Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Best phone of 2023

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 24, 2021
So we are at the end of 2023 and it is time for best phone of the year in the Android world.

I included iPhone in the poll because this is a Apple centric site and wanted to be fair. But this is mainly to see what people think is the best Android phone of the year.

My vote is the Pixel 8 Pro.

edubfromktown

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2010
East Coast, USA
Coin toss between Pixel 8 Pro and S23+/U in my opinion. I like the slightly smaller form factor of P8P and S23+

Pixel: camera and app, streamlined update process and 7 years of support, absence of bloatware and overall app integration

Samsung: better hardware, raw performance, mobile radio signal quality, faster charging and battery runtime. Secure Folder app & data encryption/containerization/sandboxing and Pro camera integration with Lightroom are both really nice.

The dupe apps on Samsung are a pain. I went to the time and trouble of disabling many using adb.

Pixel still heats up under continuous use though not to the same extent as 6's and 7's

deep1

macrumors 6502
Mar 29, 2011
I have owned and used 15 pro max, S23 ultra, Google pixel 8 pro and currently using Samsung Z fold 5 and it is best phone for me this year, my first foldable ever and loving it.

Reactions: Technerd108

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
I own a Pixel Fold and iPhone 15 PM. So of course my vote is going to be for the OnePlus Open. 😂

Best foldable (sorry, don’t include any of the Chinese OEMs not available in the US) hardware and form factor and a camera that purportedly is better than the standard OnePlus fair. It was the only non-Pixel/iPhone/Galaxy Ultra to place in MKBHD’s camera shootout.

If I was making a fresh choice for an Android Phone right now, it would be my pick.

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 24, 2021
I own a Pixel Fold and iPhone 15 PM. So of course my vote is going to be for the OnePlus Open. 😂

Best foldable (sorry, don’t include any of the Chinese OEMs not available in the US) hardware and form factor and a camera that purportedly is better than the standard OnePlus fair. It was the only non-Pixel/iPhone/Galaxy Ultra to place in MKBHD’s camera shootout.

If I was making a fresh choice for an Android Phone right now, it would be my pick.
This is an international website with people in regions where Chinese OEM phones like Xiaomi, Umidigi, Ulephone, ZTE, Nubia, Honor, etc.

If anyone wants to include any model as their best phone of 2023 it is fair game to add your vote. I only ask you give brand, model, and main feature/s that make it your choice.

Privacy/Security/Compatibility issues set aside for a minute the Chinese smartphone space is pretty amazing and full of innovation. I also think the people who use these phones should be respected and represented regardless of the political tensions and issues regarding the tech. Let's just look at the technology.

I am excited for the Pixel fold 2. The Pixel fold is great. It just needs a Tensor G3/4 and it would be perfect.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
This is an international website with people in regions where Chinese OEM phones like Xiaomi, Umidigi, Ulephone, ZTE, Nubia, Honor, etc.

If anyone wants to include any model as their best phone of 2023 it is fair game to add your vote. I only ask you give brand, model, and main feature/s that make it your choice.

Privacy/Security/Compatibility issues set aside for a minute the Chinese smartphone space is pretty amazing and full of innovation. I also think the people who use these phones should be respected and represented regardless of the political tensions and issues regarding the tech. Let's just look at the technology.

I am excited for the Pixel fold 2. The Pixel fold is great. It just needs a Tensor G3/4 and it would be perfect.
Wasn’t making any commentary on Chinese OEMs in this poll, just commenting that I have no way to compare as they’re not even viewable as demos here so can’t honestly place them amongst my personal comparison.

Heat_Fan89

macrumors 68030
Feb 23, 2016
It’s kind of weird seeing an iPhone in an Android vote poll. 🧐 For me my vote goes for the 8 Pro although the best value would be the Pixel 8 if you can’t get any discounts. Although the Pixel 8a will be an intriguing product next year.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Currently own a Fold 4, so I don't have personal experience with any of the 2023 phones.

And as much as I would like to choose the Fold 5, I don't think it warrants being a top contender given Samsung punted this year and prioritized the Flip version. But if I was to choose the best Android phone, I'd have to go with the OnePlus Open... because it checks off all the boxes that I want in a smartphone.

I like what OnePlus did with the hardware... if I could have Samsung GoodLock features it would solidify it for me. But I like what they did with the Canvas multitasking as well as with the dock. Has a more usable outer display and the added mute switch is dope. OnePlus Open camera can keep up with the flagships and I'm looking forward to what happens next year in the foldable space.

robvalentine

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2014
I'm torn between P8P and S23+. For the camera & UI P8P everything else S23+. I use camera a lot for my dog, and camera is important, the 23+ is a bit hit and miss, the 3 x digi zoom is better on pixel than the 3x optical on the s23+. Lower spec camera tbf.

It's a shame the s24 is going exynos

Annv

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2019
Not the best of 2023, but Moto G54 is a good phone with an almost vanilla Android, a headphone jack, and an IPS screen.

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 24, 2021
Not the best of 2023, but Moto G54 is a good phone with an almost vanilla Android, a headphone jack, and an IPS screen.
There is no wrong choice. If Moto G54 is best phone of the year for you then it deserves a spot on the list!

Reactions: Annv

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 24, 2021
I am seeing a trend develop or a pattern to the poll so far. A couple of choices are leading. I would love to see more results and some other brands Like Asus Zenphone or Rogphone? Any Red Magic gamers??

Anyway, it is fun to see everyone's opinions and what they consider a feature that set's their phone apart.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.