Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 8, 2012
Earth
Aside from my Galaxy S7 edge, I've pretty much have been using pixel devices. Mostly the reasoning was because I like to tinker and didn't really like the fact I can't with most other devices, not to mention the additional bloat ware that comes pre installed on most devices that's pretty much baked into the devices at almost ROM level. Anyway, I've been wanting to try something a bit different and new and lately I've been rubbernecking the note 10+ since announcement but couldn't bring myself to spend the copious amounts of cash for something I was unsure about.

I've also looked at the S10 line, even the note 9 and not only that, been browsing and thinking of going to Amazon and import the exynos model so I'd have access to unlocking the bootloader, and I almost ordered the note 10+ but couldn't quite do it either, still a bit of cash for an experiment and to get back into the Samsung ecosystem, and I was not sure if I'd be able to access the play store and my previously purchased apps and such. I also figured the thing would most likely be used as a pocket tablet.

Browsing Amazon, I seen they where offering a deal on this, so I went for it. Having some issues with my current pocket tablet, the pixel 3 XL kind of pushed me into wanting to try something a bit new and different.

Didn't really see myself jumping back into Samsung but I thought this would be a decent pixel 3 and pixel book replacement (that I haven't used in a long while)

So yeah, here it is, an actual Samsung purchase :oops:

I probably will unlock the bootloader since it's fresh, but not sure about root, may just leave it as is as a mostly media consumption device with a little weather when I want a larger radar view and some Twitter stuff.

IMG_20191211_211909-01.jpeg

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012
Aside from my Galaxy S7 edge, I've pretty much have been using pixel devices. Mostly the reasoning was because I like to tinker and didn't really like the fact I can't with most other devices, not to mention the additional bloat ware that comes pre installed on most devices that's pretty much baked into the devices at almost ROM level. Anyway, I've been wanting to try something a bit different and new and lately I've been rubbernecking the note 10+ since announcement but couldn't bring myself to spend the copious amounts of cash for something I was unsure about.

I've also looked at the S10 line, even the note 9 and not only that, been browsing and thinking of going to Amazon and import the exynos model so I'd have access to unlocking the bootloader, and I almost ordered the note 10+ but couldn't quite do it either, still a bit of cash for an experiment and to get back into the Samsung ecosystem, and I was not sure if I'd be able to access the play store and my previously purchased apps and such. I also figured the thing would most likely be used as a pocket tablet.

Browsing Amazon, I seen they where offering a deal on this, so I went for it. Having some issues with my current pocket tablet, the pixel 3 XL kind of pushed me into wanting to try something a bit new and different.

Didn't really see myself jumping back into Samsung but I thought this would be a decent pixel 3 and pixel book replacement (that I haven't used in a long while)

So yeah, here it is, an actual Samsung purchase :oops:

I probably will unlock the bootloader since it's fresh, but not sure about root, may just leave it as is as a mostly media consumption device with a little weather when I want a larger radar view and some Twitter stuff.

View attachment 882274
Oooh nice one. I had my eyes all over that thing recently, finally chose the iPad Pro but I really wanted that glorious AMOLED of the S6. Pen included wouldn't have hurt either.

Would love to hear how it works out for you. Now that the Note 10 Lite has appeared on the radar I'm having all sorts of fantasies about shedding some of my Apple gear and pocketing a bit of the cash while transferring to Android stuff. The grass is always greener and all that but who knows...

Anyway congrats on your purchase, that looks like a sweet beast.

Reactions: 5105973

Awesomesince86

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2016
It looks like a great device, but personally I don’t understand getting an android tablet unless it’s purely for media consumption (which is sounds like it is for you so it’s perfect). But for anyone that aims to do more with a tablet it’s just seems lacking compared to iPad, Surface, or even Chromebooks.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
It looks like a great device, but personally I don’t understand getting an android tablet unless it’s purely for media consumption (which is sounds like it is for you so it’s perfect). But for anyone that aims to do more with a tablet it’s just seems lacking compared to iPad, Surface, or even Chromebooks.
It depends upon what non-consumption tasks one needs to perform. Every modern Android tablet (even the locked down Amazon Fire HD 10) is more capable than an iPad Pro. Full support for Mice/trackpads, near-full support for USB peripherals, a true system-wide accessible file system, and support for extended displays. There's more, but I think you get the point.

