Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
Now that I finally have my set-up as I want it, no fumbling around for cables, moving stuff around etc. I need an AirPrint capable printer / scanner combo.

No amount of fiddling with apps etc. is going to make my (perfectly serviceable) Epson print on the network properly.

Looking for something around about £150.00 that I can put in another room, reclaiming the desk space where it sits now.

All suggestions welcome.

Last edited:

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
Do you want laser or ink-jet? We just got an HP 1536DNF for our house. It's an all-in-one laser printer (scan/fax/copy/print). Very easy to set up and works perfectly so far.

Pros - 2-sided printing; fast start-up time; fast print speed; color scanning (not yet tested)

Cons - requires ethernet - no wifi; unit is tall, even with a small footprint

I'm not sure what the UK version of this is called.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jul 29, 2011
Do you want laser or ink-jet? We just got an HP 1536DNF for our house. It's an all-in-one laser printer (scan/fax/copy/print). Very easy to set up and works perfectly so far.

Pros - 2-sided printing; fast start-up time; fast print speed; color scanning (not yet tested)

Cons - requires ethernet - no wifi; unit is tall, even with a small footprint

I'm not sure what the UK version of this is called.

It's got to be wifi, and AirPrint capable....There must be more than the two HP's listed on Apple's site..It's the AirPrint side of things I really need....And a decent print resolution...Something that will print well on glossy photo paper.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
It's got to be wifi, and AirPrint capable....There must be more than the two HP's listed on Apple's site..It's the AirPrint side of things I really need....And a decent print resolution...Something that will print well on glossy photo paper.

Sounds like you want an inkjet with wifi. Good new for you, most, if not all, of the Airprint inkjets are wifi capable.

HP has way more than 2 models (note - I'm not sure what's available in the UK vs. the US).

Canon and Espon also have Airprint inkjets now.

Frosticus

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2010
Bristol, UK
Got a HP Photosmart Wireless All-in-One when I bought my iMac. It's cheap and works pretty well with Airprint. Scanning/copying is good too. Consumables aren't too expensive either.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jul 29, 2011
http://store.apple.com/uk/product/H7313B/A/epson-stylus-sx535wd-airprint-printer

It says on the Apple website it's AirPrint capable. You can get it at Pcworld For around £70. I'm probably going to buy one this week.

That looks just the job....It's actually a couple of models up from the one I have now....£70.00? Yes, (£149.00) no! I hate PC World, but might have to make an exception unless I can find it for that price elsewhere....Thanks for the info! :)

----------

Hmm...Apple say it's AirPrint capable, PC world don't mention it in the specs...I will ring them...It's gone down to £67.99 delivered. I know some HP models have the same product number but not all are AirPrint enabled. I will check. If it is, then I'll grab one.

thedon1

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2010
I think (not 100% though) that a firmware update enables AirPrint.

If you get an answer from PC world let me know please.

RMo

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2007
Iowa, USA
Sounds like you want an inkjet with wifi. Good new for you, most, if not all, of the Airprint inkjets are wifi capable.

Umm ... aren't all AirPrint printers, by definition/requirement, WiFi capable?

(Not sure why, since I'd love for them to use a more standard protocol and enable printing to any network printer...)

skorpien

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2008

(Not sure why, since I'd love for them to use a more standard protocol and enable printing to any network printer...)

I'm not sure if it is the case, but AirPrint printers do not have to be Wi-Fi capable or enabled. They just have to be a network printer.

If you're using an iOS device, then you would need to have a wireless network to use Wi-Fi. Any printer connected to that network, whether via Wi-Fi or wired, would work for AirPrint if it is AirPrint capable.

For example, I have an HP 6500A Plus AirPrint printer. I can connect it to my router via Ethernet and completely disable the wireless radio on it, yet because my network is wireless and it is an AirPrint printer, any iOS device on my network can print to it.

It could just be the case that the manufacturers only deem it worthwhile to add AirPrint to their Wi-Fi models.

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
I think (not 100% though) that a firmware update enables AirPrint.

If you get an answer from PC world let me know please.

You have got it right, some Epson printers can be upgraded via firmware to support AirPrint. I purchased an Epson Artisan 837, a firmware update enabled AirPrint. It works brilliantly with it. But check this table, to see which Epson printers are actually AirPrint upgradable.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast

I'm not sure if it is the case, but AirPrint printers do not have to be Wi-Fi capable or enabled. They just have to be a network printer.

Skorpien is correct. The Airprint "protocol" doesn't require wifi. The printer only needs to be connected to the wifi network. In fact, the Airprint beta allowed for any printer that was connected to a networked Mac to function as an Airprint printer.

The printer that I have is an AIO laser printer that only has ethernet. I print to the printer wirelessly from the iPad, but the printer is wired to the router.

I was referring to inkjet printers. I don't think I've seen any Airprint inkjets that weren't wifi. I know of at least one Airprint laser that doesn't have wifi.

Aside - HP's printers that have Airprint functionality also support HP's ePrint feature. Basically, this will allow for mobile printing to your printer from anywhere. I haven't used it, but I think it basically works by sending the printer a PDF file via email, then the printer will just print it. So you could be at work and print something at home.

driftless

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2011
Chicago-area
I have one of the new Epson AirPrint all-in-one's which replaced a HP that was over a decade old. I love the new Epson all though I am not sure how much I will use AirPrint from my iOS devices.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.