Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

triple-tap

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 18, 2013
Hey all,

I took advantage of BestBuy's sale on the iPad Air smart covers, and mine is shipping this week. Can someone point me in the direction of a good hard case for the rear of the iPad? I am looking for something that will work in conjunction with the Smart Cover and preferably lock the Smart Cover against the iPad.

If the case had a magnet on the rear (to keep the case tight against the back when opened), it would be perfect.

Thanks in advance.

Cancelled
Nov 13, 2012
Hey all,

I took advantage of BestBuy's sale on the iPad Air smart covers, and mine is shipping this week. Can someone point me in the direction of a good hard case for the rear of the iPad? I am looking for something that will work in conjunction with the Smart Cover and preferably lock the Smart Cover against the iPad.

If the case had a magnet on the rear (to keep the case tight against the back when opened), it would be perfect.

Thanks in advance.
I like -- almost love -- the Luvvitt Dolce TPU back cover. The fit is pretty good, there's a bit of looseness on the bottom around the charger port, but it's acceptable for a $10 thing I think. Exactly the same product as the Kayscase Premium Slim Soft Gel TPU Cover Case in my experience (I tried several colors between the two brands before settling on the transparent gray) right down to the fake ipad laminated cardboard insert they ship with, except Luvvitt has a small, unobtrusive logo on the back lower center vs Kayscase large "tilted-K-in-a-box" logo on the bottom corner of theirs. Kays is also a weird company, the few times I've ordered from them they've sent pleas for feedback and an expired coupon code for 25% off my next Kayscase purchase. At any rate, these TPU backs cover most of what you want protected, the magnet almost, but honestly pretty weakly, keeps it in place unless you flop the ipad around, and the bottom is a bit flimsy.

There's nothing as good as with the original Air -- you had several big brands like Belkin, Incipio, and SwitchEasy making smart-cover compatible shells, and my favorite, the Monoprice #1094 PC Soft Touch Cover for iPad Air, with a smart cover cutout. Cheap and slim and matched the black smart cover exactly. They've just released an iPad air 2 version without cover cutout (12689) and with a higher price tag.

STC

macrumors 6502a
May 14, 2008
I love the Luvvitt cases. I had a frost (clear) one I've had for almost a yr and just recently got a small blue ink stain on it.

I couldn't get it out, so I bought a smoke Luvvitt. After a day I didn't like that, so I bought a blue Kayscase. I didn't like it either, so ended up ordering a frost Luvvitt again. Should be here in a few days.

Now I'm stuck w/ the smoke Luvvitt and blue Kayscase. Anyone interested in buying them? I posted in the Marketplace.

memorygirl

macrumors member
Mar 1, 2011
I love the Luvvitt cases. I had a frost (clear) one I've had for almost a yr and just recently got a small blue ink stain on it.

I couldn't get it out, so I bought a smoke Luvvitt. After a day I didn't like that, so I bought a blue Kayscase. I didn't like it either, so ended up ordering a frost Luvvitt again. Should be here in a few days.

Now I'm stuck w/ the smoke Luvvitt and blue Kayscase. Anyone interested in buying them? I posted in the Marketplace.

Can you point me to the Marketplace? I might be interested.

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
Right now I'm using the Power Support Air Jacket Duet but I've been waiting for Apple to release the Silicone Case for the Air 2 after they released one for the mini 4 and now that they just released it also for the Pro last week. The Air 2 is the only iPad not to have an official Apple silicone case yet and I'm getting frustrated waiting for when it will be released. I'm just hoping they won't make us wait until next year for the iPad Air 3. :oops:

ecschwarz

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2010
Anyone have any idea why almost all of these cases and the hard plastic shells have disappeared off of Amazon and other places?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.