Reactions: djas and 5105973

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
It depends upon what non-consumption tasks one needs to perform. Every modern Android tablet (even the locked down Amazon Fire HD 10) is more capable than an iPad Pro. Full support for Mice/trackpads, near-full support for USB peripherals, a true system-wide accessible file system, and support for extended displays. There's more, but I think you get the point.

“More” capable? That’s iffy. There’s pros and cons for both platforms. Android gives you flexibility in a open platform however there’s not much dev support in terms of apps.

Arguments can be made on both ends. But Apple is slowly but surely closing the gap in terms of flexibility.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
“More” capable? That’s iffy. There’s pros and cons for both platforms. Android gives you flexibility in a open platform however there’s not much dev support in terms of apps.

Arguments can be made on both ends. But Apple is slowly but surely closing the gap in terms of flexibility.
There is no doubt that, at this point in time, Android is more flexible and open than iPadOS. Does everyone need that openness? No. For those that DO, ipadOS is not an option. Except for those tasks that depend upon Apple-exclusives, there are Android versions of many of the commonly used apps.... there continues to be an "app gap" but that has been quickly closing... it started shortly after Chromebooks began fully supporting Android apps.

I heavily use both Android and iOS-based devices... and for productivity, I'm finding that Apple's glacial pace at working to close the gap is being outpaced by the pace of apps being released to narrow the Android app gap.

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
I'd like to hear him explain rather than just repeating FUD that he hears because iPad is the most lacking of the four mentioned.

If I could only carry one device I'd take Surface with multi-boot Windows/Linux > Chromebook > Android Tablet > iPad. Everything to the left is a superset of the right.

iOS/iPadOS is oppressive and even if you fully paid for your device it's just on lease from Apple since they dictate what you can/can't run such as no Kodi, emulators, torrent clients, etc. Also, the way Apple bundles core apps with iOS updates once your device stops getting updates it's useless since apps like Safari doesn't get updated and you won't be able to browse secure sites that require updated browsers which is a rather non-issue with Android since core apps can still be updated via Google Play Store and better backwards compatibility with older Android OS. And, feature wise iPadOS is just barely catching up to what Android has had for ages such as mouse support, external storage (>4GB file support broken on iPadOS), non-proprietary game controller, etc. but still no background multitasking support.

Last edited:

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
There is no doubt that, at this point in time, Android is more flexible and open than iPadOS. Does everyone need that openness? No. For those that DO, ipadOS is not an option. Except for those tasks that depend upon Apple-exclusives, there are Android versions of many of the commonly used apps.... there continues to be an "app gap" but that has been quickly closing... it started shortly after Chromebooks began fully supporting Android apps.

I heavily use both Android and iOS-based devices... and for productivity, I'm finding that Apple's glacial pace at working to close the gap is being outpaced by the pace of apps being released to narrow the Android app gap.

I've used Chromebooks a few times, even had an Android tablet. Maybe I'm biased... but in terms of productivity. I favor iPadOS... mainly for the Apple-exclusives. And I believe, that's enough for most people to choose iPadOS as their platform of choice over a Chromebook or Android tablet.

And in terms of tablet Android apps. There is no doubt that, at this point in time, there is no competition against iPadOS. But to each their own, it really comes down to preferences.

Awesomesince86

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2016

That’s a typical android vs iOS comparison where android is clearly superior. However all those open benefits are crippled by the fact that android devs don’t develop apps specifically for tablets because it’s a dead market. Meanwhile, iPad OS has tons of support. There are trade offs to both. Personally, if productivity is the priority than a Surface device is probably the way to go.

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 8, 2012
Earth
I'm confused by all the iPad chatter :confused:

Anyway the thing is still sitting in the box until I can read up on properly unlocking it's bootloader, root may be a non starter since it looks to be more of a pita to maintain and greater possibility for bricking and not only that, seems like windows might be a requirement to do so. Bummer.

This tablet is an experiment for me, to see how Samsung has changed the last time I was really into it. To give me something larger to view media on, that may allow greater possibility for tinkering should I go that route, custom roms? Could be. To have something different than my pretty much pixel bias, in short, I'm kinda bored with pixels. I thought the tab on sale was a good entry point before dropping a grand on a locked or potentially imported device I wasn't sure about ?

