Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KenB

macrumors member
Nov 4, 2014
Portland, Oregon
Thanks for the in-depth reviews guys. Based on this thread, I just ordered a white one from Amazon, for delivery on Tuesday. I was originally planning to get the Zagg Tough Book case, but I'm tired of waiting for it, and given the lackluster reviews for the very similar "Slim Book", I think the Belkin is the better product.

I had a Zagg Folio on my iPad 3, and have really missed having a physical keyboard on the Air 2.

BrianSoCal

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2011
Houston, TX
Thanks for the in-depth reviews guys. Based on this thread, I just ordered a white one from Amazon, for delivery on Tuesday. I was originally planning to get the Zagg Tough Book case, but I'm tired of waiting for it, and given the lackluster reviews for the very similar "Slim Book", I think the Belkin is the better product.

I had a Zagg Folio on my iPad 3, and have really missed having a physical keyboard on the Air 2.

I was just looking on Amazon and the white's are out of stock, guess you got the last one :)

I just got the New Trent Airbender 5.0 today; seems okay albeit a bit clunky.

KenB

macrumors member
Nov 4, 2014
Portland, Oregon
I was just looking on Amazon and the white's are out of stock, guess you got the last one :)

I just got the New Trent Airbender 5.0 today; seems okay albeit a bit clunky.

It said there were 3 when I added it to my cart, so depending on timing, I may well have gotten the last one.

The AirBender was definitely interesting, but I need backlit keys because I DJ on the side occasionally, and the venues are often not well lit. I've had other Belkin products and have generally been satisfied with them.

KenB

macrumors member
Nov 4, 2014
Portland, Oregon
I received the case/keyboard, and I'm pretty impressed so far. The magnet that holds the keyboard hinge/flap to the case could be a little stronger, as others have noted, and it would be nice if they had a Fn Lock key, since they decided to dual purpose the Apple function keys with the number keys.

Other than that, I have no complaints. I'm flying to San Jose this weekend, so I'll have plenty of time with it on the plane.

Mobster1983

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2011
It's faux leather by the way, though it looks and feels pretty decent.

So I gave the Belkin keyboard case to my Dad and later asked him how he's getting on with it. "It's not working" he said. What?! But it was working perfectly when I gave it to you! Apparently it loses the Bluetooth connection in use or it doesn't connect at all. The main culprit is the iOS 8.1.2 update installed just recently. I will have to try and reset his network settings and see if that helps.

The keyboard seems to have a power saving mode that puts it to sleep after a few minutes of non-use. I have noticed this when using it for notes in class. A press of any of the keys wakes it back up, but it does take a few seconds. I do wish there was an option somewhere to turn this off, but I havent found it.

mstein88

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2014
One more question for you Qode users. Does the case stay fairly balanced while typing on your lap or does it have a tendency to want to tilt backward?

I'd really like to SEE one in action -- wish a Best Buy or other store near me had them in stock.

Mobster1983

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2011
One more question for you Qode users. Does the case stay fairly balanced while typing on your lap or does it have a tendency to want to tilt backward?

I'd really like to SEE one in action -- wish a Best Buy or other store near me had them in stock.

Mine stays pretty balanced. The keyoard is almost as heavy as the iPad Air 2, so it balances it out.

tak712

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2014
Has anyone purchased this locally? Amazon is sold out and I'd like to buy locally just in case I have to return it. I went to best buy but didn't see it. Anyone know where I could get one?

ausios

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2012
Has anyone purchased this locally? Amazon is sold out and I'd like to buy locally just in case I have to return it. I went to best buy but didn't see it. Anyone know where I could get one?

Ordered mine through Belkin's site, http://www.belkin.com/us/Products/Tablet-Keyboards-and-Cases/c/Tablet-Keyboard-Cases/ . QODE Ultimate Pro With ipad air 2, is the best set-up I've ever had. No connectivity problems. Ultimate Pro is expensive for a keyboard case, but has advantages.

