Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ralbuquerquec

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 3, 2017
I have a 21.5 late 2013 with the slim housing that I accidentally knocked out of my desk somehow and the screen is smashed.
I bought a new screen, installed it and when I was applying pressure to the top left to make sure the sticky stripes are securing the screen, I cracked the brand new screen. Why?
Because the top left was the first point of contact with the floor when it felt from the desk but I did not notice until I was almost done with the replacement.
Now I bought another screen but before installing it, I should somehow fix the housing.
Any suggestions?

All the help will be appreciated!

Last edited:

nambuccaheadsau

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2007
Blue Mountains NSW Australia
Sadly I would have advertised it for parts on eBay and such. The cost of the two screens and still problems that may or may not be fixable is approaching the value of the iMac. Did you inquire if your home contents covered accidental damage?

ralbuquerquec

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 3, 2017
Got the screens really cheap through a colleague.
Also, the computer was given to me for free when the hotel I work for renovated their stuff so when you think about it, so far, this mac has costed me gbp190...
The reason why I was looking for a suggestion on how to specifically repair the aluminum case is because I did not want to make a big conversation out of this thread. I am not a big fan oof forums as the conversations always go out of subject.

but I'll give you the context:
Fully operating cimputer, currently used for video editing with a new screen secured with duck tape, I really just wanted to know if anybody has even fixed an aluminum case before

But I really appreciate the attention given!

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
I have a 21.5 late 2013 with the slim housing that I accidentally knocked out of my desk somehow and the screen is smashed.
I bought a new screen, installed it and when I was applying pressure to the top left to make sure the sticky stripes are securing the screen, I cracked the brand new screen. Why?
Because the top left was the first point of contact with the floor when it felt from the desk but I did not notice until I was almost done with the replacement.
Now I bought another screen but before installing it, I should somehow fix the housing.
Any suggestions?

All the help will be appreciated!

Fixing the housing will be difficult you may have to buy another or accept the dent and subsequent gap.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.