Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ascender

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 8, 2005
I've been doing a bit of searching on here but am coming up blank, possibly because its not a topic I've been keeping up to speed on, so its all a bit bewildering with the different resolutions available now and connectors.. 4K, 5K, HDMI, USB-C etc.

I'm replacing an 11" MBA and 27" LED Cinema Display with a 12" MacBook and some-kind-of-display.

I'm looking for something between 24" & 27" in size. I'm not doing photo editing or video work, so I'm just looking for a nice all-round display. A camera in it would be a bonus as I like to use my Mac in clamshell mode.

I'm based in the UK and would prefer to keep the cost under £500.

What's the recommended options? Thanks!

King Shady

macrumors 6502
Aug 22, 2010
San Jose, CA
Not sure the model number, but I know Dell makes 4K monitors in both 24 and 27 inch variants. I'll most likely be picking one up for myself pretty soon.

ascender

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 8, 2005
Is it worth getting a 4K monitor for the MacBook or are you better off with a 2560x1440 resolution one for general use unless you need the 4K resolution?

JTToft

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2010
Aarhus, Denmark
I would say your best option by far is a 4K USB-C monitor, such as the LG 27UD88-W. It gives you display signal, a 2-port USB-A hub, and power over that one USB-C cable. It eliminates any need for other adaptors or docks.

It does creep above £500, but it's a really convenient solution. Plus you're saving the cost of something like the Apple Multiport adaptor, which you would otherwise need.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.