Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Badfish12

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 2, 2023
Is anyone aware of any benchmarks/stats on the specific wattage for the different SSD configurations on silicon MBPs?

Would like to know the power usage numbers comparing 1TB -> 2TB -> 4TB -> 8TB

Would also be great to know if there are any stats on battery life per configuration.

altaic

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2004
A bit weird, but it could be interesting. Either way, the benchmark units should be mJ/GB written and mJ/GB read. Power determination would be mW/GB/s (for read and write each), which I suppose could be interesting as well, though it’s usefulness isn’t clear to me.

I’m curious what motivates your investigation… A bar bet? An actual use case?

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
How would you approach a task like that? You'd need a way to accurately measure the power draw at the PSU. To my knowledge, macOS does not give you a tool for that.

Chancha

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2014
The best anyone can do is to identify the NAND model numbers during a tear down, find that manufacturer's spec / white paper, and deduct from there.

In fact what will make a bigger impact is the exact number of NANDs for all configs. We knew from last gen with the "SSD speed gate", 256GB is the lowest capacity chips that are used. So:

512GB - 2 x 256
1TB - 4 x 256
2TB - 8 x 256
(but there have been reports of Apple mixing matching, the number is sometimes 5 or 6)
4TB - 8 x 512
8TB - 8 x 1TB

there are a total of 8 solder "spots" for the NANDs to go to I believe, 2 on each L/R side of the board, then double that top/bottom side since it is a dual rank board.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
The best anyone can do is to identify the NAND model numbers during a tear down, find that manufacturer's spec / white paper, and deduct from there.

This has been done and it's kind of a dead end since the parts are custom and are not present in the usual product list.

Chancha

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2014
This has been done and it's kind of a dead end since the parts are custom and are not present in the usual product list.
Then it truly is a dead end, with how closed a system the current Macs are.

Badfish12

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 2, 2023

In fact what will make a bigger impact is the exact number of NANDs for all configs. We knew from last gen with the "SSD speed gate", 256GB is the lowest capacity chips that are used. So:

512GB - 2 x 256
1TB - 4 x 256
2TB - 8 x 256
(but there have been reports of Apple mixing matching, the number is sometimes 5 or 6)
4TB - 8 x 512
8TB - 8 x 1TB

there are a total of 8 solder "spots" for the NANDs to go to I believe, 2 on each L/R side of the board, then double that top/bottom side since it is a dual rank board.
Interesting, so if that’s the NAND configs, then it would seem the 512 and 1tb probably have less power usage because only 2 and 4 channels are used respectively as opposed to 8 channels for the others?

Chancha

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2014
Interesting, so if that’s the NAND configs, then it would seem the 512 and 1tb probably have less power usage because only 2 and 4 channels are used respectively as opposed to 8 channels for the others?
It should be. In fact one of the side effects of M2 base model Air / minis using single 256GB NAND is supposedly less power consumption, over the dual 128 GB config.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.