Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

green86

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 27, 2007
North Carolina
Screen Shot 2017-08-27 at 8.12.15 PM.png

The stars aligned for me yesterday and I was fortunate enough to have $1500 to buy a new MacBook Pro. I initially was going to just go for this deal (second deal listed), but I was able to come up with a few hundred extra dollars. That said, I haven't found this listed on any deal website and I just stumbled upon it since BestBuy is my goto for 70% of my tech purchases.

I was able to find last years 2.9 Ghz Touch Bar MacBook Pro which they have discounted $300. Pretty on par with other deals, until you realize they are offering a $125 student discount on top of 300. This brings the prices of each down to:

(Click on either to get their respective BestBuy listings)

2.9 Ghz, 8 GB Memory, 256 GB SSD - 1,499 - 125 = $1374
2.9 Ghz, 8 GB Memory, 512 GB SSD - 1,699 - 125 = $1574

Both colors are available as well. All you have to do for the student discount is sign up for their newsletter. That is all. 5-10 minutes later you get an email with a link to a promo code. Not bad!

This is a particularly nice deal if you need 512 GB of space. I myself went with the 512 GB model and I'm super happy with the price. I was also considering Apple's education store discount + Beats. The models I was looking at were the 2.3 non-touch bar with either 16GB of RAM or 512 GB SSD, and it was going to be marginally more expensive. It may have even been a better value, technically, since the Beats Solo 3 are $300 from Apple (though I was able to find them for around $150 on eBay). I don't need the headphones, and I really, really, like that touch bar so this was the best route for me.

I just wanted to pass this along, hopefully some other readers will be able to take advantage of this deal!

Last edited:
Reactions: zephyr2095 and Tork

Saturn007

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2010
Good reasoning and helpful to many of us in the exact same situation!

My only reservation about the 2016 model -- and it's a big one -- is that the new 2017 model has a tweaked keyboard with better responsiveness! Several users and analysts have reported the change, although others are skeptical.

The other reservation I have is getting the Touch Bar. I find it distracting to see a flickering, changing set of keys or information in my peripheral vision. Yes, I know that one can fix them (at least to some extent), but the lack of physical function keys would take getting used to.

But all that's not to say that the deal isn't a good one or quite appealing -- especially if you ARE a student. (It's clearly meant for students, not just anyone who signs up or has a .edu email address.)

green86

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 27, 2007
North Carolina
Good reasoning and helpful to many of us in the exact same situation!

My only reservation about the 2016 model -- and it's a big one -- is that the new 2017 model has a tweaked keyboard with better responsiveness! Several users and analysts have reported the change, although others are skeptical.

The other reservation I have is getting the Touch Bar. I find it distracting to see a flickering, changing set of keys or information in my peripheral vision. Yes, I know that one can fix them (at least to some extent), but the lack of physical function keys would take getting used to.

But all that's not to say that the deal isn't a good one or quite appealing -- especially if you ARE a student. (It's clearly meant for students, not just anyone who signs up or has a .edu email address.)

I ended up returning mine for a 15" model. I do miss the 512 Gb of storage, but the 15" is better in every measurable way. I didn't like the TB when I first saw it but I eventually fell in love with it. As far as the keyboard, anecdotally, I didn't really feel a difference between the two models.

Beachguy

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2011
Florida, USA
I never saw a 2016, but I was at the Apple Store to pick up a new iPad and played with the 2017 MBPs they had out and the keyboard was repulsive. If that is improved over the 2016 model, it makes me shudder at the though.

green86

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 27, 2007
North Carolina
I never saw a 2016, but I was at the Apple Store to pick up a new iPad and played with the 2017 MBPs they had out and the keyboard was repulsive. If that is improved over the 2016 model, it makes me shudder at the though.
I have to admit that I kinda like the feel. Its the *sound* that gets me. It's just so loud.

green86

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 27, 2007
North Carolina
LOL! I don't even recall any sound at all! But, I have a case of Tinnitus and it drowns out a lot, especially in a noisy Apple store.

I have tinnitus as well. I've had it since birth, and I have trouble discerning individual sounds in a noisy environment.

The funny thing is, I didn't think it was loud until someone pointed it out. Now I think it's so loud its almost embarrassing!!!

Reactions: Beachguy

Beachguy

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2011
Florida, USA
I got my tinnitus from being in radio for a long time with loud monitors and headphones. That same time in radio (over 35 years) also taught me to tune out things so I am pretty well able to ignore it. It works really well when politicians open their yaps!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.