Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Foxblue

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 29, 2021
Sao Paulo
Hi guys,

Me and my family are Apple persons and we only have iPhones and Macs at home. Also, all of our TVs carry built in AirPlay 2 (we have Samsung’s Q60 and R7100 series).

On the other hand, I have a Chromecast Ultra 4K that has been lying around since I got those TVs and have received reasonable offers to sell it (these offers wouldn’t buy me a new one, but are around 70% the purchase price).

Is there any reason for me to keep the Chromecast Ultra 4K? For instance, better quality in streaming photos and videos from my devices, better audio quality if I get a home theater receiver, more compatible apps or anything like that?

Thanks in advance.

One2Grift

Cancelled
Jun 1, 2021
I’ve used air play 2 for a fair bit now. Not an expert on it but It’s worked solidly and no complaints about quality. Can’t say the quality vs Roku is the same but I suspect AP won’t be quite as good.
But consider: even moving my iPhone a fair measurement can cause quick skips in the video motion (which is to maybe be expected). If I get a call? If I need to text? If i didnt have a Mac to use as the phone then TV time is likely to be paused.

As such, a Roku and using air play 2 occupy a different user experience space. Consider what you do with your phone while watching TV. Now consider these things you do may kill the video watching . Are there others watching who will be at the whim of your call/text/whatever? you also have things like battery life to consider as well as the aforementioned Bluetooth connectivity must remain fairly solid. Air play will get you there for app video/tv watching but the user experience just isn’t that of a dedicated streamer box.
The Roku is solid. Pick up the remote, select app, put down remote, watch quality video without hiccup or text messaging interruption.Go ahead and mess with your phone as needed during commercials.
I think Roku is a great product. Dollar for dollar the best streamer stick/box product. (Apple discussion from here ?) But I prefer the new Apple TV 4K. imho its quality is best of them all but that’s at a very heavy % premium. And The quality upgrade difference is sufficiently small that many won’t notice. Apple’s ‘It just works’ standard also lives in the AT4k. But Roku well gets you these too at a notably reduced price. The AT 4K real value add is if your in the A ecosystem. I am semi recently new fully in the ecosystem and it’s ‘it just works’ expectation was a BFD selling point to me. That has exceeded my expectations.
i personally wouldn’t use air play as my sole streaming solution in lieu of a streaming box. Air play isn’t quite ‘it just works’. But if you must get rid of the Roku, can’t you use the TV’s built in apps along with air play, then call it a day?

Foxblue

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 29, 2021
Sao Paulo
Thank you for your reply. You are correct about this. Additionally I have noticed that AirPlay 2 does not have support for certain content and/or websites that are supported by Chromecast. At last, Samsung has informed me that the resolution of AirPlay 2 support on my TVs only goes up to Full HD (1080p), while my Chromecast Ultra supports 4K. I am keeping the Google Dongle.

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
Chromecast Ultra 4K is the official Stadia AAA game streaming device. Got mine with controller for free with Cyberpunk game purchase. Google also had the offer with Resident Evil Village game purchase.

https://stadia.google.com/games

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011
I have a TV with the built in airplay/apple TV and I have the Chromecast with Android TV.

I use the chromecast almost exclusively. I find the Apple TV built in experience is far more limiting and way to limited based on app support.

There is just far more that just works with the ChromeCast. Even on my iPhone. Apple first party apps don't work, but everything else works better.

I've also even ran into a few places where Apple's own stuff doesn't work either. Apple Music won't stream to my TV at all. All I get is the album art and a status bar that won't move.

Overall, the new Chromecast, given it's cost and easy of use is simply the best option for set top capabilities at a reasonable price.

That's not to prop up the chromecast without pointing out it has a few things that aren't great:

The homescreen is advertising. you're going to be mostly recommended titles that require additional payments. Even if you've got the apps and subscriptions (most of my recommendations this week were pay titles on disney+)

The Youtube App on this model of chromecast absolutely has had it's commercialization ramped up. I get adds now places that I never did before. starting the app? Commercials. return to the app after going to the homescreen even for a second? Commercials. pause for longer than 45 seconds? Commercials.

Also while the remote is great to have (I love having a quick physical remote), and it's layout is good. The buttons are absolute mushy. I am constantly accidentally having button presses, even just accidentally putting the remote down button side down. it's that mushy and soft.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.