Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca
JB'd iPad of course..

I asked a few days ago about how purchasing apps in Cydia works and am ready to purchase my first one...

I need a good app that makes any app on my iPad accessible only through having a password. My GF likes to grab my iPad and go through the photos app, or my OmniFocus app to see what I have going on for the day; along with the Calendar app.

It may be easier to replace my GF but I know the app could come in handy too.

mAvdlock or something named like that exists, along with locktopus and lockdown...etc.

I'm hoping here someone could shed some light on the matter as I really need an app that'll allow me to restrict access to certain apps on my iPad.

& considering the other thread I started asking how purchasing apps in cydia worked, I'd love for the app to be compatible too with my iPod Touch...but it doesn't have to be.

Ksane

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2010
MadvLock is $15, I think that's ridiculous he charges that much. iProtect seems to be the one most are happy with. I don't have a password program but I do have my Mail icon set to 'hidden' in CatagoriesSB and the only way to get my mail to open is a specific swipe I have set up in Activator.
The girlfriend needs to chill out and learn to respect your privacy no matter WHAT you're doing lol My husband's way too scared he'd break my iPad or something if he used it, and he knows how much it means to me so he just won't touch it. Course we've been married 22 yrs, too :)

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca
Locktopus is only $2 and am hearing great reviews. Thanks guys! I'll most likely purchase it tomorrow afternoon. Plus it's iPad compatible and does multitasking for when 4.2 comes in a month.

(smiles)

moebius

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2007
Don't you think that locking some applications could be a good indication that you are hiding something from her?

In a way you are confirming her paranoia, becoming more "private prone" will only increase her will to go over your stuff.

My 2 cents.

ReallyBigFeet

macrumors 68030
Apr 15, 2010
Why do you want a GF you can't trust? Or what do you have to worry about hiding from her?

Life's too short to wear different personalities depending on the circumstances. Just be yourself and eject people from your life who can't accept you for who you are.

ngenerator

macrumors 68000
May 12, 2009
USG Ishimura
Trust me, as a person who recently got rid of a fiance who exhibited similar tendancies as your gf does, I think it's much easier just to get the "Freedom" App. It's not available in Cydia, but it comes with the free bonus in-app add ons of "I have more $ now" and "What on earth was I thinking?". ;)

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca
Don't you think that locking some applications could be a good indication that you are hiding something from her?

In a way you are confirming her paranoia, becoming more "private prone" will only increase her will to go over your stuff.

My 2 cents.

I am hiding stuff from her! Mainly photos of previous gfs, of which she's seem a few and wants me to delete....but no way Jose. (her names not Jose)

Why do you want a GF you can't trust? Or what do you have to worry about hiding from her?

Life's too short to wear different personalities depending on the circumstances. Just be yourself and eject people from your life who can't accept you for who you are.

..but the sex. It's so good.

Trust me, as a person who recently got rid of a fiance who exhibited similar tendancies as your gf does, I think it's much easier just to get the "Freedom" App. It's not available in Cydia, but it comes with the free bonus in-app add ons of "I have more $ now" and "What on earth was I thinking?". ;)

I like you ngenerator, I like you.

troy14

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2008
Las Vegas (Summerlin), NV
I don't get the issue whenever this topic comes up. People say 'don't give your phone to your friends if you can't trust them' or 'what do you have that you really need to hide'.

I too was looking for this solution for a while, but I used mAdvlock and switched over to Locktopus.

I don't care if my friends go on my phone, play angry birds, check ESPN, not one bit. But as soon as they click that SMS app or Mail app, I get a bit worried. I don't know WHAT I have in there. I could be talking @#$% about their mom for all I know. The fact is that the iPhone saves literally EVERYTHING. I have text messages from last Christmas.

"Get better friends", my friends are fine. Who wouldn't want to be a bit nosey sometimes.

It's just for your own satisfaction. If I can give my phone away knowing that no one can get in my Mail or SMS, I am a happy camper. I don't see why you should care.

moebius

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2007
I don't get the issue whenever this topic comes up. People say 'don't give your phone to your friends if you can't trust them' or 'what do you have that you really need to hide'.

I too was looking for this solution for a while, but I used mAdvlock and switched over to Locktopus.

I don't care if my friends go on my phone, play angry birds, check ESPN, not one bit. But as soon as they click that SMS app or Mail app, I get a bit worried. I don't know WHAT I have in there. I could be talking @#$% about their mom for all I know. The fact is that the iPhone saves literally EVERYTHING. I have text messages from last Christmas.

"Get better friends", my friends are fine. Who wouldn't want to be a bit nosey sometimes.

It's just for your own satisfaction. If I can give my phone away knowing that no one can get in my Mail or SMS, I am a happy camper. I don't see why you should care.

I know the person who opened this thread is in search of tech advice, not psych.

