Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

obargy

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 6, 2016
🇨🇦
Got my BeatsX early this morning. Satisfied with almost everything so far, except for a little issue I found in iOS10 ...

For those who use BeatsX with iOS10 devices, have you guys noticed that the headphone icon at the top right corner doesn't show the battery status of BeatsX? Normally, there should be a little battery icon stand just beside the headphone icon showing the battery status of the wireless headphone you are using.

Here I show the comparison between my BeatsX and Powerbeats2, notice the icon on the top right corner:
IMG_2025.PNG
IMG_2023.PNG

Last edited:

daijholt

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2013
Wales, UK
I'm so confused... Why they choose to hide that little battery icon for new Beats headphones... It's so convenient to know about the battery level
It's gone because it isn't necessary. It shows in the battery widget instead. Doesn't need to be in 2 places. The reason the Powerbeats 2 still do it is because they did before the battery widget became a thing, and they haven't updated the Powerbeats software in forever.

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
since this is working on your powerbeats 2 and it doesn't work on the beatsX or airpods sounds like Apple got rid of it on the newer W1 chip headphones. anyone have the powerbeats3 that can report on their status?

TheRock88

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2009
since this is working on your powerbeats 2 and it doesn't work on the beatsX or airpods sounds like Apple got rid of it on the newer W1 chip headphones. anyone have the powerbeats3 that can report on their status?

Same as the other W1 chip devices, no battery indicator.

Peepo

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2009
It also shows percentage next to the name in the control centre audio selection.

I have other Bluetooth headphones which show that little icon meter and also in battery widget but it is not accurate - for example on non-w1 devices I see jump from 100% down to 80% and never anything in between whereas my beats x and solo 3 show exact numbers like 96%.

Reactions: tgara and obargy

daveishere

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2008
UK
Hmm I don't get the 'headphones' icon as with the AirPods, I just get a normal Bluetooth 'connected' symbol.

Also I've noticed that with the BeatsX, you have to turn the beats on then press 'connect' on the iPhone to connect the headphones (even though they already appear in Bluetooth), is this right?

edlex

macrumors 68020
Apr 14, 2010
Miami
Hmm I don't get the 'headphones' icon as with the AirPods, I just get a normal Bluetooth 'connected' symbol.

Also I've noticed that with the BeatsX, you have to turn the beats on then press 'connect' on the iPhone to connect the headphones (even though they already appear in Bluetooth), is this right?

The BeatsX will automatically reconnect to the last device it was connected to. If you want to switch to another device you have to choose it in control panel.

Magsdizz

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2016

I got confused by this too. Instructions are to push and hold the button for 1 second to turn off or on. If you hold for longer, the headphones will cycle into a pairing state again, which is why you're being asked to connect every time. Just hold for a second and you'll hear the on/off chime and you're good to go.

djroyst

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2017
I know it's in the widget screen but I do prefer it up top. It should at least be an option.

You can also say "Hey Siri" if you have it enabled and ask Siri "What is the battery level for my BeatsX" and he (I have mine set for an Australian male) will respond and tell you your battery level. This also may depend on what version of iOS you are using but I've had mine since 10.3.3 and an iPhone 6 and this has worked just fine.

Hope this helps

Damian

coffeemadmanUK

macrumors 6502a
Jan 30, 2012
United Kingdom
You can also say "Hey Siri" if you have it enabled and ask Siri "What is the battery level for my BeatsX" and he (I have mine set for an Australian male) will respond and tell you your battery level. This also may depend on what version of iOS you are using but I've had mine since 10.3.3 and an iPhone 6 and this has worked just fine.

Hope this helps

Damian

Haha I know and appreciate the help, but I can't see myself asking my phone in public what battery level it's at...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.