Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hotwire132002

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 24, 2004
Cadillac, MI
I'm in the market for an analog to digital converter. Right now, I'm using an old Canon ZR60 to bring in my analog sources, but it's on the verge of dying and I'm looking at buying a dedicated converter. I wondered if anyone had some suggestions as to what converter to use.

I'd prefer a PCI card, but a firewire box is OK too. I should note that I need a bidirectional converter--I need to be able to bring video in through it, and send video out to a TV (I use an NTSC monitor while editing.)

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

Espnetboy3

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2003
I have one i got from ebuyer last summer called videa bus 2. It came with software for the pc only :( and worked pretty well.

anniesdomains

macrumors newbie
Jun 20, 2005
here
Hmmm why not use an ipod?

I just posted about the idea of using an ipod as a NAGRA or DAT recorder. Why not get a BELKIN adapter for external microphones and simply use a cable from Radio Shack and connect the analog player into the Belkin adapter and then record the sound into the ipod as a WAV file. Then connect the ipod to your powerbook or powermac and upload it into your itunes. From there use whatever software's available (hopefully Final Cut Pro) and start editing your sound?

Just a thought.

hotwire132002

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 24, 2004
Cadillac, MI
anniesdomains said:
I just posted about the idea of using an ipod as a NAGRA or DAT recorder. Why not get a BELKIN adapter for external microphones and simply use a cable from Radio Shack and connect the analog player into the Belkin adapter and then record the sound into the ipod as a WAV file. Then connect the ipod to your powerbook or powermac and upload it into your itunes. From there use whatever software's available (hopefully Final Cut Pro) and start editing your sound?

Just a thought.

Maybe I wasn't clear, but I need to bring in/out video, rather than just audio. Nice thought, though. :)

jbeetz

macrumors member
Jan 8, 2004
I have the Canopus external box... it's always worked fine, iMovie sees the box as if it were a camera. A bit confusing hookup is my only beef.

idea_hamster

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2003
NYC, or thereabouts
I use Miglia's Take Two as well. Found it to be far superior to Formac Studio box.

Unfortunately, I'm not sure that the Take Two is available retail in the US anymore. Rumor has it that it was pulled due to legal liability since it can (or at least it tries to) crack DVD encryption.

Quality is good enough to copy from VHS. Not sure about Beta.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.