Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bobjonesco

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 7, 2017
Perth
I've "upgraded" from a 16" MBP M1 Pro with 16GB RAM and 512 SSD to a 15" MacBook Air M2 with just 8GB RAM and 512 SSD.

If I had to believe 90% of people on here, my wallet would be $200 lighter due to a 16GB RAM upgrade.

I'm constantly running Safari with 3-5 tabs, Chrome with 5-10 tabs and 10 extensions, Spotify and / or Apple Music, Google Drive, Magnet, Discord, Apple Mail, Apple Notes, WhatsApp (universal), Transmission, 1Password, 6 desktop widgets, Numbers and Messages and I play the occasional Arcade game in between.

Dare I say the 8GB MacBook Air M2 feels snappier than my M1 Pro with 16GB and it hasn't skipped a beat? The only people complaining about 8GB are the ones who use video or photo editing software it seems.

(Ironically, MacRumors.com in Safari is using 1.20 GB of RAM according to Activity Monitor 😵

OldCorpse

macrumors 68000
Dec 7, 2005
compost heap
I'm sure you're correctly reporting on your experience and your use case. My needs do not differ substantially from what you describe. Nonetheless, I intend to purchase a 16/512 or even 16/1 version of the 15" MBA M2. The reason is simple - I tend to keep my computers for a long time, 5+ years at a minimum. In that scenario, while the 8/512 MBA may be perfectly fine for such tasks TODAY, and perhaps the next 2-3 years, I wonder whether that would be true longer term. The OS in not actually the only or biggest issue, since we know that Apple tends to support most hardware for at least 5 years or so, with security updates for some time after. My bigger consideration is with third party applications, what happens with their RAM needs in the future? Also, 5+ years is a long time in internet and computing - there may very likely spring new services that demand more than the rock bottom spec from 2023. And what if it happens that at some point, I may briefly, or not so briefly have a need for much greater power for some unexpected project and the 8GB transpires to be limiting - at that point I'd have to give up on the task or be forced to buy a new more powerful computer, rather dank, but hey if I have 16GB, it gives me that option - it's a bit of peace of mind that if an unexpected need arises, I'm covered.

So, going for the 16/512 or 16/1 is just a bit of insurance and mild future-proofing of a laptop I intend to keep longer term. In that light, the extra $200 spread over many years doesn't seem exorbitant for a bit of insurance, or at least peace of mind. Of course, that's just my opinion and YMMV.

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
I've "upgraded" from a 16" MBP M1 Pro with 16GB RAM and 512 SSD to a 15" MacBook Air M2 with just 8GB RAM and 512 SSD.

If I had to believe 90% of people on here, my wallet would be $200 lighter due to a 16GB RAM upgrade.

I'm constantly running Safari with 3-5 tabs, Chrome with 5-10 tabs and 10 extensions, Spotify and / or Apple Music, Google Drive, Magnet, Discord, Apple Mail, Apple Notes, WhatsApp (universal), Transmission, 1Password, 6 desktop widgets, Numbers and Messages and I play the occasional Arcade game in between.

Dare I say the 8GB MacBook Air M2 feels snappier than my M1 Pro with 16GB and it hasn't skipped a beat? The only people complaining about 8GB are the ones who use video or photo editing software it seems.

(Ironically, MacRumors.com in Safari is using 1.20 GB of RAM according to Activity Monitor 😵
If you believed some in here you couldn’t open up more than three tabs in Safari without 16 GB of RAM. Sure some need 16 or more GB but if you’re just browsing the web and doing light tasks it’s more than enough.

StoneJack

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2009
I think both points of view are correct, though I do not belong to the future insurance camp of 16 and more GB of RAM.
The reason is very simple. IF your current workflow is fine with 8GB of RAM (and mine is), even three years from now it probably won't be altered drastically. If it is, you may need altogether faster CPU, GPU or architecture. Therefore, it makes sense to 1. Use a basic configuration since it is fine for your needs. 2. THe basic configuration is also easier to resell and loses less value (I know because I had to sell MBA m1 16/512). 3. When software and OS require faster computing hardware, instead of relying on 4-5 year old CPU, easier to upgrade to the current basic configuration. 4. Back to the point 1. This has been my routine for last 12 years or so with Macs and in each case, I believe I had most efficient setup in terms of money spent on MOBILE computing (Read: always had basic configurations). For more challenging needs, I usually assemble a PC to serve for 3-5 years, right now since 2021 I have 32GB of RAM and Intel i9 10500 desktop with Sapphire RX6600XT for cases I need more power, but generally Macs, especially Apple silicon macs, are now rivaling or exceeding in performance the PCs in everything, maybe except games and apps where you have to use Nvidia's newest GPUs and CUDA. I guess from M4 or M5 the basic configuration may have 16GB of RAM, so that will be even more efficient to buy that basic configuration then.

peneaux

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2020
Point is RAM is cheap. To charge extra $200 for another 8GB is shameful. Also the SSD is slower than M1. You have to pay extra to get the same speed. I’m fine with 256GB since I can use an external HD to backup stuff. But now the laptop you can buy from $900 goes to $1600.

