Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rendez2k

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2008
Looks good! Any plans to add Facebook chat support like digsby on the PC/Mac? I don't think any of the other iPhone IM's support it?

jaseone

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 7, 2004
Houston, USA
Looks good! Any plans to add Facebook chat support like digsby on the PC/Mac? I don't think any of the other iPhone IM's support it!
I'm not the developer, was just checking their blog for an update and stumbled upon that so posted it here as I know there is a large amount of interest for it. However I did see on their forums that they do plan to add Facebook IM support at some time but their focus is the iPhone native client and their WM application right now.

slapppy

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2008
Now this one is promising. Even when PUSH notification is not available right now ( coming soon from Apple ) this app will still do with it's proposed workaround. It will require MobileMe or Exchange/ActiveSync.. but for those without it, PUSH Notification will here this month. Well as long as Apple doesn't blow it and delays it again.

"Be connected even after you close the application. Get notified instantly when you get a new message (requires with MobileMe or Exchange/ActiveSync push email)."

Rojo

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2006
Barcelona
However I did see on their forums that they do plan to add Facebook IM support at some time

Facebook IM support would seriously rock. You think there's any chance they could make it work better than Facebook chat online? (Which sucks) :D

Interesting that they don't list any pricing info. That makes me think it's on the pricier side (like BeeJive on other platforms) -- otherwise they would have announced that too, if it was cheap. But hey, if it REALLY works likes it's supposed to, and is super reliable and non-buggy (***coughmobilechatcough***), it will be more than worth it. Palringo's been a decent stopgap so far, but I'm looking forward to something that's even easier and more powerful to use, a better GUI, and won't kick me off so much...

jaseone

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 7, 2004
Houston, USA
It would be rather humorous if the Beejive IM app appeared in the app store before MobileChat 3.1...

diesel

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2007
awesome, i can't wait for beejive. i've removed mobilechat from my iphone and alternate between beejive web app and palringo. ridiculous that a web app could be better than a native app, but well mobilechat defines what is ridiculous

domness

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2008
Sheffield, UK
I really can't wait for this app now! The features that it includes is amazing! :D

However, it just makes me feel how much of a waste the money for MobileChat was. I may aswell have bought a Torch for my iPhone.

andreab35

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2008
USA
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

Man I can't wait! I love using BeeJive on my iPhone in Safari!
I bet the app will be just as great!
I'm hoping it's better than AIM :)

Cannons

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2007
$16?
Ok, if it's anywhere as solid as the webapp then this may be worth it.
With a price tag like that they're giving the MobileChat upgrade a chance.

tongteh

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2008
I am ready to hear another excuses from MobileChat if it gets rejected again... eg: oh it's because apple misinterpreted us for this function OR it's because there are some minor part of our application that is not properly furnished!!

if their 3.1 gets rejected again, god knows what sort of excuses will they have this time... but what i am sure is that i will be asking for a refund, if beejive were to release their application first or if 3.1 doesn't solve any of the current problem.. I have completely lost hope in MobileChat's Developer, they are pretty much hopeless...

TopToffee

macrumors 65816
Jul 9, 2008
I really like the look of the Beejive app, but $16 is a ridiculous price point. I understand that the BB app is around the same pricepoint, but BB apps are in general more expensive I believe. The market has decided that, and the market will also (imho) kill off Beejibe on the iPhone, or at least prevent it from being all that successful, if it stays at a $16 pricetag.

People just won't (rightly or wrongly) download and pay $16 for an app when there are free and/or vastly cheaper alternatives, even if these alternatives aren't QUITE as good.

iSaga

macrumors regular
May 25, 2008
$16 for an app that Palringo gives you for free? I find it hard to believe that it is $16 better then Palringo? What is different about it?

Rojo

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2006
Barcelona
I would be very surprised if it stays at $16. Since I'm not super desperate for an IM client (and Palringo is getting me by so far), I'll wait for the inevitable price drop. Hopefully it drops a LOT, though if it's amazing I'll happily get it at $9.99 at the most. Anything more, and I'll be ok sticking with the inferior Palringo for now. It's just an IM client, after all...

There's no way I'll ever support the unreliable MobileChat. It's beyond a joke at this point.

EvanLugh

macrumors 68000
Aug 29, 2007
Developer land
I guess no-one has tried eBuddy web-client? It's superbly good.
iphone.jpg

When I get home, i'll show some screenshots. It's just like a native app - and you can surf macrumors while you're at it..
Oh and no need to enter username and password everytime you go to ebuddy.com, it automatically logs in immediatly.

bbplayer5

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2007
I guess no-one has tried eBuddy web-client? It's superbly good.
iphone.jpg

When I get home, i'll show some screenshots. It's just like a native app - and you can surf macrumors while you're at it..
Oh and no need to enter username and password everytime you go to ebuddy.com, it automatically logs in immediatly.

Web clients suck. No sounds or other features.

scott99

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2007
$16 for an app that Palringo gives you for free? I find it hard to believe that it is $16 better then Palringo? What is different about it?

I agree, what is better about Beejive that is worth $16 ? I have no problems with Palringo, in fact I like it a lot. I work during the day, so I don't need my IM's running in the backround. I check it when I'm on a train or something, so Palringo does quite well. I too was suckered in by Mobilchat.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.