Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

illustratorDavi

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 7, 2004
North Yorkshire
Hi

I'm finishing an animation which I need to burn to DVD for a client.

Flash gives me the option of saving quicktime files with different resolutions. I'm thinking 800 x 600 but it appeared really pixelly in imovie.

I've just bought toast 6 which allows you to drop a quicktime file straight into Toast and it then converts it to DVD.

I'm wondering if anyone can suggest a good resolution to render the movie in?

Thanks
David

H&Kie

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2004
The standard resolution for DVD is 720 x 576 pixels, so 800x600 should do the trick.
For myself, when I doubt the quality of a movie or whatever I want to play on a TV/DVD set, I burn the files on a DVD-RW first. In most cases the quality is better on TV than it seems on my computerscreen. Sure the fact my monitor has higher resolution than my TV and the distance from what you watch your TV (lots more than from where you look at my monitor) will play a role.

Good luck

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
Highest quality settings unless you HAVE TO step them down. Export it from Flash at high-quality, drop it onto Toast, and don't worry about, "Will it look good?"

If you must step down the quality....
1024x768 is currently my video resolution on a 12" PowerBook. Increase it to something higher than that for a safe buffer. Normal TVs will look OK, HDTVs won't IIRC.... not sure on HDTV resolution but normal TVs have a lesser resolution than most computers made in the last 8 years at least.

evil_santa

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2003
London, England
Work at the final TV resolution, 720x576. This way the output file won't get scaled down when when getting encoded to DVD. Avoid 1px lines & very fine type, they will look fine on your computers monitor, but will flicker when displayed on TV.
If the job is for broadcast you might want to deliver it as a uncompressed .mov or a tiff sequence, as MPEG2 uses quite a lot of compression.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.