Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

edwinedillonjr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Yeah I ordered my Panther, got my e-mail saying it's shipped. Whether it comes on thursday or friday doesn't concernt me. I waited this long, don't mind waiting another day or two. Besides, I plan on checking out the "Panther Party". Go Apple!

Anyhow, few questions.

1. Is the UTD version I'm getting in the mail a full version or an upgrade? I originally wanted to completely format my Al15 and start from scratch. Hopefully I don't have to load it on top of my existing.

Though I don't mind, the self-gratification of a BRAND SPANKING NEW OS is so great.

2. I used iBackup beta to backup all my stuff (2 dvd's worth), does panther have a final version of backup loaded already?

3. I unauthorized my music, then burned it. I'm assuming all I have to do is restore my music, and re-authorize. Correct?

Thanks, and peep that new Britney & Madonna video. Nice.

bcleland

macrumors member
Apr 10, 2003
Nashville, TN
I am pretty sure it is a full version.
What I am not sure is whether it is better to clean install or treat it as an update and just install as is.
Which would use less space?
Which will run more efficiently?
When I went from 10.1 to 10.2 I just installed it on top.
What to do?

fuge

macrumors member
Feb 18, 2002
Tacoma, WA
add a question

Can someone explain how to reformat and what steps one should take in backing up data? Does Panther install give these options?

psxndc

macrumors regular
May 30, 2002
really dumb question

Really dumb question: I have a partition for mp3/aac files that is full and a partition for everything else (which also has mp3s on it because the mp3 partition is full). If I sync my iPod to my iBook, format my drive, and then re-sync, wil the music go back up to my mac or will it get deleted off my ipod? Or could I just not sync and then copy all the files in tunes from the ipod to the mac?

-p

velkr0

macrumors newbie
i had the same question the other day... and then i started thinking... since the iPod only sync's one way (from computer to iPod) i accepted that i would lose my mp3's if i did a format and then an auto sync... so i did some research and found a script that allows you to view hidden files in finder.... (in other words, allows you to see and copy the mp3s from the iPod to the computer)... here is the applescript i use...

set onOff to do shell script "defaults read com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles"
if onOff = "NO" or onOff = "OFF" then
set newState to "show"
set OnOffCommand to "defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles ON"
else
set newState to "hide"
set OnOffCommand to "defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles OFF"
end if

display dialog "Are you sure you want to " & newState & " hidden files? (This will restart the Finder)" buttons {"Cancel", "OK"} default button 2
copy the result as list to {buttonPressed}
if the buttonPressed is "OK" then
try
tell application "Finder" to quit
do shell script OnOffCommand
delay 1
tell application "Finder" to launch
end try
end if

thanks to klktrk (found at: http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20030409015020645 )

i hope this works.. and i hope this answers your question...

Phil Of Mac

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2002
Washington State University
Re: Before Panther shows up... a few Q's

Originally posted by edwinedillonjr
1. Is the UTD version I'm getting in the mail a full version or an upgrade? I originally wanted to completely format my Al15 and start from scratch. Hopefully I don't have to load it on top of my existing.

It's a full version from everything I've read.

Originally posted by edwinedillonjr
3. I unauthorized my music, then burned it. I'm assuming all I have to do is restore my music, and re-authorize. Correct?

If you burn as a data CD, yes, absolutely.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.