Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kkutrian90

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 25, 2016
Hi all,

I have a late 2011, 15-inch Macbook Pro (processor: 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7; memory: 4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3; El Capitan), and it seems like Safari (version 9.0.3) has been getting increasingly sluggish. I tried the usual stuff - emptying the cache, clearing the history, deleting favicons, etc. - and it may have helped a bit, but not much.

I wanted to try out Google's Namebench (version 1.3.1) to identify the fastest DNS providers, but Safari is not one of the options listed under "Query Data Source." My only choices are Firefox, Chrome, top 2000 (Alexa), and the 3 cache latency tests (no clue what this means) - but no Safari. I'd prefer not to use either of the other browsers, because I've only used them rarely, so they are not an accurate representation of my browsing history.

I've tried closing all open apps, including Safari, and restarting Namebench, as well as uninstalling and reinstalling Namebench, and restarting my laptop. No dice.

Can someone help me correct this so I can run the tests with Safari as the data source? Any help would be truly appreciated!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.