However, I don't believe setting a password in the apps will make his GF stop. Probably the best way is just hiding the icons for the apps he wants to conceal, unless the GF is somehow knowledgeable about how to find those apps, is the best solution.

ngenerator

macrumors 68000
May 12, 2009
USG Ishimura
Sorry, to actually be helpful now, how about this: My vote goes for madvlock or whatever it's called. I think it comes with a 7 day trial, so you can't go wrong with trying it out. I liked it when I had it, but as I said above, I don't need it anymore :D

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca
Sorry, to actually be helpful now, how about this: My vote goes for madvlock or whatever it's called. I think it comes with a 7 day trial, so you can't go wrong with trying it out. I liked it when I had it, but as I said above, I don't need it anymore :D

I'll go ahead and try this app out first. However cannot help with the impressed by all the good reviews 4 locktppus to ill see. Ill post my thoughts in a few days perhaps.

ngenerator

macrumors 68000
May 12, 2009
USG Ishimura
I'd double check to make sure locktopus doesn't have the security issue that Musclenerd (I believe it was him) tweeted about around the time it released. If someone did some specific steps, it could bypass the lock with no issues, but I could be way out of the loop by now. If your GF doesn't follow his tweets or knows exactly what the app is called to Google how to bypass it however, I think you'd be alright.

Ksane

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2010
I'd double check to make sure locktopus doesn't have the security issue that Musclenerd (I believe it was him) tweeted about around the time it released. If someone did some specific steps, it could bypass the lock with no issues, but I could be way out of the loop by now. If your GF doesn't follow his tweets or knows exactly what the app is called to Google how to bypass it however, I think you'd be alright.
You might be talking about the ability to use the search/spotlight to still get into some locked apps (such as mail). People can still see your emails when they search in spotlight. I didn't like the spotlight/search so I had a program called "NoSpot" from Cydia on mine. It did away with it.

johndoe588

macrumors regular
Apr 27, 2007
Upstate New York
I like it when this topic comes up as I too am looking for the right app. I let lots of office mates play with my iPad and have convinced a couple to get one. I don't want them to accidentally stumble upon my mail or pictures, for whatever reason. I'm sad when this topic comes up as it will bring out those who say the solution is their own brand of moral and ethical superiority, or the cashing in of friends, spouse, or girlfriend.

Sorry. When using Locktopus is the wiggly icon thing just for setup and after that touching an icon will bring up a password window? Thanks!

John B.

johndoe588

macrumors regular
Apr 27, 2007
Upstate New York
Locktopus

What the heck, for 2 bucks I figured I'd try it myself.

Locktopus on the iPad will do just fine for my purposes. I'm on 3.2.1 and have several folders made using Categories/SB. Putting the screen in wiggle mode lets you lock individual apps, or a folder. I found you can't lock apps while they are in a folder, they have to come out, be locked, then put back.

When apps are locked, tapping them in the search page after searching for them will bring up the password window. If an app is in a locked folder but not itself locked search will allow access! So be careful.

Worth the $2.00, to me.

John B.

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca
The real question should be this: Does she have an older, more trusting sister?

lol.

So I bought the app last night and I was up and running in under 5 minutes. My most precious apps are locked now which is great...however they're also my most used apps so now I gotta get used to having to quickly type in my password each time I wanna open these apps.

A great app. Worth two dollars. I just gotta figured out the most elegant solution for folders till the nov. update comes.

johndoe588

macrumors regular
Apr 27, 2007
Upstate New York
A great app. Worth two dollars. I just gotta figured out the most elegant solution for folders till the nov. update comes.

That's easy. Categories and CategoriesSB. The first is free and the SB variant isn't much. They work well for me. You can put folders in the dock. You can lock them with Locktopus. I use Categories on my 3GS with 4.0, and much prefer it to Apples idea of folders.

John B.

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca
That's easy. Categories and CategoriesSB. The first is free and the SB variant isn't much. They work well for me. You can put folders in the dock. You can lock them with Locktopus. I use Categories on my 3GS with 4.0, and much prefer it to Apples idea of folders.

John B.

I downloaded Categories a few ago ago and now have everything in one page...

i'll look into Categories SB..

I'm just not a fan of the folders being a bit pixelated; im assuming it all looks well on an iPhone or iPod Touch but obviously they can look a bit grainy on the iPad.

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca
Alright. So it's been a day and am loving the app.

My only qualm now is that every time I want to open an app I gotta put in my password. Of course this should come as no surprise considering this is what the app was meant to do. And even today when I showered my gf asked what the password was but obviously didn't tell it to her. ....needless to say the appnis working perfectly...

But back to the situation at hand now:

Obviously the iPad is for myself...earlier today when I was at school I found it kinda a pain to have to keep putting in a password to repeatedly open my most used apps.

So my question is...fir those of you that have the app, is there anyway to disable the need to enter a password? So that way after I leave work and head home I can require a password but when I leave to school and work in the morning I can disablenthe need for one.

Please say yes?
:)

Dorkington

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2010

I password lock all my devices and make my gf very aware not to go into my stuff.

If she asks me about anything, I'll tell her. But frankly, even in a relationship, individuals still deserve privacy.

If I had a gf that was constantly trying to snoop through my stuff, even if I have nothing to hide, she'd be out of here, plain and simple.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.