Is the MacBook Air M3 going to be another downgrade?

dizmonk

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2010
I'm sure you're correctly reporting on your experience and your use case. My needs do not differ substantially from what you describe. Nonetheless, I intend to purchase a 16/512 or even 16/1 version of the 15" MBA M2. The reason is simple - I tend to keep my computers for a long time, 5+ years at a minimum. In that scenario, while the 8/512 MBA may be perfectly fine for such tasks TODAY, and perhaps the next 2-3 years, I wonder whether that would be true longer term. The OS in not actually the only or biggest issue, since we know that Apple tends to support most hardware for at least 5 years or so, with security updates for some time after. My bigger consideration is with third party applications, what happens with their RAM needs in the future? Also, 5+ years is a long time in internet and computing - there may very likely spring new services that demand more than the rock bottom spec from 2023. And what if it happens that at some point, I may briefly, or not so briefly have a need for much greater power for some unexpected project and the 8GB transpires to be limiting - at that point I'd have to give up on the task or be forced to buy a new more powerful computer, rather dank, but hey if I have 16GB, it gives me that option - it's a bit of peace of mind that if an unexpected need arises, I'm covered.

So, going for the 16/512 or 16/1 is just a bit of insurance and mild future-proofing of a laptop I intend to keep longer term. In that light, the extra $200 spread over many years doesn't seem exorbitant for a bit of insurance, or at least peace of mind. Of course, that's just my opinion and YMMV.
I went with the 16gb/1tb m2 and it's fine. If the new m3 MBP base had come with 16 GB I would have gone with that but Apple has become very, very good at staggering/manipulating price points. Some video editing can be done with the MBA but I generally agree with a little future-proofing.

Reactions: bobjonesco

CheMillan

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2015
Los Angeles
I have two M1 Macs that I use everyday: MacBook Air with 1TB SSD 8gb memory and Mac mini with 1TB SSD 16gb memory. Both are running the same macOS and the same apps. I do audio, video, and photo editing on both Macs and haven’t noticed any difference in speed or performance using the MBA [8gb memory] or the Mac mini [16gb memory].

JamesMay82

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2009
I disagree. While my base M1 Air runs fine, If I open activity monitor it tells a different story.

I have outlook, messages, excel, teams, Skype, safari with 2 MR tabs and it's showing yellow memory pressure and 6.8 gigs used. I have 300MB swap used.

I now just opened 5 more tabs and memory usage went to 7.5 and swap of 1.6GB

To me this is very basic usage of an office worker and it technically is being pushed to the limits. if I was to open a 4k video I've recorded from my photos app It would struggle or if I used iMovie.

so for me if I was buying personally or for my own business I'd be increasing the ram to a minimum of 16GB. purely for future proofing as these machines have the ability to last 10 years.

Cancelled
Jun 16, 2022
While my base M1 Air runs fine, If I open activity monitor it tells a different story.

Nothing sums up these multiple discussions in this forum – and elsewhere in the web – than this sentence.

If your base M1 Air runs fine with its 8GB of AM, then it runs fine. Why care about the memory swap if it doesn't influence the experience you have with your device? Apple Silicon is designed to work that way.

StoneJack

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2009
I disagree. While my base M1 Air runs fine, If I open activity monitor it tells a different story.

I have outlook, messages, excel, teams, Skype, safari with 2 MR tabs and it's showing yellow memory pressure and 6.8 gigs used. I have 300MB swap used.

To me this is very basic usage of an office worker and it technically is being pushed to the limits. if I was to open a 4k video I've recorded from my photos app It would struggle or if I used iMovie.

so for me if I was buying personally or for my own business I'd be increasing the ram to a minimum of 16GB. purely for future proofing as these machines have the ability to last 10 years.
if it runs fine, why you need to open Activity monitor?

JamesMay82

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2009
Nothing sums up these multiple discussions in this forum – and elsewhere in the web – than this sentence.

