Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SD449

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 6, 2012
I purchased a HomePod and one of the things I am most impressed with is the automation of my home now its acting as a home hub. This could be the reason why 1 of the 2 I have brought is kept.

However would I be better with an Apple TV 4k or a iPad (Cheap or 2nd Hand)?

I personally have no use for an Apple TV as my Samsung TV has 4k Apps built in and is a lot easier than using the Siri Remote and I don't think I have any interested in the other Apps at this current time.

I would like a new iPad but I think I would end up going for a Pro 12.9" and that then becomes VERY expensive.

I have an original iPad Mini but I assume this wouldn't work as it can no longer be updated to the latest OS.

Any other options I haven't considered?

wesley96

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2009
If you need a device only to act as a HomeKit hub, then the most hassle-free and effective (both cost and signal range) way to go is to pick up a (used?) Apple TV 4. You don't even need the 4K version. I tried using an iPad Pro as a hub and as tomislavf says it needs to be kept plugged in, and the range wasn't quite as good. And yes, the original iPad mini can't be used as a hub. I have that too, so I have a first-hand confirmation of that.

Reactions: SD449
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.