Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macsplusmacs

macrumors 68030
Nov 23, 2014
We need a plug-in (only half-joking here) that will show a report once that page is loaded that will show what ad or cookie popup was removed by what safari plug-in.

BotchQue

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2019
Well, I feel like I have egg on my face. I've always been aware of "ad blockers", but have never really looked into one. I read thru the last couple pages of this thread, bought Wipr for $1.99, and am just tickled ten minutes later! It didn't stop ads during a EweTube watch, but wasn't really expecting that.
Thanks folks! :)

Reactions: macsplusmacs

ric22

Suspended
Mar 8, 2022
Well, I feel like I have egg on my face. I've always been aware of "ad blockers", but have never really looked into one. I read thru the last couple pages of this thread, bought Wipr for $1.99, and am just tickled ten minutes later! It didn't stop ads during a EweTube watch, but wasn't really expecting that.
Thanks folks! :)
Pay another $1.99 for Vinegar, and you'll get a better player than the Safari version of YouTube offers too. ?

Now you can watch YouTube Picture in Picture while doing other things.

Last edited:
Reactions: BotchQue

BotchQue

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2019
Pay another $1.99 for Vinegar, and you'll get a better player than the Safari version of YouTube offers too. ?
@ric22, Thank You! I did that this afternoon, and I've watched a few videos with nary a single IBM or other ad appear at all, effin' GREAT!
It doubled my software expenditures for the entire year (ramen for a few months now) but still worth it! ;)

Reactions: ric22

MLL63QNA

Cancelled
Mar 23, 2022
AdGuard stopped accepting beta testers, at least those old invite links says that theyre not accepting beta testers.

TitanTiger

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2009
I've used AdGuard for a while now and like it. Not as simple to use as UBlock Origin was, but probably the best for Safari with its restrictions on extensions.

revs

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2008
UK
I use Wipr, and recently started using Super Agent, on both iOS and Mac.
I can't tell if Super Agent works well or causes issues yet. Sometimes websites won't work, and it's because the cookie consent is hidden but not 'clicked'. Could well be an issue with Wipr or the Wipe/Super Agent combo.

macsplusmacs

macrumors 68030
Nov 23, 2014
We need a plug-in (only half-joking here) that will show a report once that page is loaded that will show what ad or cookie popup was removed by what safari plug-in.

Re-upping. Any devs know if making something like this is even possible with the current safari extension API?

ric22

Suspended
Mar 8, 2022
Thanks for mentioning StopTheMadness. I just read about it and decided to buy it. I hope it works well.
I'd never heard of it before either. It looks interesting. For those that have experience with it, what are your thoughts, please?

Reactions: blueeyes2die4

MLL63QNA

Cancelled
Mar 23, 2022
I would love to get StopTheMadness but it costs 8 euros, thats too steep to me, also would like to get Vinegar, but thats 2 more euros. 2 apps 10 euros, no thanks.

petvas

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2006
Munich, Germany
I would love to get StopTheMadness but it costs 8 euros, thats too steep to me, also would like to get Vinegar, but thats 2 more euros. 2 apps 10 euros, no thanks.
I guess a coffee is worth the money instead of an app that really helps every day and also doesn’t have a subscription model.

Reactions: WP31

Blue Hawk

macrumors 68000
Dec 18, 2017
Germany
I’m not sure if you really need Vinegar when you have StopTheMadness. I don’t have the first one anymore.

MLL63QNA

Cancelled
Mar 23, 2022
I guess a coffee is worth the money instead of an app that really helps every day and also doesn’t have a subscription model.

Dont you dare to touch my coffee ? Coffee is life, been drinking it before kindergarten.

I’m not sure if you really need Vinegar when you have StopTheMadness. I don’t have the first one anymore.

Does StopTheMadness have the option to set video quality to 1080p on YouTube on iOS when using via Safari.

• Haha
Reactions: Blue Hawk

Blue Hawk

macrumors 68000
Dec 18, 2017
Germany
Dont you dare to touch my coffee ? Coffee is life, been drinking it before kindergarten.

Does StopTheMadness have the option to set video quality to 1080p on YouTube on iOS when using via Safari.
Ok. You’re right. They have not. It’s just the simple HTML player.

Vinegar and Baking Soda are cheaper in bundle:

Attachments

• 4B01EA95-654F-4A3B-A1F8-DEA0CCAE2B57.png
    4B01EA95-654F-4A3B-A1F8-DEA0CCAE2B57.png
    919.1 KB · Views: 95

vetoes

macrumors regular
Oct 16, 2017
As it was mentioned before, I would as well mention StopTheMadness. It is my vote for the must have Safari extension, both iOS and MacOS. That should be Safari's default behaviour, you shouldn't need to install an app just so your webpages load properly.

Regarding Ad Blocker, I have had AdGuard, 1Blocker and Wipr. Best in terms of ad blocking would be AdGuard but I currently use Wipr.

coso

macrumors 65816
Feb 9, 2012
Vinegar is so totally worth it. No ads, no in video links etc., supports theater mode etc. Only thing, I don't think it supports subs yet, and different speeds

1BadManVan

macrumors 68040
Dec 20, 2009
Bc Canada
Question, do you need to have background app refresh enabled for these to work properly? I just downloaded Wipr and like it so far. Hopefully no battery drain as I’m a heavy user

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.