KenB

macrumors member
Nov 4, 2014
Portland, Oregon
The keyboard seems to have a power saving mode that puts it to sleep after a few minutes of non-use. I have noticed this when using it for notes in class. A press of any of the keys wakes it back up, but it does take a few seconds. I do wish there was an option somewhere to turn this off, but I havent found it.

I've noticed that too, and I'm equally annoyed by it. I don't really NEED a year between charges, a couple of months is really overkill IMO.

The other thing that's getting on my nerves is having to hold the Fn key to use the (Non Dedicated) Apple control keys. If they were going to make that decision for us, they should have included a FnLOCK key somewhere!

Everything else works smoothly and well, and it's better balanced than the Zagg keyboard on the iPad 3 was, but these two "features" will probably cause me to replace it at some point, when there are more accessories available for the Air 2.

KenB

macrumors member
Nov 4, 2014
Portland, Oregon
OK, I just found a HUGE problem with this keyboard, that is probably a deal breaker for me. It won't coexist on Bluetooth with my Bose SoundLink III :(

They both connect, but when I am streaming music over BlueTooth and trying to type simultaneously, the Belkin is inserting extra keystrokes on a regular basis, making it impossible to type coherently while streaming music. I know these are still pretty hard to get, so if there is someone out there that doesn't stream music over BT and wants it, PM me and I will sell it to you instead of returning it to Amazon.

madamelulu

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2014
OK, I just found a HUGE problem with this keyboard, that is probably a deal breaker for me. It won't coexist on Bluetooth with my Bose SoundLink III :(

They both connect, but when I am streaming music over BlueTooth and trying to type simultaneously, the Belkin is inserting extra keystrokes on a regular basis, making it impossible to type coherently while streaming music. I know these are still pretty hard to get, so if there is someone out there that doesn't stream music over BT and wants it, PM me and I will sell it to you instead of returning it to Amazon.

Is this really a flaw?? I know you can pair 2 devices, but I didn't think you could use them simultaneously.

KenB

macrumors member
Nov 4, 2014
Portland, Oregon
Is this really a flaw?? I know you can pair 2 devices, but I didn't think you could use them simultaneously.

On my iPad 3, with the Zagg Folio BT Keyboard and the Bose SLIII using both simultaneously worked flawlessly. I'd expect a newer iPad and keyboard to perform BETTER...

mstein88

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2014
Belkin has them in stock again

FYI, Belkin has them in stock again. I ordered the Qode Ultimate Pro this afternoon. 20% off with the code "NEWYEAR20." (I hope I'm allowed to post that here.)

I returned my Zagg Slim Book. Hope the Qode is an improvement.

mstein88

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2014
I received the Qode Ultimate Pro

I've only been using it for a day, but already the typing experience is vastly improved over the Zagg Slim Book. No lag and no missed keystrokes. Also, the magnetic connection keeps the iPad screen locked firmly in place whereas the design of the Slim Book caused the screen to rock back and forth slightly. It was annoying for something that cost nearly $150.

The alumnium keyboard and the (fake) leather backing that holds the iPad itself is nice. I've had none of the pairing issues thus far that have been reported in reviews elsewhere. Overall, this looks and feels like a premium accessory.

Here's hoping I finally found the right keyboard case.

7racer

macrumors regular
May 3, 2004

I have this same problem. I am listening to music over my bluetooth headphones while trying to type while on a flight and get extra keystrokes. Anyone contact Belkin about this??

Mobster1983

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2011
Anyone have issues laying in bed and not being angle it to 90 degrees?

No issues for me. As long as you are not laying completely on your back with your head pointed straight up a the ceiling, the angles should be fine to read.

eyeseeyou

macrumors 68040
Feb 4, 2011
Old post but has anyone been able to successfully pair this with a macbook pro? I'd like to use this as a wireless keyboard and switch between my ipad and macbook OR use it for my macbook to when using my air as a second display using the DUET app

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.