Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JonD25

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 9, 2006
I'm encountering something a bit weird. I just got a new BenQ SW2700pt monitor for the wide gamut Adobe RGB coverage. I'm using it with my 2019 MacBook Pro 13" with Mojave 10.14.6 connected via a USB-C to DisplayPort cable. On the BenQ, I've got an image I exported as jpg once with Adobe RGB color and once with sRGB color as a test for myself to see the difference. When I view each image in Quick Look and move between the two, I can easily see the change. If I open both in Preview, suddenly the Adobe RGB image doesn't look like Adobe RGB, it looks more dull like the sRGB image. I fact, switching between the two, I can't tell the difference. These are the same files I was just looking at in Quick Look. To make things even more confusing, if I open the same files in Photoshop, the Adobe RGB image looks like it should. And if that wasn't confusing enough, if I move Preview to my MacBook Pro screen (I know it's Display P3 gamut but close enough for this test), suddenly the Adobe RGB difference is visible again. Moving back the the BenQ, it looks like sRGB again. Also curiously, switching between the two on the BenQ in Preview, when I switch to the Adobe RGB image, it's almost like there's a split second where it looks correct before it suddenly looks like sRGB.

I can't for the life of me understand what's happening. If it were a display issue, then wouldn't it not look right in Quick Look or Photoshop on the BenQ? And if it were a Preview issue, wouldn't it not look right on the MacBook Pro? Soft proofing is off in Preview, and changing it to something else only shows a change on the MacBook Pro again, not on the BenQ. It's like Preview doesn't like AdobeRGB on the BenQ for some reason.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
I think @Apple fanboy has a BenQ.
2 in fact!
[doublepost=1568409073][/doublepost]
I'm encountering something a bit weird. I just got a new BenQ SW2700pt monitor for the wide gamut Adobe RGB coverage. I'm using it with my 2019 MacBook Pro 13" with Mojave 10.14.6 connected via a USB-C to DisplayPort cable. On the BenQ, I've got an image I exported as jpg once with Adobe RGB color and once with sRGB color as a test for myself to see the difference. When I view each image in Quick Look and move between the two, I can easily see the change. If I open both in Preview, suddenly the Adobe RGB image doesn't look like Adobe RGB, it looks more dull like the sRGB image. I fact, switching between the two, I can't tell the difference. These are the same files I was just looking at in Quick Look. To make things even more confusing, if I open the same files in Photoshop, the Adobe RGB image looks like it should. And if that wasn't confusing enough, if I move Preview to my MacBook Pro screen (I know it's Display P3 gamut but close enough for this test), suddenly the Adobe RGB difference is visible again. Moving back the the BenQ, it looks like sRGB again. Also curiously, switching between the two on the BenQ in Preview, when I switch to the Adobe RGB image, it's almost like there's a split second where it looks correct before it suddenly looks like sRGB.

I can't for the life of me understand what's happening. If it were a display issue, then wouldn't it not look right in Quick Look or Photoshop on the BenQ? And if it were a Preview issue, wouldn't it not look right on the MacBook Pro? Soft proofing is off in Preview, and changing it to something else only shows a change on the MacBook Pro again, not on the BenQ. It's like Preview doesn't like AdobeRGB on the BenQ for some reason.
Open the file in PS and then select the different colour gamut using the hot key puck. Preset 1 and 2 I think. As it resets it says in the bottom right if you are viewing sRGB or RGB.
Other than that I'd also make sure you have calibrated both sRGB and RGB using a colorimeter and the Palette Master software. Otherwise they might not look correct.

Reactions: mollyc

JonD25

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 9, 2006
2 in fact!
[doublepost=1568409073][/doublepost]
Open the file in PS and then select the different colour gamut using the hot key puck. Preset 1 and 2 I think. As it resets it says in the bottom right if you are viewing sRGB or RGB.
Other than that I'd also make sure you have calibrated both sRGB and RGB using a colorimeter and the Palette Master software. Otherwise they might not look correct.

I'm not sure you're fully understanding the issue. Using the 1 and 2 presets on the puck doesn't really help. And in fact change my calibrated settings entirely (I've calibrated the BenQ with the Palette Master Elements software and my i1Display Pro for Adobe RGB and saved it on the "Calibration 1" preset). But even doing what you say, it doesn't fix what I'm seeing in Preview. And, again, Photoshop is not the issue, as I said that PS loads and shows the correct Adobe RGB colors in the image. It just seems like Preview isn't loading the correct color profile. Also, another weird thing, if I open Finder and navigate to the image and view it with Gallery view, the image looks correct until I pinch to zoom, then suddenly the color reverts back to what looks like sRGB.

I'm not sure if viewing this video will accurately show what's happening, but take a look. I know it's hard to see, but in the waves you can see how switching between the file with sRGB and Adobe RGB the blues and greens look much deeper. Then on the Adobe RGB file, if I zoom in it changes. But as I'm zooming in our out, it goes back to how it should until I release the zoom and it clicks back to less saturated. This is essentially what I'm seeing in Preview as well. In Photoshop, it only shows the deeper colors.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1svtzo6ynzaxj1y/Video Sep 13, 2 35 58 PM.mov?dl=0

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.