Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jgelin

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 30, 2015
St Petersburg, FL
Hello All,
I have recently endeavored to take apart my Late 2013 iMac and upgrade the RAM and the HDD to an SSD. I have gotten all of the pieces out and then put it back together. When I put it back together on power the machine just beeps once, then 5-6 seconds pass, then it will beep again. It does not seem to be getting through POST to boot. Please, any advice would be of most help, I am so frantic right now it is not even funny. I can try to put the old chips in there but the ones I have should be Mac compatible from PNY...

i don't know what I did wrong and now I feel terrible. :(

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
Make sure the RAM is seated correctly it can be a bit tiugh to get it right in the slots failing that put in the old RAM and see if it works if it does then it's your new RAM thats the issue for whatever reason. You could try one stick at a time you may just have a faulty stick of RAM.

Reactions: jgelin

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I can try to put the old chips in there but the ones I have should be Mac compatible from PNY...

The most obvious is the ram you are using is not functioning, whether its not seated correctly as Samuelsan2001 stated or incompatible or defective. Your best bet is to see if its seated, then remove one sim memory cards and replace it with an old one. See if boots up. Replace the the new memory card in the iMac with the recently pulled new memory, see if its boots. Then use your old memory.

Basically, work through identifying if one or the other new memory sim cards is causing the problem, if that's not successful, then replace the new ram with the old ram completely and reboot, then contact the retailer where you bought it

Reactions: jgelin

jgelin

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 30, 2015
St Petersburg, FL
Thank everyone for your help! I took it apart 2 times to see if the seating was the issue. I then decided to look up reviews for the RAM I bought from Best Buy. The reviews for it were one star for most Mac users, and I found the reason was even though it says it's Mac compatible it runs at 1.5volts instead of 1.35.
I went to my local computer store and got a G.Skill Ripjaw 16GB kit. Put it all together again without the screen. Got Mac sound and it's currently restoring from time machine!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.