Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sierra36

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 3, 2005
Hi!

I'm very new to Mac. I'm trying to find a mac suppported web host that also has templates to create my small website. A Small Organge does not seem to offer the ready-made templates. Could someone educate me on how I go about doing this?

Thanks.:p

TodVader

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2005
Quebec, Canada
you could use regular hosting and find a template at another place.

Try searching for ''Free templates'' on google and you will find some very nice websites that offer templates absolutly free.

Vader

macrumors 65816
Oct 11, 2004
Saint Charles, MO
A good program to take a look at would be Dreamweaver.
That is really expensive, but it is so easy for anyone to dosimple stuff, and it can do complicated stuff when you learn more.

Doozy

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2005
A lot of website hosting providers offer some kind of templates for free. If the hosting provider offers "Fantastico" you can automatic install "Templates Express". Although the templates leave much to be desired and you will need to use a text editor or dreamweaver to place your copy.

By the way A Small Orange does offer "Fantastico"

I also offer "Fantastico" and a program called "SITE STUDIO" which is kind of a website wizard which you can use through a browser. To be honest though these templates are not very pretty, but they do give you a website that can be up and running very fast.

Fantastico is a great utility which automatically installs open source software in your web space. You can install picture galleries, blogs, shopping carts, and much more.

PBGPowerbook

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2004
i was a total beginner and just got my first website up...I used NVu (nvu.com) a free open source WYSIWYG editor...plus cyberduck (versiontrack it) and a cheap host and domain registrar. I'd recommend this route to anyone.

theappleguy

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2005
mcmillan said:
Once again, I must suggest RapidWeaver. Shareware, $35.
I had a play around with RapidWeaver a couple of months ago and I was very impressed. If you haven't checked it out yet sierra36 I would strongly suggest it if you don't want to learn how to hard code pages.

I'm very new to Mac. I'm trying to find a mac suppported web host that also has templates to create my small website.
As suggested above, I would keep the template search and host search seperate. Finding a good host is hard enough as it is without adding extra requirements. My recommendations would be Myacen or TJR Networks (good if you want tech support from people who actually use Macs). There are heaps of template sites out there so you shouldn't have too much trouble finding a template that suits your requirements.

muzikool

macrumors member
Apr 5, 2005
I basically have the same question as the original poster so I'd like to get in on the discussion for some advice.

Yahoo! has tons of templates and design software included with its package, but (of course) it's only Win-compatible. I looked at RapidWeaver and it seems to be a nice program, but I didn't find any exceptional templates from there nor from the other sites linked from RapidWeaver's site. If I were to search for templates and buy one, what (cheap or free) Mac software is available so that I could easily edit it? Can RapidWeaver do this, or does it only support a specific template file type?

theappleguy

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2005
I'm not sure if you can edit just any old template with Rapid Weaver but other more expensive (and more complicated editors) such as Adobe GoLive and Macromedia Dreamweaver should be able to handle anything you throw at them. Ideally you would learn HTML and CSS at some point because templates are very restrictive. :)

Edit: If you want some nice looking templaces, templatemonster.com is a good place to start. :)

ZoomZoomZoom

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2005
As already mentioned, you can get templates from elsewhere, or installed through Fantastico.

If you're making a blog, and if you create it through blogger to be displayed on your own server, http://www.blogger.com offers templates for your use. It's a really simple step-by-step process, can't mess up. In fact, my website's blog is driven by blogger because I'm too lazy to install wordpress. All of it can be done easily on a mac, and it's all online. If you have your login information ready, it'll take your maybe 5 minutes, tops, to sign up for blogger, set up your template/site, and begin posting.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.