Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brsilb

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2018
I'm going to give Mountain Duck a look. I do wonder what @brsilb was using.

But, I don't think they would ever prioritize graph.microsoft.com. But there's a chance they would deprioritize it's usage accessing OneDrive over its own native usage. But, it's a stretch. Also, the performance is so bad that there's got to be something else going on.

I might try disabling IPv6 on my network temporarily and try with IPv4. Comcast had some issues the other day that disabled my IPv6 for a short while. Perhaps there are some lingering IPv6 issues at my place.
used both QSpace and Forklift with same result.

svenmany

macrumors demi-god
Jun 19, 2011
used both QSpace and Forklift with same result.
You said it worked well with Finder. How were you testing that? Did you have OneDrive mounted (showing as a disk on your desktop, for example) and use it as an external drive? Or did you use Finder to copy your content to a folder that the OneDrive application synchronizes?

P.S. I want to get to the bottom of this before I contact QSpace tech support.

svenmany

macrumors demi-god
Jun 19, 2011
Caveat:My knowledge as a developer is many decades(!) out of date. It is relatively easy to get something going with OneDrive (via graph.microsoft.com) to give basic functionality. But it takes some effort to get reasonable performance (in the sense of MB/s) - e.g. it needs multiple data streams.

In terms of MB/s performance, my experience as a user is with Arq Backup (with OneDrive as cloud storage) and GoodSync (scheduled sync local folder with OneDrive folder). Both to my mind have reasonable performance, but I am seldom wanting to send/receive large quantities of data. I have seen no sign of them being throttled.

My use of Mountain Duck is as an alternative to the MS OneDrive sync. It has a file cache (can be on external drive) and presents your OneDrive as an NFS volume. The advantage of NFS is that it is an in-built file system that does not require any kext or third-party system extension. I have never had the need (big file changes) to investigates its MB/s performance.

Thanks for that. I downloaded Mountain Duck to test. They gave me 10 minutes before it quit. I had some permission problems with it and couldn't manage my test in the time I had. Then I restarted the app and couldn't get it to display the UI anymore. I might request a trial license. It really seems a very capable app. It's a bit expensive, but I might buy it; it does open up a lot of doors.

brsilb

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2018
You said it worked well with Finder. How were you testing that? Did you have OneDrive mounted (showing as a disk on your desktop, for example) and use it as an external drive? Or did you use Finder to copy your content to a folder that the OneDrive application synchronizes?

P.S. I want to get to the bottom of this before I contact QSpace tech support.
Had OneDrive connected via its Mac App. Just copied files to its folder and it worked fine. No throttling as it uploaded files.

svenmany

macrumors demi-god
Jun 19, 2011
Had OneDrive connected via its Mac App. Just copied files to its folder and it worked fine. No throttling as it uploaded files.

I see. So Finder is no different than QSpace and ForkLift? You could copy to that OneDrive folder using those tools and it should go just as fast.

mackarone

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2008
Does anyone know a Finder alternative that allows assigning different finder windows to different Spaces? Like: each Space has its own finder windows?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.