If your base M1 Air runs fine with its 8GB of AM, then it runs fine. Why care about the memory swap if it doesn't influence the experience you have with your device? Apple Silicon is designed to work that way.
I understand but my point is that to me its on the edge with yellow memory pressure on basic tasks. If I wanted to fire up iMovie or Final Cut I'd most likely have to close down some apps. plus I'd want my machine to last at least 7 years. My entry 2015 MacBook Pro came with 16 gig. I just can't see 8 gig being able to cope in 5-7 years time.

Reactions: Shirasaki and R3k

Cancelled
Jun 16, 2022
I understand but my point is that to me its on the edge with yellow memory pressure on basic tasks. If I wanted to fire up iMovie or Final Cut I'd most likely have to close down some apps. plus I'd want my machine to last at least 7 years. My entry 2015 MacBook Pro came with 16 gig. I just can't see 8 gig being able to cope in 5-7 years time.

This sounds just a bit irrational. Why not then just buy 16GB, and move on? What do you care what the base model is?

In the end it is about the money, isn't it? That's your problem. Ok, we can all agree that Apple devices are expensive, but a lot of other brands are too. And in my humble opinion the additional money pays off over the lifetime of a MacBook.

Another thing is, that it is not true – again in my opinion, but also with some knowledge I have as a programmer – is, that macOS uses more and more memory, or that a lot apps programmed for macOS use more and more memory. These times have been over maybe a bit less than a decade. Most apps with possible memory problems are badly programmed messes like certain Adobe applications, or website like MacRumors which are just a terribly programmed sites.

JamesMay82

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2009
This sounds just a bit irrational. Why not then just buy 16GB, and move on? What do you care what the base model is?

In the end it is about the money, isn't it? That's your problem. Ok, we can all agree that Apple devices are expensive, but a lot of other brands are too. And in my humble opinion the additional money pays off over the lifetime of a MacBook.

Another thing is, that it is not true – again in my opinion, but also with some knowledge I have as a programmer – is, that macOS uses more and more memory, or that a lot apps programmed for macOS use more and more memory. These times have been over maybe a bit less than a decade. Most apps with possible memory problems are badly programmed messes like certain Adobe applications, or website like MacRumors which are just a terribly programmed sites.

I would get 16 or more when I come to buy but the initial post is saying that 8 is fine for most and that’s what i disagree with. My company issued laptop does run in the yellow for basic tasks. Yes it runs fine for the most part but if I was spending my own money I’d want a bit more head room. Especially when like you say they can last a long while. Starting at 8 gig just feels a bit mean in this day and age.

Noted about certain websites being ram killers.

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
Tabs just needs to stop being part of RAM discussions. Saying you have 5 tabs open and needs 16 GB of RAM says nothing. That’s like saying you need 128GB of RAM for one program to run. Which in my case with one of my projects is true. But someone else can open 500 applications that are way less demanding and be able to use 16 GB.

shakopeemn

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2014
I have 8GB and experience is fine.

I see 2 areas where 16GB may make sense for the average user:
* I'm logged into Macbook while my spouse is as well. Not forced to log the other off. (not my issue).
* Future proof requirements of the annoying Apple OS updates. Please, please, it's not an iPhone.

My 2 cents.

iHorseHead

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2021
I use Xcode on 8GB of RAM and it's been fine so far.
Even the simulator is snappy. The only issue is that Xcode seems to be worse than it used to be. I dont think it's the rams fault, but pretty often I have to go to /Users/Library/Developer/Xcode/DerivedData/ and delete everything so my projects would be 'bug free' again. Started when I updated to the newest version. I'm happy with my M1 MBA tbh. I used MacBook Pro mid 2010 for ten years and well… I'm happier with my current experience. I don't have to wait for 48 hours to get my stuff exported etc.

Sami13496

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2022

I agree with this but got me thinking. Why need RAM at all then? If 1.6 GB is swapped can’t 8 or 10 or more? Let the swap work instead of having RAM. I’m not very technical person so someone can explain why it won’t work…?

Cancelled
Jun 16, 2022
I agree with this but got me thinking. Why need RAM at all then? If 1.6 GB is swapped can’t 8 or 10 or more? Let the swap work instead of having RAM. I’m not very technical person so someone can explain why it won’t work…?

RAM is very fast but volatile. When your device looses power the data in the RAM is gone.
SSD is slower than RAM but permanent. It only uses power when storing data and when reading it.

