Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 26, 2010
The 4K LG monitor was great, but it's impossible to buy right now. Any other options?

What 24 inches monitors are Mac Mini users using?

locovaca

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2002
Iowa

picpicmac

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2023
The 4K LG monitor
There are two currently listed on LG website: the old one (no USB), and the not-so-old one (has USB.)

Amazon had some of the old ones in stock last week. But they disappear regularly. LG's own website usually shows the old one out of stock.

No one seems to want 24" monitors anymore and they are getting difficult to find (other than 1080p for office work at cheap-ass business.)

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 26, 2010
Is QHD a good resolution for 24 inch monitor?

The LG ones are impossible to buy where I live. My only alternative are some QHD ones from Samsung and HP.

Kim Larni

macrumors member
Apr 6, 2020
Is QHD a good resolution for 24 inch monitor?

The LG ones are impossible to buy where I live. My only alternative are some QHD ones from Samsung and HP.
I use a 24" QHD Samsung monitor with my Mac Studio and I'm very happy with it.

Kim Larni

macrumors member
Apr 6, 2020
Could you post a picture of the screen with a website on it to see how good the PPI is?
The bigger picture is shot from 50cm distance. The smaller is from around 10 cm.

Attachments

• tempImageibijZG.png
    tempImageibijZG.png
    3.4 MB · Views: 123
  • tempImagerB1gGO.png
    tempImagerB1gGO.png
    8.3 MB · Views: 121
Reactions: Sensamic

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 26, 2010
The bigger picture is shot from 50cm distance. The smaller is from around 10 cm.
Thanks for the examples!

Have you owned any retina Macs before? How would you compare your actual monitor to those?

The Samsung I'm looking to maybe buy is the LS24A600UCUXEN. Is this the one you own? I'm also worried about the brightness, being 300 nits vs 500 nits in the iMacs.

Kim Larni

macrumors member
Apr 6, 2020
Thanks for the examples!

Have you owned any retina Macs before? How would you compare your actual monitor to those?

The Samsung I'm looking to maybe buy is the LS24A600UCUXEN. Is this the one you own? I'm also worried about the brightness, being 300 nits vs 500 nits in the iMacs.
I have only briefly tested an iMac with retina. Sure the picture is very good, but personally I don't like glossy screens. Retinas have better picture than no-retinas, but they come with a cost. I've got the LS24A600UCUXEN version, basically they are the same with the one you been looking at. My workspace is quite dark and have not had any issues with brightness. If I would have enough space on my desk I would have gone for a 4k 27" monitor.

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 26, 2010
I wish Apple sold a 24" version of the Apple Studio Display, actually -- basically that 4.5K display that in the M3 iMac but as a standalone.
That would be my dream. I'd love a Mini + 24 Studio Display. Best of both worlds IMO.
If you only want a 24 inch screen, buy an iMac. The Apple warranty and support covers everything.
I also want to be able to upgrade in the near future without spending a lot of money. The Mini is best for that, provided the monitor doesn't fail. Warranty here in Spain is 3 years, but after that any problems with an iMac would be a nightmare. It would be far easier to replace a Mini if necessary.

jdb8167

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2008
I have this one. It is 4k 24" for about 185 PPI which looks good enough for me. The stand is useless so I bought a VESA desk mount which works much better.

Reactions: picpicmac

Allen_Wentz

macrumors 68030
Dec 3, 2016
USA
The 4K LG monitor was great, but it's impossible to buy right now. Any other options?

What 24 inches monitors are Mac Mini users using?
There are lots of choices, pick what suits your setup, graphics needs and budget. Personally I cannot imagine ever having a 24" or 27" display again after growing to three 4K monitors. 32" seems ideal for me with 2-3 monitors, but folks with different eyes/apps might prefer a single even larger display. Mine are all Viewsonics.

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 26, 2010
Nah. All-in-ones mean you cannot upgrade/change/replace the display if you want to. And when it comes time to upgrade/change/replace the computer you throw away the display. The Mini rocks.
Yeah, that's why I want to go the Mini route, but the iMac has undoubtedly the best 24 inch screen of the market. I just can't find anything that comes close, and I work 8 hours a day with my computer, so I do need something sharp.

BanjoDudeAhoy

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2020
My work place issues 24” 1080p screens. Maybe I spoiled myself with my 27” 4K or the retina displays on MacBooks, but 1080p on 24” is quite rough and not particularly nice to look at for me anymore.

I’d go for 2560x1440 at that size with an IPS panel.

Reactions: picpicmac

fp99

macrumors newbie
Aug 27, 2021
I'm using the LG 32UP83A (which I got on sale recently for around $300) with my M1 Mac Mini. Connected via Thunderbolt cable from Cable Matters. Monitor does come with a power brick, probably due to the charging pass through. Be warned, the monitor size is big. I didn't realize how big it would be until it was delivered. Probably could have gone with 27 inch, but its grown on me.

Colors is great and it's factory calibrated.
Had issues with HDR (on Venture) until I upgraded to Sonoma (14.2).

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 26, 2010
By the way, what scale are you using on the Samsung? The recommended one? How does it look with the option just below the recommended one?

On my iMac I have the second scaling option to make things look a little bigger than normal. Could you show how does it look with this scaling option? I bet text looks even better.

Kim Larni

macrumors member
Apr 6, 2020
By the way, what scale are you using on the Samsung? The recommended one? How does it look with the option just below the recommended one?

On my iMac I have the second scaling option to make things look a little bigger than normal. Could you show how does it look with this scaling option? I bet text looks even better.
I use 2560 x 1439 @ 75.00Hz HiDPI. Text is sharp on the screen. I tested an app Better Display, and got those HiDPI options in the monitor settings. The HDR option works quite well too with this Samsung.

Attachments

• Näyttökuva 2024-1-18 kello 21.12.42.png
    Näyttökuva 2024-1-18 kello 21.12.42.png
    7.9 MB · Views: 74

Le Big Mac

macrumors 68030
Jan 7, 2003
Washington, DC
Nah. All-in-ones mean you cannot upgrade/change/replace the display if you want to. And when it comes time to upgrade/change/replace the computer you throw away the display. The Mini rocks.
My current frustration. My iMac screen is plenty good (though I know pretty dated), but as it's a 2015 the processing has just gotten way too slow.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.