Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

macstatic

macrumors 68010
Original poster
Oct 21, 2005
Norway
UPDATE: please disregard the questions below as I followed up the post with my own experiences, and it's now turned into a review. Read on....

Has anyone used the Belkin Ethernet+power to Lightning adapter (also available from the Apple store) with their iPad? Does it work satisfactorly?
I've read a lot on the subject and most Ethernet solutions for the iPad demand a chain of devices, starting with the iPad like this:

1. iPad
  2. Lightning to USB3 adapter (Apple camera connection kit)
  3. USB to ethernet adapter
  4. Powered USB-hub
  5. Ethernet port/wall-socket

I'm wondering if the Belkin Ethernet adapter can do without all of that? In other words, connected in this order:
  1. iPad
  2. Belkin Ethernet+Power to Lightning adapter
  3. iPad charger (optional?)
  4. Ethernet port/wall-socket
The ability to plug in the iPad charger is a great bonus of course (so you don't need to worry about keeping the iPad recharged all the time) but is it optional (in case the iPad is fully charged) or is it essential because the Ethernet adapter needs that extra power?
This adapter appears to be a hassle free way to allow Ethernet (wired Internet) on their iPads for those needing that (instead of using WiFi).

Last edited:

macstatic

macrumors 68010
Original poster
Oct 21, 2005
Norway
To answer my own questions (as I went ahead and ordered it from the Apple store anyway and received it yesterday):

The adapter works perfectly!
It's just a matter of plugging into the iPad and you're online. No configuration or settings, no downloads, no hassle.
When plugged in for the first time you're asked if you want to download the Belkin app, but this isn't needed (I decided not to download it, just to see if it works without it -which it does. Apparently it's for upgrading the adapter's firmware if/that happens -but for me I'm basically thinking "If it works don't fix it", so I skipped it).

So you just plug it in and you're online!
In the "Settings" app ("General" section) you'll see a new "Ethernet" option next to Airplane mode, Wi-Fi and Bluetooth. As far as I can see tell (and my experience) there's no need to do change/set any settings here. The Ethernet option goes away when you disconnect the adapter and reappears again when you attach it again.

Actually you do get online access regardless of Airplane mode on or off! But with Airplane mode on, many apps complain (even though they actually do go online), so it's probably an idea to turn Airplane mode OFF, and instead switch Wi-Fi on/off according to need (for instance if you use the Ethernet adapter at home and Wi-Fi when travelling).
Belkin-Ethernet-dongle.jpg

Another great thing is that it works both with or without the iPad charger!
We've used it for a couple of hours straight now just on battery, and didn't get any alert or warning messages about insufficient power etc. so I assume it's designed to work either way.
Regardless it's very practical to go online AND have the iPad's battery charged at the same time :)
A practical advice about that though: I've heard that today's rechargeable batteries need to be "excercised" (i.e. actually used, not just charged) or else their lives will get drastically shortened over time. I actually had this happen to me with a Mac Powerbook which I mostly used at home, and for practical reasons I just left plugged into the charger all the time. I noticed that the few times I needed to bring the laptop along the batteries didn't last long, and following that I heard about the above advice.
So now I try to use portable devices with both AC power (charging) and on their own (battery) regardless.

I tested the adapter with an iPad Mini (5th generation), iPad Air (not sure about the version but it runs iOS 13) and as an added bonus it very unexpectedly even worked with my old iPad Mini (1st generation) running iOS 9.3.5! The specs only list compatibility with recent iPads, so that was totally unexpected, but very cool!

Anything negative about it?
Not much except the price (then again you usually get what you pay for) and the rather short cable.
I suppose you can buy Lightning extension cables so you don't risk repeatedly bending the adapter's cable -which I assume will finally make it break or split up. O you can just rotate the iPad in the best position which puts the least strain on the cable, using a suitable stand or an iPad's case to place it in a way it won't cause any bend or strain to the cable.

NOTE: I found a solution to the short cable. I don't know why they're so hard to come by (I couldn't find any locally) so I ordered one from MeloAudio for US$ 12.99 (free shipping). It's braided, meaning it should last for a while and being 3.3 ft (1m) long you can keep the Ethernet adapter a good distance from the iPad and no longer need to worry if the (very short) cable will weaken and finally break every time you move the iPad around. I'm looking forward to receiving it.
71imEQqrGzL._SL1500_800x.jpg

Other than that, not much to complain about. Quality appears top notch (actually indisguisable from any Apple adapter in both colour, design and quality) and what's not to like when stuff just works!
I haven't done any extensive tests, but surfing the web just seemed a lot faster than with the usual Wi-Fi. And for security concerns wired Internet is of course a lot safer than Wi-Fi where someone with the right knowledge and gear can just sit outside your house in their car with a laptop and "snoop" into your passwords etc.
And for those concerned about health issues (prolonged exposure to radio frequency (RF) signals) this adapter is a great solution when using an iPad which otherwise doesn't have an Ethernet connector built-in and isn't widely advertised by Apple as being able to go online with anything but Wi-Fi.