RAM is true Random Access Memory.
SSD is more or less randomly accessible memory. Every 'cell' which stores a Bit – a yes or no – can only be written to 10 to 25 thousand times depending on the kind of SSD. So the software driver managing read and writes to the SSD is trying to use all cells evenly over time. This is called wear levelling. This costs additional time.

Although SSDs have caught-up speed-wise and are nowadays much closer to the speed of RAM than a decade ago, certain essential parts of the operating system and of services the operating system gives programmers for applications, need to run at full speed. These things need to be stored in RAM, or the user would immediately notice heavy lagging.

mdhaus72

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2018

I agree. I think a lot of people are forgetting that these ARM Macs utilize RAM in a different way than other "traditional" PC setups. The Macs are pretty good at covering up the problems they run into when the memory pool runs low...but there is still an impact. Unless you are only web browsing on a couple of tabs and working on a small project, I think a lot of people are better off with 16 GB of RAM.

James Godfrey

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2011
I have said this on here before…

Do people on here really believe a stock version Mac released in October 2023 at a price of $1599 with 8GB RAM (namely, the base MBP M3) is going to be running like crap in 3 years time…???

I very much doubt it. The fact Apple has released a stock 8GB RAM MacBook now shows that it’s very likely 8GB RAM will be good for at least 5 years still, but as always it all depends on your use case.

We won’t see an upgrade in base stock RAM now until at least mid 2025 when M4 is launched… and that’s ’if’ they do bump it up, but if they don’t which is more likely we won’t see a bump in base RAM until at least the end of 2026 until that time Apple will still be selling 8GB RAM MacBook’s, and if we are going by the predictions on here they will be paper weights straight out of the box… not a good business model for Apple if you ask me.

Always buy according to your use case and as Apple says on their website:

8GB: Great for browsing online, streaming movies, messaging with friends and family, editing photos and personal video, casual gaming, and running everyday productivity apps.

16GB: Great if you will be multitasking across a large number of memory-intensive apps, including professional video editing.

24GB or more: Best if you typically work on advanced projects that require enormous files and content libraries.

Make your decision based off of this… forget about ‘future proofing’ or worrying about what you may need 2-3 years from now… because 99% of us will use our MacBook the same way in 3 years time as we do today, you will know if your going to need more in the near future if you have something coming up in your life which will change that (change of career, big project coming up etc.) and if you do unexpectedly require more performance, guess what, you can easily sell your mac and use that money to put towards what you require at that point. Apple silicon machines generally have a decent resale anyway.

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
If it runs fine, who cares what Activity Monitor says? I never open it unless I've got a problem.

So long as I'm not seeing beachballs or big pauses when I'm trying to work, I don't know or care how much swap space I'm using right now, or what color my "memory pressure" is.

henkie

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2023

Indeed, the laptops run fine when using them. Just like a 70 horse power Mercedes is (more than) fine: looks nice, quiet, great road feel. But then put the 140 horse power/16GB M1 air next to it and see the difference...Especially with multitasking/lightroom/using non-efficient apps (looking at you, Graphpad Prism!). I honestly do not get how the OP has had such a positive experience. Almost every test you seen with 16 vs 8Gb just shows how (dramatically) slower 8GB can be.
I agree. I think a lot of people are forgetting that these ARM Macs utilize RAM in a different way than other "traditional" PC setups. The Macs are pretty good at covering up the problems they run into when the memory pool runs low...but there is still an impact. Unless you are only web browsing on a couple of tabs and working on a small project, I think a lot of people are better off with 16 GB of RAM.
And this somewhat sums it up. Too bad Apple charges an arm (pun intended) and a leg for the upgrade.

James Godfrey

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2011
Point is RAM is cheap. To charge extra $200 for another 8GB is shameful. Also the SSD is slower than M1. You have to pay extra to get the same speed. I’m fine with 256GB since I can use an external HD to backup stuff. But now the laptop you can buy from $900 goes to $1600.

Is the MacBook Air M3 going to be another downgrade?
But imagine a world where Apple only charged $50 for an extra 8GB of RAM, they would likely never sell their 8GB RAM versions and it would be pointless selling them at all.

Yes RAM is cheap but Apple will be taking into account that the more powerful of a machine you buy today the further away into the future it will be until you ‘might’ need an upgrade, ultimately loosing Apple $$$, so they want compensating for that.

Will M3 be a downgrade… possibly, especially if what Maxtech reported that the chip generally runs hotter than M2, I can see thermal throttling kicking in quicker with the M3 Air, although the performance will be better up to that point.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.