Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The point and shoot pro

Suspended
Original poster
Apr 12, 2023
I have had my Moto G 5g with me for the past few days at work for when it was slow. I don't have my sim in it or anything, but just tethered to my iPhone's hotspot. You know what? It's a decent experience. It's plenty fast for doing phone things with. The screen is nice, 90hz makes it snappy, and the expandable storage makes it upgradable for lots of stuff.

Customizing is so easy. Just pop on a launcher (I use Microsoft launcher), download an icon pack and DONE. No creating shortcuts, etc. widgets are much better on android, and overall the experience with the OS is....dare I say it, more polished than my iPhone at this point. I think that is because iOS is SO FREAKING BORING right now. I only take out my iPhone to message my wife or kids, and then put it away. I constantly have my Moto in my hand using it to do things, check stuff etc. Because it's fun and exciting to use.

The camera, while not as good as the iPhone, can hold it's one in Hi Res (50mp) mode. If I port Gcam to it, I think it would produce really acceptable results. I have not tried video with it yet. All in all for a 400 dollar CDN phone, it's a great deal for a great phone for most users.

coffeemilktea

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2022
Android phones, especially new Android phones, are a lot of fun.

The problem comes when they start to get old, and you have to worry about not getting software updates. Or if it's your ONLY phone, and you start worrying about being locked out of the Apple ecosystem (imagine someone asking you to AirDrop them one of your 50 MP shots 😅).

But if you've got a new(ish) Android phone and it's just a secondary device? You're in for a fun time. 😎

The point and shoot pro

Suspended
Original poster
Apr 12, 2023
Android phones, especially new Android phones, are a lot of fun.

The problem comes when they start to get old, and you have to worry about not getting software updates. Or if it's your ONLY phone, and you start worrying about being locked out of the Apple ecosystem (imagine someone asking you to AirDrop them one of your 50 MP shots 😅).

But if you've got a new(ish) Android phone and it's just a secondary device? You're in for a fun time. 😎
I don't care about the walled garden ecosystem. We are not a subscriber to that as we use everything.

Reactions: Technerd108

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
While I will not argue your experience. I am sure it is a decent phone now.

As others have said Lenovo has had a detrimental affect on Motorola software support. They generally in the past gave only one or two major OS upgrades and two years of security patches. The updates were slow and sometimes quarterly and sometimes much later. Certainly not monthly.

It is unfortunate because the hardware is decent and I even prefer LCD screens to OLED in some cases.

The use of Mediatech processors is another problem. They are okay but everything is proprietary and locked down. The tech on low cost phones is generally pretty old and poor in performance and battery life which is why a lot of the budget phones use huge batteries but still don't last long if you do anything intensive.

Cameras on these type of phones are generally bad to just barely acceptable but they will have high megapixel counts to say they are good. Poor post processing as well.

I would rather buy a Samsung a series phone as Samsung is stepping up software support for all of their new devices lately and you can trust the hardware.

I would also rather get a Pixel 6a as there are a ton of deals, a Pixel 7 on sale or the upcoming Pixel 7a. All will be supported, have excellent cameras, decent specs and performance for the cost.

The point and shoot pro

Suspended
Original poster
Apr 12, 2023
While I will not argue your experience. I am sure it is a decent phone now.

As others have said Lenovo has had a detrimental affect on Motorola software support. They generally in the past gave only one or two major OS upgrades and two years of security patches. The updates were slow and sometimes quarterly and sometimes much later. Certainly not monthly.

It is unfortunate because the hardware is decent and I even prefer LCD screens to OLED in some cases.

The use of Mediatech processors is another problem. They are okay but everything is proprietary and locked down. The tech on low cost phones is generally pretty old and poor in performance and battery life which is why a lot of the budget phones use huge batteries but still don't last long if you do anything intensive.

Cameras on these type of phones are generally bad to just barely acceptable but they will have high megapixel counts to say they are good. Poor post processing as well.

I would rather buy a Samsung a series phone as Samsung is stepping up software support for all of their new devices lately and you can trust the hardware.

I would also rather get a Pixel 6a as there are a ton of deals, a Pixel 7 on sale or the upcoming Pixel 7a. All will be supported, have excellent cameras, decent specs and performance for the cost.
I agree on the Samsung and pixel choices one hundred percent. But the ones that are similar to the Motorola are 200 dollars more here. Both the A53 and 6a are 690 dollars, where as the g 5g is 400 bucks. I do agree on the software updates from Lenovo as well. But guess what, 90% of their intended user base (basic general users), don't care. As long as it works and works good. This phone does work, and it does work good. Cameras are quite good...better than you describe if you have never used it, screen is quite good as well, te hoverall operation of the OS is smooth and snappy, and the battery life is much better than my iPhone 13.

For a budget choice, it, or even the G power are great phones. Samsungs A03, NOT so much. It's slow, janky and cameras are poor.

Reactions: Technerd108
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.