This is my first experience with Ethernet on an iPad, and I know there are other solutions out there like the cheap Ethernet to USB adapters on eBay etc.
But (from what I've read) they all demand a long chain of additional adapters (Lightning to USB3 adapter (Apple camera connection kit) and a USB hub), and you're forced into using the charger as the iPad battery doesn't have enough power for it all.
I'd check the total price first, and compare it with the cost of the Belkin adapter, and also ask myself if I'm OK with having the charger plugged into the (rather messy IMHO) chain of adapters, all the time.
I haven't done the math but for all I know this Belkin Ethernet adapter might come out cheaper or around the same, and at a higher convenience.

Oh, I found a review here and here. Alas there's no talk about the charger being essential or not, but as I've already stated -my experience so far is that using the charger is optional in order to make it work.

All in all I'm very happy with my purchase and can thoroughly recommend it! ???

Last edited:

davikva

macrumors newbie
Apr 7, 2020
Hi macstatic,

thanks a lot for your review! I´ve already bought this adapter. I can confirm all of your comments about this product.

The adapter work perfectly and it allows the ipad to charge. I had an not official ethernet adapter for the ipad and this doesn´t let the ipad charge, instead discharges it quickly.

I am worried too about the durability, because of the adapter´s weight bending the short cable. Did you already got the extended cable? did it work?

I´ve read in some reviews about such extension cables, that they are only for charging purposes, not for data transfer.
I´ve found this: https://www.amazon.de/Excellentas-L...=lightning+verlängerung&qid=1586250194&sr=8-3 , but I am not sure if it will work.

I would apreciate your comments!

macstatic

macrumors 68010
Original poster
Oct 21, 2005
Norway
Thanks for your nice comments, and your info which confirms my review :)
Unfortunately I haven't received the extension cable yet. It seems to take a very long time. I'll post back here when it's arrived and I've tested it.

I haven't heard that those extension cables are only for charging, but that's an important thing to check before buying! With the cable I ordered it says "For charging, video, data and audio passthrough" and "High speed data transfer" so I would be very surprised if it only works for charging. And for charging; wouldn't that normally be a USB cable with a Lightning connector at the other end?

Having used the Ethernet adapter for several weeks now without problems I still think the only problem with it is the very short cable. In my opinion there should just be a socket in the box, so you can use a cable (which can be replaced if broken), but I wouldn't be surprised if they designed it to actually break after a while, so you'd need to buy a new one :oops:

davikva

macrumors newbie
Apr 7, 2020
Thanks for your nice comments, and your info which confirms my review :)
Unfortunately I haven't received the extension cable yet. It seems to take a very long time. I'll post back here when it's arrived and I've tested it.

I haven't heard that those extension cables are only for charging, but that's an important thing to check before buying! With the cable I ordered it says "For charging, video, data and audio passthrough" and "High speed data transfer" so I would be very surprised if it only works for charging. And for charging; wouldn't that normally be a USB cable with a Lightning connector at the other end?

Having used the Ethernet adapter for several weeks now without problems I still think the only problem with it is the very short cable. In my opinion there should just be a socket in the box, so you can use a cable (which can be replaced if broken), but I wouldn't be surprised if they designed it to actually break after a while, so you'd need to buy a new one :oops:
Hi!,

I have received the cable I ordered. It worked but in a very strange form. If I connect the LAN cable to the adapter, and the adapter to the extension cable and this one into the ipad; internet works perfectly. Internet is a very tiny bit slower, nothing that you can notice. BUT the bad thing is, if you connect a lightning cable to to the adapter to charge the iPad, it does not work! not charging appears on the top of the iPad.

Is a very strange thing... I just disconnected the charging cable and now it appears to charge. UPDATE. the icon shows a battery charging but I checked that is loosing slowly the power.

Anyways using the extension cable protects the ethernet adapter from damaging.

Well, I will do some testing this week and will inform about it.

@macstatic: did you already receive your extension cable?

macstatic

macrumors 68010
Original poster
Oct 21, 2005
Norway
I'm sorry to hear about your experiences :(
I would contact Amazon and tell them it's not working as it should.
But before doing that it would be interesting to find out what is the actual cause is. Do you have a multimeter (an electric/electronic measuring device) or know someone who has? In that case it would be easy to check if all wires are connected or not.

No, my cable hasn't arrived yet. I received a tracking number and it's sent 3 weeks ago, but sometimes these shipments are quite slow. Also, there's a lot more online ordering these days of Corona, so maybe that's the reason. I hope mine will work ....and arrive soon!

Last edited:

macstatic

macrumors 68010
Original poster
Oct 21, 2005
Norway
Well, I received the cable a while back, and I'd love to say it was worth the wait but it really didn't work as expected :(
But keep reading......

Basically you had to wiggle the connector back and forth several times into the iPad until the connectors lined up correctly. Fortunately, after many times of plugging/unplugging the cable it has started to work as intended. It appears it hasn't been made 100% to accurate specs, but luckily some tear & wear has made it fit better.

We haven't had any issues any more, but charging appears to take longer than with a direct connection using the standard cable. My suspicions were confirmed by a simple timing test: first timing 13% additional charging with the normal cable + extension cable (1 hour, 11 minutes), then charging an additional 13% with just the normal cable (36 minutes) indicates that using the two cables took about twice as long to charge!

I really wish Apple, Belkin or some other quality manufacturer could supply a cable like this (it doesn't even have to be this long -just enough to avoid bending and wear to the existing cable), but as they're not making them it's a matter of finding the right "no name" cable. If anyone reading can recommend other cables, please do post!

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.