats and A-Jays 4's. They noticeably improved noise isolation as expected. The A-Jays 4's simply didn't reach deep enough to achieve that good fit required for isolation and now they belong to my sister.

Must say, foam tips help me enjoy music much more. It's almost like getting a new set of earphones. Recommended.

Scottiemac11

macrumors newbie
Mar 20, 2011
Warranty

That's unfortunate. What kind of warranty do we have on A-Jays?

I did order the Tx-200 foam tips and also Tx-400 (or 500? can't remembeR) for Beats Tour. Still waiting for them though. I would imagine they would give me better fit and noise isolation which I do want in the lab.

Etymotic is a great brand, isn't it? Still miss the ER6 from time to time. They were a little bit flimsy with the thin cord but still withstood my use and abuse for 3+ years.

Warranty is a world wide 24 months.
Perfect :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.