Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HUGE AL

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 4, 2010
I know there is a thread in the regular iOS forum, but it's kind of...noisy...and it refers to the regular app in the App Store...

Have the old jailbroken ProTube/ProTube HD app that is slowly losing functionality (plays videos about 50% of the time...otherwise, a force stream is necessary).

Came across:

ProTube 2 removed from App Store + Top 3 Alternatives - Yalu Jailbreak

Does anyone have experience with these? Any other suggestions that work similarly to the jailbroken ProTube?

braddick

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2009
Encinitas, CA
PocketTube is the best kept secret in the iTunes app store. As mentioned in another thread: I am seriously surprised it hasn't been pulled yet. Looks terrific and is so much easier to use- for downloading music or video- and keeping it on your iPhone than ProTube.

chestvrg

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2010
I’m using YouTube++ I side loaded from TUTUAPP I got the VIP version of the app to avoid adds, so far I like it. I’m able to download videos and save them to the camera roll.

HUGE AL

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 4, 2010
PocketTube is the best kept secret in the iTunes app store. As mentioned in another thread: I am seriously surprised it hasn't been pulled yet. Looks terrific and is so much easier to use- for downloading music or video- and keeping it on your iPhone than ProTube.

This is just a music app, correct? Looks like I can only search and download music, not other regular YouTube videos.

I’m using YouTube++ I side loaded from TUTUAPP I got the VIP version of the app to avoid adds, so far I like it. I’m able to download videos and save them to the camera roll.

What is the highest resolution you can download? Any differences pro or con vs. ProTube?

Perene

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2015
Netherealm
As far as I know there are no good alternatives that remove ads and offer background playback anywhere.

The Evercast app * apparently does both, yet I removed from my device because I noticed it has a lag while trying to play any video. This may or may not happen, but it's always happening (at least with me) and for that reason the app is unusable since when this is the case the video simply does not load after several seconds.

* https://itunes.apple.com/br/app/evercast-assista-vídeo/id665446587?mt=8

This is a bug that has never been fixed.

I was able to use a Youtube app with background playback + dark mode + no ads, from this site:
https://www.tweakboxapp.com/ (instructions there)

My device doesn't have any jailbreak, and uses last iOS version. The only required thing was to install some certificates. It's working. I don't know the exact name of the app (it's also called Youtube), only that it's not Youtube++.

I had to remove the official Youtube app due to seeing annoying ads in every single video I clicked. Honestly I took more time closing these ads than doing anything else. It's sad how bad this thing has become.

P.S. The app I am using is limited to 1080p, like all others. And it can't download any video. For downloads I use this one:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/total-files/id557285579?mt=8

HUGE AL

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 4, 2010
I'm actually cool with it. Back in the day, people used to get flamed for not searching and keeping all the info of a specific topic in one thread as it could be helpful to others. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.