Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I have the og razr which was my personal phone before my work got me a 4S. I was really torn between it and the nexus at the time. Samsung has always had week radios which is obviously important in a phone. I really liked it a lot. However it seems a little wider then it needs to be vs the competition.

Aside from that I love it. Moto has great hardware. Worked like a champ, I would have random issues but no more then my current 4S.

Anyway so I'd recommend the Maxx.

b24pgg

macrumors 65816
Jan 28, 2009
CA
There's no "best" Android device because it depends what features are important to you. Things like screen size, screen resolution, physical keyboard, locked/unlocked bootloader, developer community activity, build quality, battery life, etc. are all factors.

What features are most important for you?

einmusiker

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2010
If I may... I think what the op means is the best android phone from an iphone users perspective? I would also be curious to know what the mac/iphone community thinks is the best android phone that relates to the quality of iphone?

M5RahuL

macrumors 68040
Aug 1, 2009
TeXaS
I absolutely LOVE my Razr Max on VZW and switch between the 4S and Sammy Galaxy SII on Sprint. The Galaxy S2 is an amazing device too!!

If you must switch asap, def. consider the Razr Max!

Walter Bell

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 25, 2010
If I may... I think what the op means is the best android phone from an iphone users perspective? I would also be curious to know what the mac/iphone community thinks is the best android phone that relates to the quality of iphone?

This man gets what I'm saying! I want to leave AT&T, lock in the 10GB/$50 which requires a 4G phone. Since android is my only choice, what would other iPhone people pick up?

Razr maxx otw!

Kev052683

macrumors member
Apr 11, 2007
I just switched over to Verizon from AT&T this past weekend. Not the best timing with iPhone 5 in October(ish), Galaxy S3 some time soon, etc., but I can only assume I'll just pay full price for a phone later in the year.

When I switched over, the Nexus had caught my eye. I've had an iPhone since the original, and it was/is getting a bit old/boring. The Nexus had a bigger screen, completely customizable and just looked absolutely beautiful. With ICS involved, I wanted to give it a go. It's Wednesday, and I'm back on an iPhone.

The Nexus software is awesome. There are literally limitless possibilities on customizing this phone for yourself with widgets, live wallpaper and the App drawer. With the iPhone... change your wallpaper if you want to customize. I chose the Nexus just because it was considered the "Vanilla" ICS, and Verizon/Samsung didn't bloat down the OS with additional stuff.

However, the radio antenna was absolutely horrible. I never had a signal when I was in a building, and this is my PHONE. This thing makes an unbelievable pocket computer, but when I require a phone for work and this thing can't make a phone call, it's useless to me.

Long story short, wait for the SGS3 if you can and see what it has to offer. I'm going to look at the SGS3, the iPhone 5 and the next Nexus and see what they have to offer when they come out.

pooleman

Suspended
Jan 11, 2012
Eastern CT
2012-01-15_16-21-19_9971.jpg

Best Android I've seen.

JasonR

macrumors 6502a
Nov 11, 2008
I absolutely LOVE my Razr Max on VZW and switch between the 4S and Sammy Galaxy SII on Sprint. The Galaxy S2 is an amazing device too!!

If you must switch asap, def. consider the Razr Max!

Are you on contract on all lines?

I really want to switch between my iPhone 4S and Razr Maxx...but don't want to be in ANOTHER contract. lol

silversun

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2011
Currently, I haven't seen any phone better than Galaxy S2 in term of performance, followed is Galaxy Nexus or whatever Samsung flagship is. Samsung is the best Android phone manufacturer in my opinion, I hate their design though:D
I dont know about Droid Razr Maxx but the normal one lags a lot:p. The screen use Pentile matrix so I dont like it either:D.

Dmunjal

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2010
Verizon: RAZR MAXX
AT&T: Samsung SkyRocket

ICS just leaked for the SkyRocket yesterday and it looks great.

M5RahuL

macrumors 68040
Aug 1, 2009
TeXaS
Are you on contract on all lines?

I really want to switch between my iPhone 4S and Razr Maxx...but don't want to be in ANOTHER contract. lol

Yeah, but Sprint and AT&T are business lines and VZW is my personal..

I really like the 4S [ except the Slow Network :p ] .. If I had to choose between the 4S and the Maxx, I'd keep the iPhone for reliability/stability [ of the OS not service ] Android is fun, and has come a long way.. but it doesn't feel complete or as tightly knit as the iOS. And, it's not because it's not as simple as iOS [ I've always been a Nokia lover, so coming from Symbian, Android was easy as cake ]... I just wouldn't feel confident carrying an Android as my solo device!

Dmunjal

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2010
Buy a Skyrocket on CL for about $300 and swap SIMs between the 4S and Skyrocket. Right now, it's the only ICS phone on ATT LTE. Except the HTC Vivid but that phone sucks.

JasonR

macrumors 6502a
Nov 11, 2008
Yeah, but Sprint and AT&T are business lines and VZW is my personal..

I really like the 4S [ except the Slow Network :p ] .. If I had to choose between the 4S and the Maxx, I'd keep the iPhone for reliability/stability [ of the OS not service ] Android is fun, and has come a long way.. but it doesn't feel complete or as tightly knit as the iOS. And, it's not because it's not as simple as iOS [ I've always been a Nokia lover, so coming from Symbian, Android was easy as cake ]... I just wouldn't feel confident carrying an Android as my solo device!

Good to know, thanks!

mbell1975

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2012
I picked up a Galaxy Note a few days ago. It's the 7th Android phone I have owned and one of the best. Just as good ad the Galaxy S2 but bigger.

cdmoore74

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
I have a Galaxy Nexus but I only recommend it to hackers and people not afraid to root. It's the only way to unleash it's full potential. Otherwise I'd say wait. Getting so close to HTC one and Samsung Galaxy S3 but I'm not sure if their coming to Verizon. As for Motorola I personally do not trust them. They placed Android on the map with the original Droid and Droid X but everything after that never lived up to the same reputation. I'm waiting for the Verizon Samsung Note "aka Journal" because once you get the taste of big screen phones the thirst does not stop.
I would say wait for the iPhone 5 but I have this feeling it's not going to be a hit. If Apple increases the screen they have to increase the resolution resulting in more power requirements (look no further than ipad 3). And with LTE and the current A5 your going to see a bigger phone with a larger battery. Option 2 would be to keep the same old 3.5 inch display and add LTE but you still need a larger battery thus increasing the size of the phone. Many people are getting tired of that 3.5 inch display and I don't see LTE saving the day. And let's not forget that iOS is old in the tooth. How many times can you add small incremental features before the entire experience gets boring.

treyjustice

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2009
TX
I'm currently using a galaxy nexus as well ^

I like it but I agree you must root and trying out different rome and kernels to make it worth while. I still prefer my iPhone 4s though.... I also have played with the rzr and it is nice. Surprisingly thin!

edit: I disagree with the big screen thing. I like a big screen but I like my iPhone screen just as much as a bigger in fact sometimes I like it more. If I need a bigger screen I just use my iPad

Walter Bell

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 25, 2010
After much back and forth I have decided to cancel the razr maxx transfer. Unfortunately I played with a galaxy note and it's all I want now. The screen is amazing! Will post when I pick it up tomorrow.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.