Awesomesince86

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2016
I'm confused by all the iPad chatter :confused:

Anyway the thing is still sitting in the box until I can read up on properly unlocking it's bootloader, root may be a non starter since it looks to be more of a pita to maintain and greater possibility for bricking and not only that, seems like windows might be a requirement to do so. Bummer.

This tablet is an experiment for me, to see how Samsung has changed the last time I was really into it. To give me something larger to view media on, that may allow greater possibility for tinkering should I go that route, custom roms? Could be. To have something different than my pretty much pixel bias, in short, I'm kinda bored with pixels. I thought the tab on sale was a good entry point before dropping a grand on a locked or potentially imported device I wasn't sure about ?

It shouldn’t be hard to maintain root. The only issue with root is updating and honestly, you probably won’t be getting very frequent updates with a Samsung tablet. So you should be fine.

But honestly, and this is just me, I haven’t felt the need to root in a very long time. Custom roms and kernels used to be great when android wasn’t aesthetically pleasing and was missing a lot of features. But now, custom roms are just buggier versions of official versions. The only real reason to root nowadays is systemwide ad blocking.

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 8, 2012
Earth
It shouldn’t be hard to maintain root. The only issue with root is updating and honestly, you probably won’t be getting very frequent updates with a Samsung tablet. So you should be fine.

But honestly, and this is just me, I haven’t felt the need to root in a very long time. Custom roms and kernels used to be great when android wasn’t aesthetically pleasing and was missing a lot of features. But now, custom roms are just buggier versions of official versions. The only real reason to root nowadays is systemwide ad blocking.

The slow updates are a good point ? I actually don't think I want Android 10 since it's changed so much (mostly due to reasons pertaining to root). It's been a long time since since I rooted, think the last Samsung device I rooted was the note 4?

I figure being at work will allow me to study if I go down this rabbit hole.

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 8, 2012
Earth
From what I can tell, I shouldn't need a computer to unlock bootloader if I read things right? However to progress further, it does look like I'll need a PC to push the patched boot image via Odin to do so.

Also looks like I'll need to wipe the thing 3 times.

Ugh I get off work late tonight, so not sure if I'll be able to get to it. I at least want to unlock the bootloader.

Awesomesince86

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2016
From what I can tell, I shouldn't need a computer to unlock bootloader if I read things right? However to progress further, it does look like I'll need a PC to push the patched boot image via Odin to do so.

Also looks like I'll need to wipe the thing 3 times.

Ugh I get off work late tonight, so not sure if I'll be able to get to it. I at least want to unlock the bootloader.

Unless things have changed, you typically need a PC to unlock the bootloader. The Bootloader requires a fastboot command to unlock unless a tool has been developed since the last time I messed around with rooting.

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 8, 2012
Earth
Unless things have changed, you typically need a PC to unlock the bootloader. The Bootloader requires a fastboot command to unlock unless a tool has been developed since the last time I messed around with rooting.

By PC I thought I put windows in there lol. I've managed to root my pixels with Manjaro Linux but seems Odin only runs on windows I believe. There is a 3rd party called heimdall but know very little about it, if it's still maintained and so forth.

Edit:

Yup, looks like I'll have to plug the thing into a PC (Linux box might work but doubt it) which means I'll have to boot up windows and install a bunch of updates drivers and other stuff I'm sure...

On the other hand, a quicky set up, the screen is very nice so far, despite having tons of bloat ware, things do look organized somewhat. Pulled up a quick video through Sammy browser and looked alright.

The device is thin and slippery and with somewhat thin bezels all around somewhat prone to false touches. Also lightweight.

I did find myself a bit lost, holding power button just brings up bixby, navigation around settings is a bit awkward.

Honestly, I'm actually wondering if I should just not go through with root. At least the bootloader, but I'm wondering about that also. For now since it was a late work day, I turned it back off once I figured that out and put it back in the box until I'm more awake for it.

It's weird having a Samsung device... :oops:

Edit 2
Out of the box and bootloader unlocked, took a couple of tries. I kind of goofed and will probably have to wipe the device once again, while going through the quicky set up, I didn't install any of the Samsung apps thinking I would need to wipe again after vault keeper, but I miss read the wipe would be once I rooted so...

Probably putting it up for the night, maybe another wipe.

Unsure on rooting

Edit 3
Ugh, I'm still playing with it! Typing on it is a bit awkward ok, more than a bit, it's too heavy in portrait mode, using it now. Not rooted! Tried using nova launcher it didn't work, just overlaid it on top of one ui (1.5). Might tinker a bit more. So far a nice new toy! :)

Last edited:

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 8, 2012
Earth
Really glad I didn't import a note or exynos device... This will probably be the last Samsung device I'll get, actually to the point I'm about to dump whatever this is all together, the hobby, mobile tech, whichever... It's becoming a pointless fruitless and convoluted effort and I think one reason is for a deterrent seeing as the circular hoops I needed to jump through just to become an exclusive member to download the required (and I'm not even sure if it's the right one at that!) Firmware for the device at, lets see, currently reading 1 day, 6 hours left... Or I can pay for a slightly faster speed bump. Uh, yeah no, not running my credit card through for that, for the convoluted tail chasing I need to do and high potential for a brick and will need to set through the process once again...

No wonder devs abandoned developing ROMs and the like for these devices.

Sigh. I knew better, or at least I thought I did. I guess it serves me right to want to modify a device that I don't really own.

I just cancelled the download. I give up.

I'm almost tempted to reset the device and give it to my mom. I'm not going to send it back as I idiotically bought the thing and now upset because I want to use it for something not intended to be used for.

For now, I'll back burner the idea of rooting.

:confused:

Edit:

Maybe all this fussing and pita slow downloads and other frustrating stuff that needs done for attempting to root is just things telling me to just use the device as is, who knows, I might like it.

Last edited:

Klyster

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2013
If it's any consolation, I have an exynos Tab S4, as a media device, it is great, I can only imagine the S6 would be heaps better.
I don't bother with bootloaders and such but for media consumption, I love my mini OLED TV.

Reactions: slitherjef

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 8, 2012
Earth
So, either persistence pays off, I'm stubborn, I'm crazy, but after pulling my hair out, some profanity, more digging and research, a bunch of reboots, some warnings upon boot about my boot loader being unlocked and unofficial software, I some how managed to stumble my way into rooting this thing :oops::rolleyes: (at least the last I checked)

Using it right now. Still awkward to type on. Device feels a bit less shackled and more approachable.

Still it seemed more involved than rooting a pixel.

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 8, 2012
Earth
Bit of a minor update on this little experiment, I ended up grabbing a cheapo (read "inexpensive") book cover type case for it, I found the tab a bit too thin almost and slippery and wanted a bit more grip and protection for it. I found the case for about 16 bucks on Amazon, it's an infiland which I hadn't heard of. I think it does what it's intended to do.

Other preliminary thoughts on the tablet? Screen looks nice and bright, have it about 50% give or take. I do notice while scrolling a bit of a "wobble" like one side of the screen move just a hair faster than the other side, I do wonder if it's just an OLED thing. It's not really bothersome, just something I noticed.

The pen? Yeah, they needed a better solution, it nags some when the pen is not connected, has a little icon (which can be moved around and I think trashed if needed) it is very easy to knock the pen off with it's 1" magnetic connector that's way off center. Currently the pen is sitting on my table. I haven't used it. It might work better know that I got a case.

I haven't dug much into the apps or other aspects of the device yet, I mostly been using it as a YouTube player and some light Twitter.

I don't reach for it all the time.

Battery life so far seems fair, it'll charge from the teens almost faster than my pixel 2 XL!? o_O but I think Sammy has some good fast charging standards.

Haven't tried typing on it much as without the case it was a bit awkward, maybe the case will help.

Sound quality seems decent, haven't played music yet or used headphones.

Having root on this tablet, kind of changes things for me. It gives me options and allows me some control, makes the tablet more mine, if that makes sense. I wouldn't mind trying a legit custom rom on the thing eventually.

So far I haven't opened up titanium backup and put the freeze on some apps, it's pretty much stock.

It'll be a bit before I do a real "review" if I ever do, but so far so good.

I think in some aspects, I miss using a Samsung device as a daily driver. :oops:

Healer Flame

macrumors 68000
Feb 1, 2019
The first Samsung tab S turned me off from buying android tablets. It has discoloration and other problems.
Enjoying ipaid air2 at the moment, what a great machine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.